Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
ajjones44

Drives: Fast
Military member with a big question??? I need you opinion

I have a question for you guys. I am returning from Iraq in a couple of months and the first thing I want to pick up is a Camaro. However, I will be going to Germany in the fall and the wifee is a little concerned about taking the car other there. She is mainly worried that it may get messed up. What do you guys think? BTW, she has blessed off on on Rushforth Wheels, Pedders suspension, TSP exhaust and a KB Supercharger. Not that I am trying to persuade you or anything. Thanks.
ajjones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
People succesfully bring cars over seas all the time...I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
40years

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS Hyper Blue Met.
FWIW, I would not worry about it either. On the plus side, you would get to really open her up on the Autobahn. Something most of us can only dream of doing. Good luck and THANK YOU for your service.
40years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
First Thank you for serving for us all!
Now get one and bring it over there and take it out on the autobahn.....
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I spent four years in Germany in the USAF back in the mid 80's. Back then many people brought their own cars over without a problem, you just have to do all the leg work. You will enjoy the roads over there they are much better than in the states. You will espically love the autobahn. Suggestion, LEARN GERMAN, this is very important, when you even try to communicate with the locals in German, they really treat you well. On the other hand, if you only try english, which they ALL learn in grammar school, they will treat you like sh*t. Good luck, and thanks for your service, where are you being stationed?
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
First, God bless you for your service to our country! I wouldn't worry either, my brother-in-law shipped his BMW and Mustang GT to & from Germany where he was stationed. He got to drive the Autobon too, I hope you get the chance with your new Camaro! Enjoy and be safe!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
NP I have heard so far on shipping a car over. They got that procedure down at this point. Thanks fo your service! And have fun rippin up The Bahn!

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
ajjones44

Drives: Fast
Thanks for the input guys!!!
ajjones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
:flag2: thanks for you service, take that car and dive it like I wish I could!! good luck man
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Atcer

Drives: 2LT RS Silver Ice w/Cyber Grey strp
Military overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjones44 View Post
I have a question for you guys. I am returning from Iraq in a couple of months and the first thing I want to pick up is a Camaro. However, I will be going to Germany in the fall and the wifee is a little concerned about taking the car other there. She is mainly worried that it may get messed up. What do you guys think? BTW, she has blessed off on on Rushforth Wheels, Pedders suspension, TSP exhaust and a KB Supercharger. Not that I am trying to persuade you or anything. Thanks.
You will have to add the red fog light and maybe some side blinkers. Try this link and give them an e-mail to what will need to be done to get it approved on the road.
http://www.mildenhallautocentre.ltd.uk/
Atcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
I was in the military in Germany in early 90's. It is quite a pain to get a car sent over and very expensive to buy one there. I honestly suggest buying it through AFES but waiting to get to the states to pick it up. Get another cheap car that you can sell while in Germany. Insurance will likely be high too!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
Take it over, have fun with it while you are there (Married = 3 year tour?),
sell it for a boatload of DMs to a drooling German Motorhead when you leave,
then buy a new one. Spass Machen!
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
Thank you for your Service.

I took a vehicle to England in the late 70's. For me it worked out okay. A Camaro over there would be awesome. As other stated the Autobahn is an amazing piece of work. Roadbed is better than twice the thickness of the best roads here. That means SMOOTH, and meant for speeds.

Enjoy!
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
JIMMYRAY31B
ZL1 Dreamer

Drives: '76 Vette/Truck/4 bikes
I'm in the Army and I was stationed in Germany from '99-'01. Just some infromation for you, first if you do get a Camaro you will have to make sure your finance company (if you finance) will let you take it over there. Second you will be taking a lot of faith in the company shipping it over there and it will take about 1-1.5 month, if you decide to let the military ship it for free. Third I would suggest to also safe some extra money to buy a german beater when you get there cause the winters can be harsh depending where you will be and it does rain a lot there.

Side note: the roads are great to drive on though! Perfect place to open up a car. When I was stationed there one of my sergeants at the time had a 4th Gen maro, he set up for the autobahn/German roads and got rid of all the restrictions and on a ride one time he got it to 178mph! It was a blast in Germany being able to open up any car legally!

Also you will not have to add anything to your vehicle. This is only when you try to bring a German spec vehicle to the states then you will have to add some things.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Sold)
1975 Chevy C10 (Sold)

Last edited by JIMMYRAY31B; 01-24-2010 at 04:03 PM.
JIMMYRAY31B is offline   Reply With Quote