Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Interesting stories guys, thanks for sharing.

There is only so much the test drivers or the salesman can do to damage the car. Short of redlining it for so long that it damages the engine or bounce off the curbs or offroading with a Camaro. Not likely imo.

New buyers have B to B coverage for 3 years, 60k on PT, so what's there to worry about. Most of us dont keep a car more than 5 years anyways. These are not classics and they depreciate rather fast, and when you sell nobody cares you pampered it or not. Just miles, clean title and maybe history of oil change.

This anal behavior is just because of the love for the thing . Just like the new girl friend, you buy gifts and dinners and you care ( Floor mats, breathable covers, LED all around) and then over time it just becomes routine and you tell her to stay quiet so you can watch your football game.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
I agree - I only buy cars that have fewer than 10 miles on them. However, this 2SS had 76 miles already, but was the last on their lot and had the 20% tag, so we took it anyway. Beggars can't be choosers in that scenario!

I ordered the STi brand new, but my 2016 Mustang GT was found sitting on a dealer lot with only 3 miles on it.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
With my first Camaro I bought it off the incoming dealer inventory and took it with 3 miles on it right off the truck in November 2009. Then I proceeded to fuss and worry about it and mod the hell out of it. I tried to never drive in the rain or take it to anyplace unsafe. I fretted about every little scratch or chip. Then when it was time to sell it June 2014 I barely got what it was worth unmodded - no dollar return on the mods as one can expect. I loved having that car but I also made it stressful because I was so anal about it.

When I jumped back in the game March of this year I expected I'd need to order so I could get what I wanted. To my amazement the dealer located exactly what I wanted at a dealership 150 miles away. So the next day I took the car with 200 miles on the odometer with no regrets. It was in perfect condition inside and out. Who knows how those first 200 miles were driven. I decided I didn't care. I was not going to be all anal about this car. I'm not wasting performance mod money on it and I drive it whenever and wherever I want rain or shine. I have 5500 miles of smiles so far!

Its a great car - better in every way than my 5th gen and those first 200 miles don't mean anything in the big scheme. Its a beautiful car. Its a fun car. But in the end - its just a car.
Everything you said is exactly true for me! I woried so much about my previous Camaro that I didn't enjoy it. This time around I also bought a off the lot car with a little over 200 miles on it and it has been great! I also got a good discount off of msrp because I took a lot car rather than ordering
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #18
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
Mine had 7 miles on it when I took delivery off the showroom floor. I don't think it saw much action at all prior to me taking it home.
I followed mine mile to mile to dealership from a few days after it was born and it arrived with 6 miles. No one ever drove your car on a test drive 9/10. I followed with onstar.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #19
italiano687

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1lt
Quote:
With my first Camaro I bought it off the incoming dealer inventory and took it with 3 miles on it right off the truck in November 2009. Then I proceeded to fuss and worry about it and mod the hell out of it. I tried to never drive in the rain or take it to anyplace unsafe. I fretted about every little scratch or chip. Then when it was time to sell it June 2014 I barely got what it was worth unmodded - no dollar return on the mods as one can expect. I loved having that car but I also made it stressful because I was so anal about it.

When I jumped back in the game March of this year I expected I'd need to order so I could get what I wanted. To my amazement the dealer located exactly what I wanted at a dealership 150 miles away. So the next day I took the car with 200 miles on the odometer with no regrets. It was in perfect condition inside and out. Who knows how those first 200 miles were driven. I decided I didn't care. I was not going to be all anal about this car. I'm not wasting performance mod money on it and I drive it whenever and wherever I want rain or shine. I have 5500 miles of smiles so far!

Its a great car - better in every way than my 5th gen and those first 200 miles don't mean anything in the big scheme. Its a beautiful car. Its a fun car. But in the end - its just a car.

I agree, mine had about 120 miles on it when I took delivery. The dealer had to get if from another location. I got a great deal and the car only had one flaw that was easily taken care of( the dreaded passenger door ding from being to close to another vehicle on the lot I assume). Pointless dent removal covered by the dealer at a time of my choosing. I'm happy with the car and all the goodies in it. It is way more of a car than my 2015 was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
italiano687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #20
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Mine was dealer traded and came with 285 miles still sold as brand new. I could care less if it had 2 miles or 300 miles. I never understood how some people get bothered by this. Again mine is a daily driver that got modded practically right away and is under the knife as we speak lol. If it's a new car guys just relax and enjoy. life is too short to stress the small things
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:02 PM   #21
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Mine had 80 miles. Dealer said it was a trade so they drove it for another local dealer.
Car is perfect - I have found no issues. At 2500 now.

And ya -20pct tag on mine so whatever !!

On my Colorado I had ordered one and waited 2 months without acceptance by factory. So I ended up finding one in inventory about 125 miles away. Rented a car to get there and drove it home. So that one had over 130 miles when I got it home. But had 8 when I took delivery. Pretty sure it hadn't been on a test drive as the seats still had plastic on them. Not that I would have cared btw. It's a truck !

