Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
trossit

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
Steering Noise on 2012 V6 LS

I was curious if any other 5th Gen Camaro owners have experienced what I am feeling through my steering wheel. If after driving the car at highway speeds for longer than 30 min I feel a slight rubbing sensation through the steering wheel when I quickly move the wheel back and forth 3-4 inches. The sound doesn't seem to be metallic in nature but sounds and feels softer like plastic or hard rubber rubbing together. The sound seems to be coming from inside the rear of the steering column. If I park the car and have the engine off it does not produce this sound but does produce a feeling of backlash in the steering gear with the same motion. When the engine running on I do not feel this backlash in the steering gear.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas what could cause this? The car has 60,000 well cared for miles on it. It was a garage car that was not driven much over the past 9 years.
trossit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Machh5
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
I have the same noise which I believe is the rubber boot where the steering shaft enters the firewall. The engine runs so quiet you hear every little thing. Mine has done it for the the past 100k miles, sometimes loud sometimes it goes away. Never really concerned me, nothings perfect especially a car. Now the creaking frt and rear steering bushings bug the crap outta me!
Machh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Might be a dumb question, but have you checked your fluid level?
Old 12-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #4
trossit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Zob View Post
Might be a dumb question, but have you checked your fluid level?
Good point, I will check it. I assume the dealer checks it when they do the 30 point oil change....but you never know!
Old 12-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
trossit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machh5 View Post
I have the same noise which I believe is the rubber boot where the steering shaft enters the firewall. The engine runs so quiet you hear every little thing. Mine has done it for the the past 100k miles, sometimes loud sometimes it goes away. Never really concerned me, nothings perfect especially a car. Now the creaking frt and rear steering bushings bug the crap outta me!
I love my Camaro, don't get me wrong. I have had this car about 6 months, had a 2004 Monte Carlo before the Camaro. The 2004 Monte Carlo was built stronger but not as exciting to drive obviously. I had a 1996 Monte Carlo that was built even strong than the 2004. These 5th Gens are built light...and I think that's why they perform so well.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Machh5
Account Suspended

Actually they are heavy cars overall. The reason you hear everything is the car is built so quiet. I've never owned a car as quiet as this. All the 4th gens I owned you couldn't hear a freight train in a nitro glycerin plant over the sound of the car. Especially on a cold start. The last WS6 I owned was priceless, noisy rattly loud was a real trip to drive. Loved every min of it! In this 5th gen I can hear everything, even the creaking bushings in the frt and rear. Bushing were gone in the back end of the WS6 from wheel hop and you couldn't hear them unless the car wasn't running.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Neoclasiccl

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS L99
It's the rack and pinion. I had the same exact problem. I tried every solution I could find and replacing the rack was the only solution and 1.5 years later still have none of the old issues. Changed rack myself wasn't too bad to do.
Attached Images

Neoclasiccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #8
Machh5
Account Suspended

I would suggest you flush the power steering with Dexron IV before doing anything else. The power steering fluid takes a beating and needs to be changed every few years. Dex6 is about the best fluid you can put in there. My steering was starting to feel notchy and funny in a steady turn after changing the fluid it works fine again. I still have the noise at the rubber but that may not be your issue.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
Neoclasiccl

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS L99
It sounds and feels like rubber but trust me if you have a non electrical rack the only solution is to replace the rack. Others have had the same issue hopefully some will jump in and share their experience. I did mine myself since warranty was up and got a brand new rack org equipment rack for $280 with free shipping from Amazon. Just trying to help I wasted a lot of time and money trying other solutions to avoid replacing rack since car only had $36k (age out of warranty) at the time but replacement was the only solution and wished I replaced it much sooner. I'll shut up now just trying to help.
Neoclasiccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
trossit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoclasiccl View Post
It sounds and feels like rubber but trust me if you have a non electrical rack the only solution is to replace the rack. Others have had the same issue hopefully some will jump in and share their experience. I did mine myself since warranty was up and got a brand new rack org equipment rack for $280 with free shipping from Amazon. Just trying to help I wasted a lot of time and money trying other solutions to avoid replacing rack since car only had $36k (age out of warranty) at the time but replacement was the only solution and wished I replaced it much sooner. I'll shut up now just trying to help.
Did something actually fail in the rack? Excessive wear of a component? Or is this just a 5th Gen thing that could be this way into 120k miles without causing any issues besides a strange feel in the steering?