Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #155
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
that,s how I did it
first i sand the trim, here is a pic of it

after that I apply 3 LIGHT COATS
this is painted
this is before to paint
this is after paint
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #156
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Nice.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #157
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Long story short, the back of the dash insert is designed to catch or hold the light pipe in place. If you grind down the back of that insert on the posts (where the metal clips hold the light pipe in place), then the light pipe will fit behind the dash insert perfectly to where the dash insert sits FLUSH against the dash. Then, the only way for light to emit or escape behind that insert is by sanding the back of the insert.

Well, if you don't grind down the back insert posts, then the light pipe pushes the insert out a whopping 1 to 2 mm....NOT noticable when looking at the dash. It sits absolutely fine and in place. There is NOTHING wrong with this and it sits really well. Towards the left side of the insert, it will sit in a tad more, so a tiny spacer needs to be put in push out the dash insert....which will make the light emit even across the dash. I'll show you all pix on my car when I get it back, but it looks GREAT.

The light from teh dash is no longer BRIGHTER than the doors. It's the same width as the doors and the same brightness.

Anyone can do this mod.

IT IS SIMPLE.

I could easily do this install in anyone's car in about 30 min now.

Again, I'll do the write up, but need the car back and the parts to show you all.

Don't sand anything. Don't cut anything.

Install the light pipe in the dash and don't drill. Just connect using aquarium tubing to the GM light (taken apart) to teh light pipe and let it sit in place. With that behind, toss on your dash insert and see for yourself. I think there's going to be a lot of people going back to the GM Parts counter to get the dash pieces reordered!!!lol
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #158
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
I thought that light pipe was no longer available?

I already did the EL wire route, and am generally happy. The only problem is that the blue EL wire that I bought does not quite match the factory blue.
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #159
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redZ28 View Post
I thought that light pipe was no longer available?

I already did the EL wire route, and am generally happy. The only problem is that the blue EL wire that I bought does not quite match the factory blue.
May be i need to change the the OP as to how to get the light pipe.

I have them and now where to get them.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #160
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Long story short, the back of the dash insert is designed to catch or hold the light pipe in place. If you grind down the back of that insert on the posts (where the metal clips hold the light pipe in place), then the light pipe will fit behind the dash insert perfectly to where the dash insert sits FLUSH against the dash. Then, the only way for light to emit or escape behind that insert is by sanding the back of the insert.

Well, if you don't grind down the back insert posts, then the light pipe pushes the insert out a whopping 1 to 2 mm....NOT noticable when looking at the dash. It sits absolutely fine and in place. There is NOTHING wrong with this and it sits really well. Towards the left side of the insert, it will sit in a tad more, so a tiny spacer needs to be put in push out the dash insert....which will make the light emit even across the dash. I'll show you all pix on my car when I get it back, but it looks GREAT.

The light from teh dash is no longer BRIGHTER than the doors. It's the same width as the doors and the same brightness.

Anyone can do this mod.

IT IS SIMPLE.

Again, I'll do the write up, but need the car back and the parts to show you all.

Install the light pipe in the dash and don't drill. Just connect using aquarium tubing to the GM light (taken apart) to teh light pipe and let it sit in place. With that behind, toss on your dash insert and see for yourself. I think there's going to be a lot of people going back to the GM Parts counter to get the dash pieces reordered!!!lol
It seems clear to me how this would work now. Also, after looking at my CTS-V, it works the same way. There is a small gap where the light shines out... only it is at the bottom of the bezel, not the top.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #161
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
May be i need to change the the OP as to how to get the light pipe.

I have them and now where to get them.
Yes, PLEASE DO.
I want to do this. After putting the HUD in I don't want to put the trim back on untill this is done also.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #162
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
bump
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #163
73vette

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, 1973 Corvette
TAG UR IT,
Can't wait for the pics. I should start my project around the 20th!! ABL here I come!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #164
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
STILL waiting on getting my car back................GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #165
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Anyone can do this mod.

IT IS SIMPLE.

I wasn't too happy with this.

The car doesn't look right with part of the dash trim sticking out. While it gives you light, it also doesn't match the doors.

I do believe lighting it from the passenger side coming out the far hole and attaching with airline tubing is the best route, trimming the clips makes for the dash trim to sit flush, and matches the factory light in the doors.

It does dim a bit from the passenger side to the drivers side, however that is the way I would want it. Simply because the dimmer light (hardly noticable) is less distracting then the spot of Ice blue where the light originates.

Sanding the dash trim completes the look and matches that of the doors.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #166
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
To be honest with ya'll this DIY shouldn't be necessary, again GM drops the ball. Why do the damn doors, put the stip of moulding in the dash, but, then not put in the lighting? Typical, dumbass decision on their part.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #167
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
To be honest with ya'll this DIY shouldn't be necessary, again GM drops the ball. Why do the damn doors, put the stip of moulding in the dash, but, then not put in the lighting? Typical, dumbass decision on their part.
My understanding is the way they had it originally, the ambient light in the dash didn't hold up to the heat testing.

Other reasons like it was distracting and stuff came into effect later. I don't think I'll have to worry about heat testing my car in Michigan.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #168
2SSRS@Gen5diy

the heat testing in AZ is one of the best any where i am less then 30 MI from the old FORD heat proving grounds and have had no problems out here.