Manual trans SS I'm more worried about. But I don't give it a second thought.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #22
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Drove the 4 hours to pick mine up from a dealer in another state because I didn't want to do the deal in my own state and then have the dealer drive it up. Had 11 miles on it when I picked it up. Best thing about doing that was that it was a week ago and it was nearly 70 degrees so I drive for 250m with the top down the whole way home. Now that's the way to break in a car!
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #23
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
Interesting stories guys, thanks for sharing.

There is only so much the test drivers or the salesman can do to damage the car. Short of redlining it for so long that it damages the engine or bounce off the curbs or offroading with a Camaro. Not likely imo.

New buyers have B to B coverage for 3 years, 60k on PT, so what's there to worry about. Most of us dont keep a car more than 5 years anyways. These are not classics and they depreciate rather fast, and when you sell nobody cares you pampered it or not. Just miles, clean title and maybe history of oil change.

This anal behavior is just because of the love for the thing . Just like the new girl friend, you buy gifts and dinners and you care ( Floor mats, breathable covers, LED all around) and then over time it just becomes routine and you tell her to stay quiet so you can watch your football game.
Speak for yourself. There are a lot of us who intend on keeping this car a very long time. I am on only my 3rd brand new car since 1999. So far I've kept them 10.5 years and 7 years. I plan on keeping the Camaro well over 100,000 miles.

Also, no one who bought a 1957 Chevy Bell Air with the 263 V8 would have ever thought it'd be worth what it is now 60 years later either. As a car enthusiast of classics, muscle, and modern classics I've learned over the years you just don't know what cars will hold their value and which ones won't..... late 80s Fox body Mustang GTs are getting 5 figures for good condition now. They were only $13,000 brand new in 1989.

Break in procedure is essential for long term reliability and performance. I've always ordered my cars and will continue to do so.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #24
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:

To my amazement the dealer located exactly what I wanted at a dealership 150 miles away. So the next day I took the car with 200 miles on the odometer with no regrets. It was in perfect condition inside and out. Who knows how those first 200 miles were driven. I decided I didn't care. I was not going to be all anal about this car. I'm not wasting performance mod money on it and I drive it whenever and wherever I want rain or shine. I have 5500 miles of smiles so far!

Exactly my story -the mileage changes slightly - but yes. I have a warranty - and its really just a lovely mass produced car. I wont stay awake wondering if a bird shit on it, or a kid stared at it too closely and scared it or some idiot floored it to 7k rpm on a possible short test drive before I got it.. or even the guy who drove it from one dealership to another varied the rpm.

It has 3500 km on it after 17 days of ownership and im getting the oil changed and diff fluid swapped out as I type. Ill do my share and trust the engineers got their shit together and built a machine able to handle being used.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #25
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Speak for yourself. There are a lot of us who intend on keeping this car a very long time. I am on only my 3rd brand new car since 1999. So far I've kept them 10.5 years and 7 years. I plan on keeping the Camaro well over 100,000 miles.

Also, no one who bought a 1957 Chevy Bell Air with the 263 V8 would have ever thought it'd be worth what it is now 60 years later either. As a car enthusiast of classics, muscle, and modern classics I've learned over the years you just don't know what cars will hold their value and which ones won't..... late 80s Fox body Mustang GTs are getting 5 figures for good condition now. They were only $13,000 brand new in 1989.

Break in procedure is essential for long term reliability and performance. I've always ordered my cars and will continue to do so.
First off all, you can get to "well over 100,000 miles" in well under 7 years. Maybe you walk to work but I would say most people get that kind of mileage.

Second of all, what people "intend" and what people do is not the same. Statistically, most people have not kept their cars that's not a classic car more than 5 years.

Third of all, 6th gen Camaro will never be a classic car. Don't fool yourself dude, you've been blinded with love
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #26
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i'm not worried about the people test driving them, it's the employees working there . and can employees take them home? i never thought about it.
i actually was up right by a chevy dealer a couple months ago on a sunday night when the lot was closing and i noticed two new camaro's leaving. i guess employees were taking them for the night.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #27
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Usually the only people that can take the more premium cars home are sales managers and possibly high producer salesman that specialize in Camaros. Everybody else will get a Malibu or something like that, however after some insurance changes about 8 to 10 years ago, salesman no longer get a demo as part of their job. And a good service manager no longer lets the techs take a car home. They've learned from that debacle.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #28
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
i'm not worried about the people test driving them, it's the employees working there . and can employees take them home? i never thought about it.
i actually was up right by a chevy dealer a couple months ago on a sunday night when the lot was closing and i noticed two new camaro's leaving. i guess employees were taking them for the night.
On Sunday night they were being stolen.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote