Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsRS12 View Post
I noticed it depends on how windy it is too, 20+ MPH wind and the lip that tucks in behind the seats lifts up at highway speeds. Lifts so bad at times that it looked like it would come off. I now leave it off in high wind conditions. This is not a well desinged cover. It needs a few more places to secure it down..too much unsecured vinyl area that wind can get under and cause lift.
I have had mine on while I was hauling ass down the expressway in winds and all and have NEVER seen it lift off......just sayin', are you sure you have it totally secured to the pins on the back of the rear seat?
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #30
blgl1800

Drives: 11 SS/RS Vert/E-ForceSupercharger
mine was delivered with the pins - practically chipping the plastis clip every time I used the cover.
I removed the pins, installed a 2" X 4" long velcro strip to the clip and back of seat area (just below the pins). Now I can lift up the car by the cover. I feel it's even better than the latest elastic cord.
blgl1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #31
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I have had mine on while I was hauling ass down the expressway in winds and all and have NEVER seen it lift off......just sayin', are you sure you have it totally secured to the pins on the back of the rear seat?

I too have not had any problems with the Tonneau cover. With trees around my place and birds flying over I don't want to be picking trash out. It really only takes a few minutes to put it on and it looks great. As far as secured in place, I finally found a spot on the interstate with no cars around and had it up to 129mph. That's the fastest I've ever had any car but I caught up with cars. Anyway my point the NEW cover holds in place. Michael in Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #32
decepticon-vert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to decepticon-vert
I have taken mine up to 80mph and cover has stayed. Car came with cover and pins in place.. Cover also helps to keeps top from getting rub marks.. since material is not flying all over the place..
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
my 2012 45th vert came with the tonneau cover, but no studs... theyre not installed, and ive checked the entire car for them, and cannot find them anywhere (tonneau bag, trunk, battery compartment, center console, and glove box). they just arent there... whatever, dealer is ordering 2 of them, and should have them early next week. i agree, they should be installed at the production line on any car that comes standard with a tonneau.
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #34
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Just checked mine and it has the clips
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
I too have not had any problems with the Tonneau cover. With trees around my place and birds flying over I don't want to be picking trash out. It really only takes a few minutes to put it on and it looks great. As far as secured in place, I finally found a spot on the interstate with no cars around and had it up to 129mph. That's the fastest I've ever had any car but I caught up with cars. Anyway my point the NEW cover holds in place. Michael in Virginia

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #36
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosaaby View Post
The RS vert comes standard with the tonneau cover, so the clip posts are installed from the factory...
My posts were NOT factory installed. The dealer made it a point to say they installed them "in case I wanted to use the tonneau cover."

My '01 Vette manual top disappears beneath a hard lid.
And the top doesn't rub or leak or make wind noise.
Ahhh, the good old GM days.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #37
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
My posts were NOT factory installed. The dealer made it a point to say they installed them "in case I wanted to use the tonneau cover."

My '01 Vette manual top disappears beneath a hard lid.
And the top doesn't rub or leak or make wind noise.
Ahhh, the good old GM days.
That's how it's supposed to go......the dealers are supposed to install them when they do the pre-delivery inspection.

Unfortunately, some dealers don't know this.....mine didn't but cheerfully installed mine in about 15 mins.

You really gotta wonder about how GM communicates with their dealers as far as that stuff goes.

Yeah, I wish our Camaros had a system like your 'Vette.....
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #38
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Put a blanket on before tonneau cover. Makes tonneau cover tighter. Keeps top snug and prevents rub marks. Without tonneau cover the top shows wear marks. I have the clips and no problems.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Mine was the first vert to arrive in town, so I had to make the service guys aware of the studs and how to install them, then showed the dealers how to install the cover (which I learned from you other folks on this forum).

Mine has the old clips, but I've never had a problem losing the cover. Just get tired of looking over my shoulder to make sure it's still there. I dreamed up this attachment of few months ago, but haven't had time to make it yet. I'd like to make it out of the same material as the original clips, but with a closed bottom. Then they can slip over the studs and snap upward to secure them.

BTW;

I got frustrated with the clips scratching the plastic trim along the back of the seat as I install and remove it, so I rounded all the corners on them.

Name:  Cover Clips.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  9.2 KB

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #40
D.Rock
D Rock

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
glad i found this post because i could not figure out how the hell the cover was suppose to be held down. like the velcro idea tho too!!
D.Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #41
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Mine was the first vert to arrive in town, so I had to make the service guys aware of the studs and how to install them, then showed the dealers how to install the cover (which I learned from you other folks on this forum).

Mine has the old clips, but I've never had a problem losing the cover. Just get tired of looking over my shoulder to make sure it's still there. I dreamed up this attachment of few months ago, but haven't had time to make it yet. I'd like to make it out of the same material as the original clips, but with a closed bottom. Then they can slip over the studs and snap upward to secure them.

BTW;

I got frustrated with the clips scratching the plastic trim along the back of the seat as I install and remove it, so I rounded all the corners on them.

Attachment 367048
Well I cursed myself...

Driving home on the highway this afternoon, I looked in the mirror just in time to see the passenger side pop up, then the whole cover disappear! I was rolling at 80 mph with no one around me, but a gusting cross wind.

Fortunately, it flew up and landed in the median and wasn't damaged.

Unfortunately, it landed in a cactus patch! I had to hit it with my giant lint roller and duct tape to get all the tiny needles out of it.

I still want to try a modified clip rather than to new loop design. Now I have new motivation...

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #42
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
There's no reason in the world why a cover should come loose at resonable speeds IF it's installed properly.
The front lip gets tucked down behind the seat and the clips are attached to the posts holding it down and preventing the wind from being able to get under the front lip.
The end pieces on either side get their plastic endges tucked under the trim and preventing the wind from lifting the ends.
The back edge also gets tucked under the rear trim.
If everything is fastened and tucked in correctly the cover should never fly away.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote