Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #29
snoboredca

Drives: Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Had my vert for 4 days now... hadn't put the top UP since the dealer and I lowered it and installed the (cheap, worthless) tanneau cover before leaving the lot. I Have put 150 miles on the car, mostly driving around town. I hit the hwy this morning and noticed the tanneau cover gettig "wind ripples" near the center as I cruised through.mornig rushhour at 75 mph...then suddenly- pop, there goes one side snap (mind you, there's only 2), and the covers loose and flappin!!! I immediately slowed, got to the shoulder and put it back in place... this is NOT a good sign.

Im gonna contact GM today and let them.know... if ANYONE else is experiencing similar issues, please do the same. These coveres appear very cheaply made and horribly secured. Perhaps if enough people.complain, we can get a recall and a redesign!
I don't even use mine (I can barely figure out how to fold it). Any reason I need to, or is it just cosmetics?
snoboredca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #30
snoboredca

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
I don't understand why people leave their top down while their vehicle is unattended.
I have owned two convertibles and it doesn't take long to close and open, and back then it was all manual!

1) why leave your nice leather baking in the sun?
2) why give an open invitation to a-holes like you mentioned to vandalize your car?
Agree! It takes less than 30 seconds to secure your baby,
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #31
snoboredca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I think i now know what you are talking about. Like on this car http://californiaclassix.com/archive...Elan_c128.html
I google imaged "Ferrari full tonneau cover" and still couldn't find a picture of one on a Ferrari. I have loved convertibles since I had my first one in high school 13 years ago and always every time I see a nice looking one but I can honestly say I have never seen one of these covers. From what I just read it seems like a great idea for cars that have a removable one piece hard top you can't take with you or an old car that is a huge pain to put the top up. With the 20 seconds it takes to put the top up I guess i just don't see the draw on these cars.
I agree... regarding other cars, it could make sense, but with a convertible like the new Camaro, just put the top up when you park the car; and if you get surprised by rain (not a big risk in San Diego) pull over and press the button.

As for the lack of a convertible top cover on the Camaro, I was disappointed it didn't have a built in unit like other comparably priced cars; it was one of my two major "almost decided not to buy it" complaints about the design. But I got over it, and I'm glad I did.

FWIW the lack of a nav system option (I've given up hope on having replaceable factory stereos anymore -- unless you use expensive dash kits) was the other issue. Sometimes I wonder how these design mistakes are decided upon; I can't imagine no one asked the question.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #32
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoboredca View Post
I agree... regarding other cars, it could make sense, but with a convertible like the new Camaro, just put the top up when you park the car; and if you get surprised by rain (not a big risk in San Diego) pull over and press the button.

As for the lack of a convertible top cover on the Camaro, I was disappointed it didn't have a built in unit like other comparably priced cars; it was one of my two major "almost decided not to buy it" complaints about the design. But I got over it, and I'm glad I did.

FWIW the lack of a nav system option (I've given up hope on having replaceable factory stereos anymore -- unless you use expensive dash kits) was the other issue. Sometimes I wonder how these design mistakes are decided upon; I can't imagine no one asked the question.
I know, not having a in-dash navigation option on a $43k car is absurd.

You can get these navigation systems in a $36k Silverado and a $28k Equinox.
Attached Images

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #33
Mandog

Drives: 2011 RJT 1LT Vert
Tonneau Cover

I am on my second Solara convertible and have had a Miata since 2004. I have never put the tonneau covers on as my tops goes up and down often as I park at work or other places. You half to fight to put them on and off, then try to get them in the trunk, they eat up most of your trunk so you can't fit anything else in there ....
Old 03-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #34
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by debilouobxers View Post
When I got my Vert, the posts were in the glove compartment!!! I had them installed today, but it's still 30 degrees out so I did not drive w/ the top down - I thought they were pretty cheap and only two!!! I also had the molded mud flaps installed. I'll post pics of those 2morro - they turned out really nice. The tires are so much wider than the body that they will really save all the knicks from stones and stuff from the crappy Pittsburgh roads we have around here. Still no other verts showing up around here, in fact while my car was in the shop, the other salesmen were coming by to see it since they haven't seen any other verts yet.

Nice ride. You could not have gotten the roof down if you tried. There is a safety lock-out when the temp is below 32.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #35
debilouobxers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
LOL. Still 15 degrees in Pittsburgh and rain all weekend.
Congrats Drago77 on finally getting your car. I loved seeing the pix of it being unloaded. Gr8 piece of history for that car.
debilouobxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #36
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Interesting thread. Didn't realize the vert didn't have a boot cover. We had a 2002, different make, convertible for years. The boot cover was factory,not the easiest to install, but never blew off or loose, even at 70+MPH. We purchased a soft tonneau cover, which basically covered the convertible top and back seat. It wasn't easy to install, but looked nice. The hard tonneau covers don't typically fit anywhere except to cover the convertible top, so if it rains, you can't really store them anywhere when you put the top up, unless it's a 2 piece. Didn't know the Camaro didn't have it's own cover, as was mentioned earlier. Maybe something for future production.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #37
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I tried driving a little without the cover on- the top.really seems to.take a beating.from the wind, id be really afraid of it stretching out without it covered. Taking a nice road trip tomorrow, so we'll see if it holds at prolonged speed.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #38
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Got a solid 2.5 hr road trip in today, and the verdict is in: the tanneau cover SUCKS!!! Under a decent acceleration onto the first on-ramp (30-75mph) the entire rear center (which tucks under the rear decklid near the center tailight) puffed up and came loose. I pulled over to reseat it before it.could.completely dislodge. Within minutes of getting back on the hwy, it was flopping again. I evened my speed at 80 and, although still occassionally rippling, it seemed to settle down. At the next exit I stopped and tucked it under again. Once getting back on track, I maintained 80mph or less and it held fine.

It should be noted the front clips DID NOT disengage this time, nor did the plastic ridges come out from the.front/sides, only the cloth portion which is just tucked under. Now, I didn't leave it exposed long enough to test whether it would stay ir not either...

And for the record, its still a pain in the a$$ to hook onto the posts...

So final verdict- a 427 hp car that can't drive over 80mph!!!!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #39
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Well crap!!! Another reason it shouldv'e had a self stowing hardboot like the BMW; but that's another story!

Anyway to micky-mouse it to make it hold better? Extra snaps/clips? Aftermarket folding hardboot?
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
All I can say is go back to the dealer and get it replaced. The top and tonneau were so well protected on the car we took to Florida last year I can think of how you are having problems. Unless you aren't tucking the leading edge of the tonneau down, there isn't even a way for the wind to catch it as you describe. So I'd take it back and get this resolved.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #41
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn2usa View Post
Nice ride. You could not have gotten the roof down if you tried. There is a safety lock-out when the temp is below 32.
I am going to call on this. Search around, there is a pic of 4 people riding around in a CTF vert in Detroit in the snow. It was in the 20s the day they had it out. A safety lock at a temp is assinine. If I want to put the top down in 20 degree weather, thats my call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post

So final verdict- a 427 hp car that can't drive over 80mph!!!!
OK dude, now you're being redicular. Put the freakin top down leave the stupid boot in the trunk and drive the hell out of it. Its not going to hurt the top. 90% of people with convertible anythings dont use the PITA boot. I have had several drop tops and unless I was going to a car show, it stayed in the trunk. Stop whining already.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #42
debilouobxers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
the only thing you have to remember in order to get the roof down is to pull out the cargo net and have it locked in place. that's the only thing that prevents the roof from working. Ask my husband, took him awhile to figure out why the heck the car kept beeping at him. he had no problem with the cover going 70+. but we'll keep an eye out, i'll be riding in the car looking backwards all the time. I think the HUD is really cool tho... luv that! hopefully will save me some speeding tickets cause my husband thinks i'm destined to get one.
debilouobxers is offline   Reply With Quote