Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Ricojesse

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Angry Engine rattle / ticking

I just bought my new 2016 Camaro 2SS and I've had it for about a month worth of driving. All the sudden it started making a weird ticking/rattling noise with rpms between 1500-2500. There was also a significant reduction in throttle response. Took it straight to the dealer, at first they thought it was the lifters but all of them were working fine, then the replaced the fuel pump, still didn't fix it. The car is still there and they have no idea whats wrong. They are having GM engineers fly out to assess the problem. They said they are gonna do 1 of 2 things, either replace the whole tranny or the whole engine. The car is only 1 month old! It doesn't even have license plates yet! Has anyone heard anything about this? I feel like this is ridiculous, its been in the shop more than its been with me.. Anybody have any insight on this? Maybe i can ask them for payments to be comped, or for some of the aftermarket parts that were released by GM for the Camaro. whats your guys opinions?
Ricojesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Things break, it'll get fixed, one way or another, and yes , you can ask for payments while the car is in the shop… Usually the area service rep can approve that on the spot. However Gm Will not be giving you a new car. They have the right thru warranty to fix it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Ricojesse

Not to worried about a getting a new car but i just don't see how they cant pin point the problem. Replacing the whole engine seems pretty severe to me. Especially in a car with under 1000 miles on it.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
what do you mean by payments to be comped? newbie here.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Ricojesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
what do you mean by payments to be comped? newbie here.
Having GM take a payment or two off the car since they've had the car in the shop more than ive been able to drive it. Basically im paying for a $42K car while im driving around a chevy cruze. (gas mileage is nice tho) haha.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
ocautomotive

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2018 SS 1LE
https://youtu.be/LhoKVYxOOPo

Sound like this?
ocautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
cooley376

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall
I hope they get it taken care of for you. In most states, mine included, the lemon law states so many times for 1 problem or so many hours in the shop. Sounds like you have the so many hours part. GM and every manufacturer doesn't have any rights through warranty, YOU DO. You also have rights through other laws to protect you, which is why lemon laws exist.you may very well have a right to another new car or even a complete buyback. Myself and my wife just went through this with her jeep that she bought before we were married. Long story short, with the help of an attorney when Chrysler wouldn't take care of us it got bought back. That same attorney is now waiting on the go ahead with my junk 2ss.
cooley376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Ricojesse

I was thinking about Lemon Law. This is the first time it has happened and yes it has spent alot of time at the dealer. (it has been there since Feb. 16th) They had a GM engineer fly out to the dealer and take a look with his computers and i still didnt get a specific answer, what they said was something internally was heating up too much causing the lifters to malfunction. So what they are doing is replacing the whole engine, its being shipped from back east and will be in tomorrow and hopefully i will have the car back tuesday/wed. I will post an update when i get the car back.

Also to answer the youtube clip above ^ the sound mine was making wasn't as deep as that one. Mine sounded almost like a card ticking in a bike spoke.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
MikeyCamaro

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I wonder if this could be related to the oil pressure issue/fix. In any case, best of luck getting it back on the road!

Mike
MikeyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Ricojesse

Update: Finally got the car back, so far so good no more noise. Taking it a bit easy to break in the new engine. Car is very tight driving feels like it came right off the assembly line. Clutch is the only thing that feels a but rougher than before but not sure if thats because i need to get re used to driving with a clutch after driving an automatic for a month. Air filter was a bit loose but fixed it right up. They cleaned it up nice and detailed it. Other than that they did a great job, they're also looking into to reimbursing me for 2 months of payments so good news there!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Wow, sounds like they took good care of you! Awesome! Glad to hear it.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
What was wrong with it?? lol
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
Ricojesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
What was wrong with it?? lol
They never gave me a straight answer because i dont think they ever found out exactly. What they told me was that after the engine warmed up something in cylinders 1 & 8 was creating to much heat causing the lifters to malfunction. The engineer that flew out didn't want the dealer to tear it apart any more so they just shipped a new engine.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
You know, that is pretty damn good service. Sorry it took them a month to do it and I hope you are compensated, but them replacing that engine to make you whole again and not worry about a patched up engine is quite nice. Good luck with this new one.