Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
A good cost effective floor jack

I researched floor jacks for a few weeks before I got a new 3.5 ton 22" lift height one that I am very happy with so far. I wanted a quality jack that was able to handle these types of numbers and soon realized I was looking in the $300-$500 range for an American made one that would last decades. I was reluctant to fork over that kidna cash so did some more researching and found this Arcan jack supplied by Northern Tool.

It has great reviews, had the capacity and lift heigth I was looking for, and was only $150! Only problem is that I would have to order it as there are no Northern Tool stores in Michigan and shipping was like $80. After some more searching I found out they sold these babies at Costco...it get's better...Costco's version is the exact same jack, but only $100 AND it's red!! If anyone is looking for a realiable, low cost jack I would reccommend this, but I will throw out there that it IS made in China.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Let us know how long before the seals blow. The Chinese killed our dawgs. Don't let them kill you. Get jack stands.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Is it a low profile lift? Currently I need to drive onto a piece of 2x lumber to raise the car off the floor so that I have enough room to get the jack under.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
low cost jack I would reccommend this, but I will throw out there that it IS made in China.
There's your reason as to why it's cheap. Sorry but my safety is worth more to me than saving some money.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
How is an chinese made part automatically less safe then an american made one? Don't fool your self thinking that all American manufactures put safety before cost savings. Unless you have cut sheets, testing data, and any other prudent information to compare both products with, please share us.

In my opinion the equipment is only as safe as the user. Here is another option I found this morning by Craftsman http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184487

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
I was shopping for a low profile floor jack...i couldnt find ANY that were made in the usa. I ended up getting the one summit sells. The company is "american forge"...its an american company, but its not made in the usa. It's a good jack. Use jackstands regardless of what jack you're using.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
How is an chinese made part automatically less safe then an american made one? Don't fool your self thinking that all American manufactures put safety before cost savings. Unless you have cut sheets, testing data, and any other prudent information to compare both products with, please share them.

In my opinion the equipment is only as safe as the user. Here is another option I found this morning by Craftsman http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184487
I don't have any of that ,but I have over 25 years of experience in a very mechanical field ,and time after time I've come across more cheaply made chinese tools and parts than I ever did with american made ones. I agree that not a American made things are top quality ,but my experience has shown me over the years that most of the time if I have a choice between american or chinese made ,I have a better chance with the american tool or part. Besides it's proven day after day after day that the chinese cut corners, quality ,and safety to push their crap. Enjoy your chinese made floor jack. I'll stick with what I know. Oh and I'm not just talking about american either. There are a lot of counties that build some very well made things. I just don't believe that China is one of them.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
Check out Home Depot's selection of jack's - they are the Husky brand and are built well and very affordable. I got a nice SUV jack that lifts high, accommodates lower profile vehicles and 3500# capacity for $50.
sene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I was shopping for a low profile floor jack...i couldnt find ANY that were made in the usa. I ended up getting the one summit sells. The company is "american forge"...its an american company, but its not made in the usa. It's a good jack. Use jackstands regardless of what jack you're using.
This in bold!

I have the Arcan XL35 jack and I love it. It gets the job done and has no problems clearing my lowered cars. As for jack safety, no matter where the jack is made, I always make sure to use jack stands for ensured safety. I've had a jack slowly fail from a leaking seal and the car fell to the ground, but luckily it was a slow and gradual fall and not a sudden drop...
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
So let me be clear...by no means am I advocating Chinese manufactured products. There is no question that they do a shoddy job at best. BUT, the reason so much crap is made in China is cause it costs less and I am not in the position right now to drop $500 on a jack so I had to settle and the option I posed is the best Chinese product I've researched and used. If it craps out oh well, but my safety should never be at risk as there will always be jack stands under the car while I am anywhere near under it.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
So let me be clear...by no means am I advocating Chinese manufactured products. There is no question that they do a shoddy job at best. BUT, the reason so much crap is made in China is cause it costs less and I am not in the position right now to drop $500 on a jack so I had to settle and the option I posed is the best Chinese product I've researched and used. If it craps out oh well, but my safety should never be at risk as there will always be jack stands under the car while I am anywhere near under it.
Chinese Companies build to the specs of the company placing the order. Depending on the company placing the order and following up on quality control makes a big difference. You can tell a quality product vs. a cheap product. ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS!!! In today's times good luck finding a product not produced or manufactured in China.
I bought a BID RED Jack imported by a company in Canada manufactured in China for $89 off an auction site(Sam's Club) and it is very well made and retails for over $200 for a made in China product. It is a very good quality jack, but again I would never get under a car without jack stands and sometimes I use two jack stands per side or jack point. I make way too much money a year to get injured in a stupid accident.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
Got the northern tool version too. Saying its beefy is an understatement. It weighs about 110lbs and feels like it could lift anything. The lift height is awesome; I'm going to need a 2nd set of high lift stands to take advantage of it.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
I like/use the blue aluminum ones sold by Harbor Freight. cheap & light + jack stands a must.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
make sure you get one with at least a 20" lift, made the mistake of getting one with less. would go with one that is at least in the 150+ price range. cheeper generally aint worth it IMO

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote