Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Eata34

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
One reason I hate buying a dealer from the lot vs ordering from the factory

I just wanted to know if anyone thinks the same way I do about this. The reason I hate buying a car (specifically the new Camaros) from the dealer lot after they've been sitting is because of the customers who come to test drive these vehicles. Even though they need to be broken in, you have people who want to test the engine, power, throttle, exhaust, and drone noise. And the car has hardly ever been broken in.

But with ordering from the factory, you don't have to worry about that. Which is why I always order from the factory.

This is just a personal opinion guys. No hate here, just a thought that come to mind
Eata34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Of course if you buy one that basically has been demoed a lot you're going to get this. However with that sheer amount of cars that are on the lot now, a lot of them have not been driven and you don't face this problem. You do face some acid rain, some other finish problems but not use by customers. And we certainly proven that if you order a car it can come in with massive deficiencies too. Do your research and diligence on both counts.

A way you can kinda hit both, is ask the dealer to see his incoming availability report and pick out one that's coming in… They're coming in like crazy now, no problem.... new stock arriving all the time in a bigger dealer.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I wouldn't even consider a car that has > 100 miles on it as a new car. At that point, it's used in my eyes. I dont care if papers haven't been signed. Car is used.

Like glen said though, it shouldn't be hard to find something that hasn't been driven.

Unfortunately, anything you order you are likely going to pay closer to msrp than finding the same configuration on a lot.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
If it's an econobox or just something, then I wouldn't care. Give me a good discount! For the Camaro though, I ordered it! I'm going to keep this car for a while.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Mine had 7 miles on it when I took delivery off the showroom floor. I don't think it saw much action at all prior to me taking it home.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Talking about ordering from factory... to those who have done it, how does it work? Do you have to pay up front? What if they delivered and you told them you don't like it, for any reason? Do they keep the deposit? What if you start negotiating at that point?

MSRP prices are ridiculous, noone should pay the sticker price.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Shop around, I'm sure you'll be able to find one on the lot with no test drive miles. I found mine many states away with the exact color/options I wanted and had bonus tag and 9 miles on it.
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Factory Ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
Talking about ordering from factory... to those who have done it, how does it work? Do you have to pay up front? What if they delivered and you told them you don't like it, for any reason? Do they keep the deposit? What if you start negotiating at that point?

MSRP prices are ridiculous, noone should pay the sticker price.
Hi,

In the middle of the summer, I went to Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Norfolk VA and asked about a 2016 rag top Camaro that the franchise had in Georgia. There wasn't enough margin there for me to make the deal I wanted. They offered to let me order a 17. I looked at the retail price for the lovely 50th on their computer. They showed me how much they would come off of it, we checked the boxes on the other options I wanted, and they showed me the final total. Eight minutes flat from hello to handshake. I put a grand down and after every bit of the 8 to 12 weeks they cite for delivery (all 12 of them in fact) my car was carefully backed off the transport. I was there to witness everything including the initial bath, window tinting, and they let me drive over to fill it up on their charge card (premium fuel of course). I couldn't be happier with the car and the dealership. Ordering your own car is well worth it in my view. You know exactly what you are getting and because they give you a tracking number, you can follow it through production and shipping through on GM's website. Also, since it's "yours" GM's On Star options let you turn on (for a 4 buck fee per month) the family plan so you can monitor it. You'll know if there were any hard accelerations for example. Also, it pin points its location from the car's own cell phone. The best feature, you can set notices for when it travels through certain locations. Mine triggered for me on the interstate route to Norfolk and it also texted my cell phone when it arrived at the dealership.

Now that's living in the space age.

Kindest regards,

Donner

PS: this was the first car I ever ordered. I highly recommend doing it that way as well so long as you can handle waiting for the arrival of your very own dream machine.

Last edited by Donner; 11-17-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #9
1BlueSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I looked around for a while with the options I wanted. Couldn't find anything and didn't wanna settle. So I ordered mine. Took delivery with 4 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Mine sat on the showroom for at least 4 months, thankfully never driven.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Hi,

Contrary second thoughts. If one is just going to thrash it and trash it from the jump (meaning not following GM's recommended break in procedures) then buying a Camaro that fits one's mood straight off the lot might be the better way to go for some people. Especially if they are impatient. What difference does it make about who flogged it? Not that anyone would flog a car on the test drive right?

Just saying.

Kindest,

Donner
PS: do you know the difference between a rental car and a Hum Vee? There are just some places that a person wouldn't try to go in a Hum Vee. Probably the same for test drives.
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #12
John20162SS

Drives: 2016 2SS
I bought mine off the lot with only 5 miles on it
John20162SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
With my first Camaro I bought it off the incoming dealer inventory and took it with 3 miles on it right off the truck in November 2009. Then I proceeded to fuss and worry about it and mod the hell out of it. I tried to never drive in the rain or take it to anyplace unsafe. I fretted about every little scratch or chip. Then when it was time to sell it June 2014 I barely got what it was worth unmodded - no dollar return on the mods as one can expect. I loved having that car but I also made it stressful because I was so anal about it.

When I jumped back in the game March of this year I expected I'd need to order so I could get what I wanted. To my amazement the dealer located exactly what I wanted at a dealership 150 miles away. So the next day I took the car with 200 miles on the odometer with no regrets. It was in perfect condition inside and out. Who knows how those first 200 miles were driven. I decided I didn't care. I was not going to be all anal about this car. I'm not wasting performance mod money on it and I drive it whenever and wherever I want rain or shine. I have 5500 miles of smiles so far!

Its a great car - better in every way than my 5th gen and those first 200 miles don't mean anything in the big scheme. Its a beautiful car. Its a fun car. But in the end - its just a car.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
John20162SS

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
With my first Camaro I bought it off the incoming dealer inventory and took it with 3 miles on it right off the truck in November 2009. Then I proceeded to fuss and worry about it and mod the hell out of it. I tried to never drive in the rain or take it to anyplace unsafe. I fretted about every little scratch or chip. Then when it was time to sell it June 2014 I barely got what it was worth unmodded - no dollar return on the mods as one can expect. I loved having that car but I also made it stressful because I was so anal about it.

When I jumped back in the game March of this year I expected I'd need to order so I could get what I wanted. To my amazement the dealer located exactly what I wanted at a dealership 150 miles away. So the next day I took the car with 200 miles on the odometer with no regrets. It was in perfect condition inside and out. Who knows how those first 200 miles were driven. I decided I didn't care. I was not going to be all anal about this car. I'm not wasting performance mod money on it and I drive it whenever and wherever I want rain or shine. I have 5500 miles of smiles so far!

Its a great car - better in every way than my 5th gen and those first 200 miles don't mean anything in the big scheme. Its a beautiful car. Its a fun car. But in the end - its just a car.
I know what you mean but unfortunately, I am still anal
John20162SS is offline   Reply With Quote