Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Suicide Doors are Back!

Just saw on a few media outlets that Lincoln is doing a limited edition Continental with "coach" doors next year. 100K is a lot for any Ford except the GT.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/li...suicide-doors/
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Nobody wants sedans any more, remember?...What is Ford thinking? Haven't they heard the news that only SUVs and electric will sell?...

Oh, I forgot...if the sedan is expensive enough, then it's ok...people will then buy them....Expensive sedans are desirable, but not more affordable ones.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea View Post
Just saw on a few media outlets that Lincoln is doing a limited edition Continental with "coach" doors next year. 100K is a lot for any Ford except the GT.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/li...suicide-doors/
Moved to General Automotive

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Nobody wants sedans any more, remember?...What is Ford thinking? Haven't they heard the news that only SUVs and electric will sell?...

Oh, I forgot...if the sedan is expensive enough, then it's ok...people will then buy them....Expensive sedans are desirable, but not more affordable ones.
I know you're being sarcastic ... but dial back the hyperbole and you're probably pretty close to the truth. Except for the part about electrics. I don't think anybody is actually expecting consumers to be clamouring for the hundred or so new models expected in the next few years. They're getting made to meet regulations, not customer demand. Automakers wish there was going to be a 10-fold increase in demand for them in the near future, there is nothing to really even hint that that is going to happen.

But for your post ... if it were tweaked as follows:

Quote:
A lot fewer people want sedans any more, remember?...What is Ford thinking? Haven't they heard the news that only crossovers will sell well?...

Oh, I forgot...if the sedan is expensive enough, then it's ok... enough people will then buy them to maybe justify it....Expensive sedans are more desirable, but not more affordable ones.
I'd agree pretty strongly to that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:

But of course. If a family can only afford practical vehicles then they buy something to haul the kids around on a year-round basis.

Expensive vehicles (coupes or sedans or sports or SUVs) are impressive, but are not responsible spending as a primary vehicle for most buyers.
You also have to be aware that since manufacturers are required to include more safety features and provide better fuel milage, those costs don't really change between the cost of a vehicle. So the percentage of the cost is reduced when the vehicle price is increased.

Gone are the days when even the least expensive vehicle in a lineup does not have TPMS, ABS, StabiliTrac, 8 airbags, radar sensors, and a stupid warning that says "Ice Possible!"
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I love the suicide doors, but they couldn't have jazzed the car up a little bit more? It reminds me of a Hyundai.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
The continental should have came with suicide doors regardless! I had clamshell suicide doors on my FJ cruiser haha, loved em.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote