Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #1
Z28 HLR

Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
Texas Mile/ Silver State Challenge/Etc.

Wanting to do some bucket list stuff. The Silver State Challenge was high on my list. But the more I read, the more restrictive they seem. I'm not agreeing to doing 90 mph...The Texas mile I know nothing about. Anything else in that category, I'm open to. If I could get in a real Gumball Rally, I'd do it.

Advice/Options/Ideas, please let me know.

Last edited by Z28 HLR; 12-12-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Z28 HLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
Very sorry to hear this news. Good luck and best wishes with your bucket list.

Here's one I always thought would be cool, but have not done personally:

https://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Godspeed, sir.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Have you looked into doing HPDE events at road tracks?
Amen to the Smoky Mountains, they are in my back yard!
I run around with a small group of Camaro nuts and we do HPDE events all over the south. I've done lots of mountain driving, several nationwide car rallies and driven hot laps on many NASCAR tracks and the HRPT.
Nothing beats the HPDE events at VIR, Roebling, Road Atlanta, NCM Bowling Green or Barber MS. These events are the most exhilarating things I've ever done. Getting to drive as as fast as you can, pushing the limits of your car, all in a very safe and fun area, just can't be beat this in my opinion.

Good luck with your adventures, be safe and God bless.
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
pat_t

Drives: .
Silver State Challenge is definitely on my list for one day.

Re: The Nurburgring, even if you fly over and rent a racecar from one of the local rental places you'll have an incredible time. I may go back or to Spa Francorchamps which is only an hour or so away early in 2019. Let me know if you need a guide or have any questions about good places to stay/eat and things to do!

I've been out to Bonneville salt flats. Another suggestion for your list maybe? It's an awesome place.

Wishing you all the best,
Pat

Last edited by pat_t; 12-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
Jeff71

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1251
This probably has the same type restrictions as the Silver state event but you could check it out as well...

http://www.sorcrace.com/
Jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post
Very sorry to hear this news. Good luck and best wishes with your bucket list.

Godspeed, sir.
I highly recommend One Lap. I have done it twice and one of them was in my Z/28. I am signed up again for 2019 as well. Tons of fun and a great adventure with a lot of cool people.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
_aJ_

Drives: 2015 Z28
The wife and I do SORC in Nebraska every year, it's an absolute blast. Highly recommend. We even won the 120 mph class in 2018, it's the fastest class at this event.

_aJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #8
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by _aJ_ View Post
The wife and I do SORC in Nebraska every year, it's an absolute blast. Highly recommend. We even won the 120 mph class in 2018, it's the fastest class at this event.

Nice weather.
We have this here

Online web camera
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
SS-E-YA

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28, 1974 Turbo Nova
Quote:

Where at in Nebraska?
2014 Ram 1500 Sport (SOLD)
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (SOLD)
2000 Camaro Z28 Turbocharged 700HP (SOLD)
2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 530HP (SOLD)
2004 Pontiac GTO 425HP (SOLD)
2006 Trailblazer SS 550HP (SOLD)
SS-E-YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #10
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-E-YA View Post
Where at in Nebraska?
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
51LE50

Drives: 2015 1LE, 2SS, Bright Yellow
[QUOTE... The Silver State Challenge was high on my list. But the more I read, the more restrictive they seem. I'm not agreeing to doing 90 mph...]

Several of us on the forum have done the SSCC, and as a rookie driver I assure you that you are able to go over 90 mph. A rookie enters in the touring class and you can AVERAGE up to 110 over the course length.
You can also enter the Shootout which is (as a touring class) a 1/2 high speed run from a standing start. The faster classes run a 1 mile course and the winner of that was a turbo charged Camaro that went 189! Pretty impressive for being a bit over 4,000 feet altitude.
Except for the Unlimited Class, the SSCC can be compared to bracket racing where the goal is to meet an exact time (the average speed).
It is a beautiful course with probably the best road in the country and compares to the Autobahn. That being said, it is a challenge to keep your average speed when you come to a crest in the road and ask "which way does the road go, and how much of a turn?" Then you need to make up the few seconds you lost slowing to 100...
The Narrows have claimed more than their fair share of victims and the speed is deceiving.
Definitely a good time and great folks.
Attached Images

Last edited by 51LE50; 12-19-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: add a pic
51LE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:28 AM   #12
Z28 HLR

Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post

Godspeed, sir.

Z/28 Dan, now this looks cool! Still trying to figure it all out but this looks really cool!! Is it on your list for 2019?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMteSSted View Post
Have you looked into doing HPDE events at road tracks?
Amen to the Smoky Mountains, they are in my back yard!
I run around with a small group of Camaro nuts and we do HPDE events all over the south. I've done lots of mountain driving, several nationwide car rallies and driven hot laps on many NASCAR tracks and the HRPT.
Nothing beats the HPDE events at VIR, Roebling, Road Atlanta, NCM Bowling Green or Barber MS. These events are the most exhilarating things I've ever done. Getting to drive as as fast as you can, pushing the limits of your car, all in a very safe and fun area, just can't be beat this in my opinion.

Good luck with your adventures, be safe and God bless.

GMteSSted - I've never done any of these or know anything about them. Sounds like it would be fun. I haven't found a whole lot of information on it all. Certainly something to look into!! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Silver State Challenge is definitely on my list for one day.

Re: The Nurburgring, even if you fly over and rent a racecar from one of the local rental places you'll have an incredible time. I may go back or to Spa Francorchamps which is only an hour or so away early in 2019. Let me know if you need a guide or have any questions about good places to stay/eat and things to do!

I've been out to Bonneville salt flats. Another suggestion for your list maybe? It's an awesome place.

Wishing you all the best,
Pat

Pat - I've loved following all your stories, ever since you started talking about Miami. If it had been closer to where I was, would have been thrilled and honored to go out and check out potential vehicles for you. Keep up with the updates. Guarantee that even if you only get a few responses, you've got a following. You are - by far - my favorite English-White-Z/28-from-Miami-that-already-had-some-modifications. I mean, by far! :-)

Renting at Nurburgring or taking a trip out with an instructor or professional driver still sounds amazing. Traveling isn't easy but is a dream!

I'm starting to stray away from the Silver State Challenge. They are so restrictive, Pat. What's the point?? Unless we just figure, go, have fun, do what you want...what the hell could they possibly do to you? Stop you!??

The salt flats? They also seem restrictive. Safety is ok. But California type restrictions is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff71 View Post
This probably has the same type restrictions as the Silver state event but you could check it out as well...

The amount of emails and calls you have caused Jeff71!! This is the best bet! Nowhere near as restrictive as the Silver State Challenge. And the 1/2 mile and 1 mile shootout!??? Now that seems like fun. Thank you for offering the idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
I highly recommend One Lap. I have done it twice and one of them was in my Z/28. I am signed up again for 2019 as well. Tons of fun and a great adventure with a lot of cool people.

Og Neon - Could you please PM me details? I really want to hear more if you would. Thank you!

Quote:

AJ - This is at the top of my list. Please PM me, share any more information if you could! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51LE50 View Post
[QUOTE... The Silver State Challenge was high on my list. But the more I read, the more restrictive they seem. I'm not agreeing to doing 90 mph...]

Several of us on the forum have done the SSCC, and as a rookie driver I assure you that you are able to go over 90 mph. A rookie enters in the touring class and you can AVERAGE up to 110 over the course length.
You can also enter the Shootout which is (as a touring class) a 1/2 high speed run from a standing start. The faster classes run a 1 mile course and the winner of that was a turbo charged Camaro that went 189! Pretty impressive for being a bit over 4,000 feet altitude.
Except for the Unlimited Class, the SSCC can be compared to bracket racing where the goal is to meet an exact time (the average speed).
It is a beautiful course with probably the best road in the country and compares to the Autobahn. That being said, it is a challenge to keep your average speed when you come to a crest in the road and ask "which way does the road go, and how much of a turn?" Then you need to make up the few seconds you lost slowing to 100...
The Narrows have claimed more than their fair share of victims and the speed is deceiving.
Definitely a good time and great folks.

51LE50 - Love it all. Yes please!! Any more information you can share I am all ears. Thank you!!!

Thank you all!
Z28 HLR is offline   Reply With Quote