Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
new battery

i just picked up the DieHard Gold Group Size 94R battery. i am installing on saturday. i have the CTEK Multi US 4.3 tender hooked up to it. seems like when i got it it was at 80 percent. like to get it to 100 percent before i install it. i am sure this tender will take a day to get it to 100 percent. just asking if its ok i thanks guys.
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
While it might do the job, generally a Battery Tender is not a full blown charger. It's always handy to have a regular charger around the garage either way... though that may just be because I've always got a dozen different cars from all time periods sitting around waiting to be started (?), LOL.

I personally would put the battery in, crank her up (80% should turn over) and let it charge the natural way. Then, if you're going to store it, shut her down and hook up the trickle.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
While it might do the job, generally a Battery Tender is not a full blown charger. It's always handy to have a regular charger around the garage either way... though that may just be because I've always got a dozen different cars from all time periods sitting around waiting to be started (?), LOL.

I personally would put the battery in, crank her up (80% should turn over) and let it charge the natural way. Then, if you're going to store it, shut her down and hook up the trickle.
thank you. yes the best way is to install is to put it in the car and turn it over . figure why not hook up the tender untill saturday i am sure the tender will not get it to 100 percent as the battery was never installed
Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIC1 View Post
i just picked up the DieHard Gold Group Size 94R battery. i am installing on saturday. i have the CTEK Multi US 4.3 tender hooked up to it. seems like when i got it it was at 80 percent. like to get it to 100 percent before i install it. i am sure this tender will take a day to get it to 100 percent. just asking if its ok i thanks guys.
This is the correct way to instal a new battery. Batteries have a memory when they are new. When you buy a battery new and all they do is fill it up with acid, they don't put it on a slow charge, 2 amps or less till it reaches fully charged. That is up to you to do this. If you put a new battery in the car and start it up at 80% the battery will never exceed 80% capacity.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
ELIC1
Account Suspended

100 percent i am at
Attached Images