Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: Chevy
Engine heat/Cold Air intake

I hope Im not reposting this question guys, but im sure we all know the V8's run pretty hot(atleast mines always really warm). Has anyone found a difference in cold-air intakes or power with different intake mods?

I have a K&N cold air intake on mine now, but it looks like the way the Injen Cold air intakes filter is positioned, take the advantage over K&N by getting colder air being farther away from the engine. Any inputs?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
JRE Independent CAI testing thread. They have one for the V8 and the one for the V6
Old 05-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: Chevy
Thanks for the help. Im wondering if now I should trade in my K&N for an Injen!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Up to you. JRE's test results pretty much speak for themselves. After that it becomes a personal choice.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
The farther away from the heat the better,thus Cold air intake.You know how your car runs like a Rhino when it's cold,continuous cold air is da chit!
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Our system gets its air from the same place as the Injen system you are thinking about. After we get the air we keep it cold by insulating our intake box.We also coat our intake tubes inside and out with ceramic which acts as a heat barrier to keep heat from soaking through to your intake air. Take a look at the picture, we use thermal imaging to make sure our insulated boxes are doing there job. Our system is very high quality, we have sold thousands and have a lot of happy customers. The V8 system gets 14 HP to the wheels with the hood closed on a load cell chassis Dyno. We also design our own filters. The system is available in black or silver, both look great. Let me know if you have any questions. You can also check out our website for a lot of great information.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Here is an article from our blog that discusses several of the popular intake designs. I hope it helps.

What Is The Best Air Intake System For The Camaro SS?

Added Oct 1, 2010, Under: Camaro

A common question we hear from new 5th generation Camaro SS owners is, “What is the best air intake for the Camaro?”. With performance parts there is rarely a blanket “best” anything, only solutions that are best for specific purposes and applications. There are dozens of intakes systems of varying designs available for these cars and it can be a little overwhelming trying to narrow things down, especially if you don’t understand what makes a good air intake. In this post I will try to help you understand a little more about aftermarket air intake systems in general and more specifically the three most common designs. My hope is that this will help you narrow things down a little more and enable you to make an educated decision about what is best for your application rather than relying on an internet “expert” telling you what he has installed on his own car.

HOW DO AFTERMARKET AIR INTAKE SYSTEMS WORK?

Vehicle engineers have many factors other than maximum performance to consider when they design OEM intake systems (noise level, fuel economy, emissions, etc.) and in the process leave plenty of room for improvement. Aftermarket air intake systems replace the factory air box and tubing with more efficient components designed to create more power. The two big things that aftermarket air intakes systems strive to do are:

1) Draw in large amounts of cool dense air from outside the hot engine compartment. The more air your engine can suck in and push out the more power it will make.

2) Reduce the restriction in the intake system by increasing the diameter of the tubing, smoothing out the interior of the intake, eliminating baffles and muffling devices, and limiting the number and severity of any bends in the tubing.

Aftermarket air intake manufacturers address these tasks in many different ways but the three most common types of intake designs are the long tube, heat shield, and sealed air box systems. Prices vary considerably, from as low as $200 up to as much as $600, as does the improvement in performance. Poorly designed systems can actually cause your engine to make less power, while a quality system can add 10-20 rear wheel horsepower. In your search you will no doubt come across advertisements that mention outlandish horsepower gains, this should be an instant red flag.

LONG TUBE SYSTEM

What is the most logical way ensure that you are drawing cool fresh air from outside the engine compartment into your intake? Place the air filter outside the engine compartment! That is exactly what is done with the long tube intake systems. Injen Technology is probably the most well known manufacturer that utilizes this approach. These systems ditch the stock intake tube and air box lay out for a long intake tube that places the air filter outside the engine compartment behind the front facia. This approach typically produces solid horsepower gains across the entire RPM range in stock and mildly modified cars.

So the long tube design is best! Well, not necessarily. The low placement of the air filter behind the front bumper leaves it vulnerable to ingesting water which can lead to a hydro-locked engine. That is the kind of thing that would not be covered under warranty. Also, the multiple 90 degree bends in the intake tube cause restriction that will actually hold back higher power engines. This is especially true for those with forced induction.

HEAT SHIELD SYSTEM

These systems opt to keep the filter inside the engine compartment and utilize the same general lay out as the stock system in an effort to avoid the shortcomings of the long tube design. K&N and AIRAID are the two best known manufacturers employing this design. The stock intake tube is replaced with a more efficient tube that eliminates the stock baffles and muffling and reduces the severity of the single bend. The stock air box is replaced by a heat shield and a rubber weather strip that lines the edge of the shield to seal with the car’s body and hood to isolate the air filter from the hot engine compartment. Cool air is typically fed into the sealed off area by the same channel from the front grill that fed the stock air box. These type of intake systems are typically the most affordable because they are relatively easy to engineer and inexpensive to manufacture.

The performance improvement from intakes of this design vary greatly from system to system. Some produce decent gains while others produce little to no gains whatsoever, in some cases very poorly engineered systems have even shown losses. The units that produce good gains are the better engineered systems that do not leave gaps around the heat shield and achieve a good seal. When considering a system of this design it is critical that you ensure the heat shield is designed to completely isolate the air filter from the engine compartment. If there are gaps, look at another system. Also, pay attention to how severe the 90 degree bend in the intake tube just forward of the throttle body is (as wide and gradual of a bend as possible) and if the system takes steps to resist heat (material, coatings, insulation).

SEALED AIR BOX SYSTEM

The sealed air box design employs the same lay out as the heat shield and stock intake system but utilizes a sealed air box in order to avoid the shortcomings of the heat shield design. Gaps around a heat shield or a bad weather strip seal are not an issue with these systems as the air filter is completely isolated from the hot engine compartment. These air boxes are much larger than the stock box they replace and contain a much larger air filter. Like the heat shield design, the restrictive stock tube is replaced with a more efficient tube and the air box is fed cool air through the same channel from the front grill that fed the stock air box. Cold Aid Inductions Inc. (CAI Inc.) is the leading manufacturer of this type of intake system for the 2010+ Camaro.

This design typically produces strong horsepower gains for everything from stock cars all the way up to high powered monsters. When considering a sealed air box system pay attention to how severe the 90 degree bend in the intake tube just forward of the throttle body is (as wide and gradual of a bend as possible) and whether or not the system takes steps to resist heat (material, coatings, insulation).

CONCLUSION

As with most performance parts, there is no one and only “best” but many solutions that are better in different ways. Hopefully you will now be better equipped to make a judgement about what is the right solution for your application.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Orange2010SS

Drives: Orange 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
The system is available in black or silver, both look great. Let me know if you have any questions. You can also check out our website for a lot of great information.
Hi Bill, I just placed an order yesterday for one of your systems for my 2010 SS. However I did not see an option on your site for Black or Silver. I only see the Silver in the picture. Do you have any picture comparisons of the two and would it be too late to select my color? Not sure how quickly these ship.

Thanks.
Orange2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange2010SS View Post
Hi Bill, I just placed an order yesterday for one of your systems for my 2010 SS. However I did not see an option on your site for Black or Silver. I only see the Silver in the picture. Do you have any picture comparisons of the two and would it be too late to select my color? Not sure how quickly these ship.

Thanks.
Here you go.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Orange2010SS

Drives: Orange 2010 2SS LS3
Awesome. Thx Apex Chase. Think I'll go with Black. That looks sweet.
Orange2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange2010SS View Post
Awesome. Thx Apex Chase. Think I'll go with Black. That looks sweet.
No problem, we have them in stock and ready to ship.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
The black system looks reallly nice. My Camaro is yellow and it really gets attention under the hood! I like the whole CAI Inc. concept of keeping the air cool through insulating their box and ceramic coating there tubes. I also purchased some items through Apex and they were great to work with! Between CAI Inc. and Apex you can't go wrong!!
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote