Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #29
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eata34 View Post
The real world sucks starting off. This I know. I don't plan on getting the 2SS within the next 2 or 3-5 years. But I will make it in life. I WILL have my 2SS and my ZL1. I work hard for what I want. I'm just not sure of what exactly needs to be done to get where I want to be. I did think about the fuel cost and insurance. It would obviously be a bad idea for me atm because I'm young and that's money down the drain. However, I am a responsible young guy. My grandpa bought me a 2011 camaro 2LT RS for graduation this year. I pay nothing for it. Not even gas. My grandpa gave me a card with about 3k in gas. And it can only be used for gas. So it comes in handy when saving money. But again, engine power is not a problem. Everyone has preferences. And everyone is different. But thanks for thanks the advice. Hopefully I get somewhere soon
This is a dad responding so take it FWIW.

I sounded just like you when I was 18. I wanted a Honda Interceptor 1100, I think it was. Now I look back and realize I was being ridiculous. I couldnt afford a Honda scooter in reality. You say your grandpa bought your car and you dont even pay gas? You are going to be SHOCKED at how many bills you have when you are out on your own. Owning a $40,000 car is for people who can afford $650/month payments. That is a very small percentage of people in this world.

My son is graduating college in the spring with a chemistry degree. He works as a high school referee and has a line on a job when he graduates making $30,000 as a chemist at a distillery. he already owns his own home that he paid the downpayment on and rents out rooms. He has no rent or house payment, the tenants pay it for him. He pays the utilities and his own groceries. He drives a hand me down 2005 Toyota Highlander. Maybe buying a house as an investment would be a better plan than a $40,000 car worth $30,000 when you leave the lot.

He said wants a $30,000 car (270z) when he gets this job. I explained to him that he can only afford a $20,000 car (1LT 4 cyl) with his bills. He can mod it as he saves money.

I get that you are not buying tomorrow but this advice is always good. Save money. Don't owe anyone except for a mortgage and MAYBE a car if you are stable. And remember: Life is what happens when you are planning for other things, dude. Don't be surprised if you meet a girl and your priorities change radically.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #30
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
I wanted a Camaro bad since I was 17. Now I'm 42, with Wife, 3 kids, master's & bachelor's degrees paid off, family car HHR 2LT paid off, & mortgage and now I finally can afford & bought my no options 1SS. 72 months at 2.29% with 780+ credit score. Don't stop chasing your dreams, but many of us old dudes have been working hard towards our dream cars for a long, long, long time.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #31
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
Also take everything these people tell you lightly because everyone has made their financial choices whether they be good or bad, they got them to where they are today. Some may be debt free and driving a turbo 4 while one is 100k in debt and driving a 2ss, or vise versa.

One thing I live by is DON'T TAKE FINANCIAL ADVICE FROM A BROKE PERSON. I always get people trying to tell me how to manage money while they are $150,000 in debt not including their home. Like I said before, you can never do too much research on this type of stuff.
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #32
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Quote:
I didn't know Lineman took alot of money for student loans? If so, please inform me on what you know about Lineman careers. I really dont want to go into a job that I night not like. And the schooling is only 3 months, and about 2k for everything. Tuitions, books, and fees. Am I missing something? Is there more schooling to be done? My college professor must have not told me about this. I'm a little confused at this point on what I actually need to do in life
I'm just saying income is important but don't immediately buy into the college trap for a big $ job unless you find a field you're passionate about that requires it. Lineman isn't necessarily a bad choice, just be carefully bc that big money for a job like that can trap guys that maybe don't love the work. Try some different things, find your personal strengths and use them to your advantage.

I like your general direction for sure though. There can only be so many paper pushers in the world and sooner or later someone has to do actual work to create/accomplish something. The lineman I've know typically spent a decent amount of time away from home doing dangerous work and were broke down physically before their time. Keep in mind that it's not a job for older guys, and the skill set for it has limited transferability to other professions.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #33
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
You can buy a pretty effing cool gen2 for under $15k if you have to have a camaro. Most of them at this point will have a healthy engine and will get more attention than a gen6 at a cruise night.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #34
Eata34

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
I'm just saying income is important but don't immediately buy into the college trap for a big $ job unless you find a field you're passionate about that requires it. Lineman isn't necessarily a bad choice, just be carefully bc that big money for a job like that can trap guys that maybe don't love the work. Try some different things, find your personal strengths and use them to your advantage.

