Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
FutureCamaroOwner

Drives: White 1SS/Black Stripes
What navigation is stock?

Is it only through on star and is it any good? Should I get a Tom Tom?
FutureCamaroOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
mcarney

Drives: SSRS CGM LS3
I like the onstar nav but its 300 dollars a year and that isnt really worth it to me. I buy a month of it if im going on a trip. Im looking for an indash replacement but all the ones ive seen are tacky.
mcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
The Onstar NAv is great, I love it, all I have to do is press the button and tell them where I want to go. Then it is automatically downloaded to my car. You can also have Map Quest download to your car too. The onstar advisor can find places for you too, all you have to do is tell them you are looking for a steak house or a shopping mall in your area or a starbucks in the case of a road trip LOL and they will find one and route you to it. I find the direction pretty dang accurate too. It's well worth the money for me I use it all the time.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I personally didn't care for teh onstar, as ther is no SCREEN, just the directions in the DIC. I have a Tom Tom, I can use it in any of my 3 cars.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
At first I did not like the onstar. But then I fell in love with it. Alot of people complain its $300 a year ok. Any good aftermaket indash is gonna run you at least $900 thats 3 years of onstar plus all the other features that on star has. You save on insurance, your car gets stolen. Just my .02
Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I personally didn't care for teh onstar, as ther is no SCREEN, just the directions in the DIC. I have a Tom Tom, I can use it in any of my 3 cars.
Also thru the radio face if you don't switch to the nav screen on the dic...I'm fairly sure I will renew it personally. If it was just the directions, mebbe not. But with the location and vehicle shut down added in, most likely....
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Ya know what would be SWEET, is if we could somehow program the On-star navi without need of an operator or paying for the service. But that'll never happen.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Yeah the lack of map sucks I guess, but the arrows are pretty accurate, and it's does a beep at the point you need ot start turning it's scary accurate for me, if I dont start a turn when it beeps I miss the turn so I know for sure thats the turn I need. $300 a year is nothing I spend more than that on Coffee. LOL Plus to have the peace of mind that the ONSTAR offers, accident notification and all that jaz.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
onstar but my droid comes ith google maps with voice turn by turn directions
Old 04-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
At first I did not like the onstar. But then I fell in love with it. Alot of people complain its $300 a year ok. Any good aftermaket indash is gonna run you at least $900 thats 3 years of onstar plus all the other features that on star has. You save on insurance, your car gets stolen. Just my .02
$99 on a Garmin and it will have better turn by turn. If you veer ofcourse, what happens to the Onstar turn by turn?? I'll tell you what happens, it doesn't re-direct you. You have to press the button, give them your information all over again along with the address..lol.. How is this convenient and worth $300 a year? I used it for a month and found some flaws with it as well as their maps don't have all the latest roads.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
DOM P

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to DOM P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
$99 on a Garmin and it will have better turn by turn. If you veer ofcourse, what happens to the Onstar turn by turn?? I'll tell you what happens, it doesn't re-direct you. You have to press the button, give them your information all over again along with the address..lol.. How is this convenient and worth $300 a year? I used it for a month and found some flaws with it as well as their maps don't have all the latest roads.
Mine re-directed me when i had the free trial this was last summer.

DOM P
DOM P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOM P View Post
Mine re-directed me when i had the free trial this was last summer.

DOM P
Yup, has worked every time for me. The first time I used it I spent 15 mins just trying to confuse it!! redirected on the fly no prob 6 times in a row!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Onstar redirects you
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Yup, has worked every time for me. The first time I used it I spent 15 mins just trying to confuse it!! redirected on the fly no prob 6 times in a row!
Funny I did the same thing. Always redirect.