I like your general direction for sure though. There can only be so many paper pushers in the world and sooner or later someone has to do actual work to create/accomplish something. The lineman I've know typically spent a decent amount of time away from home doing dangerous work and were broke down physically before their time. Keep in mind that it's not a job for older guys, and the skill set for it has limited transferability to other professions.
So if you don't mind me asking, what other job opportunities could I be looking at that still pay well? I'm not too sure about college because I feel like I'll be in debt
Eata34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #35
Eata34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
This is a dad responding so take it FWIW.

I sounded just like you when I was 18. I wanted a Honda Interceptor 1100, I think it was. Now I look back and realize I was being ridiculous. I couldnt afford a Honda scooter in reality. You say your grandpa bought your car and you dont even pay gas? You are going to be SHOCKED at how many bills you have when you are out on your own. Owning a $40,000 car is for people who can afford $650/month payments. That is a very small percentage of people in this world.

My son is graduating college in the spring with a chemistry degree. He works as a high school referee and has a line on a job when he graduates making $30,000 as a chemist at a distillery. he already owns his own home that he paid the downpayment on and rents out rooms. He has no rent or house payment, the tenants pay it for him. He pays the utilities and his own groceries. He drives a hand me down 2005 Toyota Highlander. Maybe buying a house as an investment would be a better plan than a $40,000 car worth $30,000 when you leave the lot.

He said wants a $30,000 car (270z) when he gets this job. I explained to him that he can only afford a $20,000 car (1LT 4 cyl) with his bills. He can mod it as he saves money.

I get that you are not buying tomorrow but this advice is always good. Save money. Don't owe anyone except for a mortgage and MAYBE a car if you are stable. And remember: Life is what happens when you are planning for other things, dude. Don't be surprised if you meet a girl and your priorities change radically.
Do you have an other job opportunities that you could suggest beside's a lineman that I might like? I'm really second guessing this lineman career. I'm still young. I have no idea where to start. But I want a good paying career with less chance of injuring or killing myself
Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #36
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
Quote:
So if you don't mind me asking, what other job opportunities could I be looking at that still pay well? I'm not too sure about college because I feel like I'll be in debt
Sounds like you're picking your career based off of their respective salaries. I recommend not doing that because as they say, If you are doing something you love, you'll never work a day in your life

Find something you love and pursue that career.
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #37
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
When I was your age I spent most of my money on cars, girls, and beer. The rest I just wasted.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #38
Eata34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar05 View Post
Sounds like you're picking your career based off of their respective salaries. I recommend not doing that because as they say, If you are doing something you love, you'll never work a day in your life

Find something you love and pursue that career.
Do you believe that saying is true though? I want something less life threatening, but something that my work pays off for. That's the thing, I don't know what I love. How do i find what I love?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #39
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
Sales is one of the highest paying jobs. It takes hard work and dedication but a career in sales can easily provide an income of $60k+ in the first full year and over 6 figures within a short time as well.

Keep in mind, this also leaves you without the costly school bills that a lot of others pay for a decade or more.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #40
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
A lot of good advices on here. I'm 36 and while working as a PC tech, took years of working to get an SS and to be able to save money. Where you live, makes a difference. I live in Southern Cal, Redondo Beach area so a small one bedroom here is around 2k +.. That's just rent!! Houses are 800k+ on average easily.

Granted I have roommates and split the cost so I have free money after my car note, rent, insurance, cell phone bills, gas, food, internet bills, credit card bills etc.. the list goes on lol

Living and supporting yourself is not an easy task if you splurge. Live practically and you'll be fine. A Camaro SS is nothing practical at all so keep that in mind. It's a toy. The 2.0 or V6 is much more practical and affordable.

My advice? Unless you're making 60k+, stay away from expensive cities if want to afford an SS. Then again, everyone lives a dif lifestyle so a person making 100k could have more financial problems than a person making 30k.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #41
Juliannnt

Drives: Mosaic Black on Black. 2017 M6 2SS.
I'm 23 and my bank gave me a 40k loan because of my awesome credit. Telling you right now man, take care of your credit like it's your child. It will pay off in the near future. Not just with cars, but with apartments and a whole bunch of other stuff. Long story short, life is a lot easier with good credit! Just be attentive to your spending habits, don't go nuts, stay within your means, and you will be alright brother.
Juliannnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #42
Juliannnt

Drives: Mosaic Black on Black. 2017 M6 2SS.
Quote:
Do you believe that saying is true though? I want something less life threatening, but something that my work pays off for. That's the thing, I don't know what I love. How do i find what I love?
Don't even worry about it dude. Just go to school, do your thing, and eventually you will land on something that will just click. I went through the same thing you are.. It sucked a lot of ass being so unsure all the time, but eventually I found my passion, and now i'm a graphic designer at a tech company (I started college off pre-med LOL)
Juliannnt is offline   Reply With Quote