Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
gmackster

Drives: Honda
I want to buy a Camaro.... can't afford it..<cry>

Hi All....

this is my first post on this forum. I have fallen in love with the new Camaro....and I really want to buy one...I just have trouble dropping 40 G's for it.

I have 20,000 cash in my bank, so I would need a loan/financing... I have a gauranteed job...with a reliable honda civic...but i've never owend an american muscle car and the Camaro is just me.

Logic is telling me to save up my money and buy a condo/house.

I guess im just trying to find someone to convince me. I asked my co-workers and although they salivate at the pics of the camaro, they are all telling me to save up my money and don't spend / waste it on the camaro.

I am single....I am NOT buying it to 'get a girl', but I'll admit the attention is kinda cool.

Anyhow....I guess im just wondering what your thoughts are. If I do finance it....it'll annoy me that i'll be paying for a car years from now, when even greater and better Camaro's will be out there.

Thoughts...opinions....?

Im in Canada, hence they higher prices.
gmackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Chevrolet is still making the Camaro and will be, hopefully, for many years to come. Get the house first. Remember, the garage is NOT a storage facility for stuff. It's a home for your Camaro to live in.

House > any car

Welcome to the boards!

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenn View Post
Chevrolet is still making the Camaro and will be, hopefully, for many years to come. Get the house first. Remember, the garage is NOT a storage facility for stuff. It's a home for your Camaro to live in.

House > any car

Welcome to the boards!
Agree 100%...get the home first...then you'll have a nice garage to put the Camaro in.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
My advice is buy the house/condo now, and in a couple years find a good used Camaro for about half the price they are selling for new... When the Z28 and Convertible come out there will be plenty of used ones for sale...
Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 06 Jetta TDI 17 Civic EXL
house first

It kills me to say that I know how alluring the Camaro is but your logic is correct get the house with a garage and then get the Camaro.
Or get the house and lease a Camaro.
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmackster View Post
.it'll annoy me that i'll be paying for a car years from now, when even greater and better Camaro's will be out there.
You answered your own question. As great a car as it is, it can wait. Save your down payment and continue to save for that house! Who knows, by that time you can pick up a used Camaro and the best of both!

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
rschick

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Well you have to look at were u sit in life, I am a single 26 year old no kids and had the money, I could have gotten a house but I wanted to have a little bit of fun And I dont like to be tied down to something at this age.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
WyteMamba
SStang Killer

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro SS/RS
best advice for that situation......... u can sleep in your car but you cant drive your house!
WyteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
house first, then car....
dr damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I got my house 4 years ago, it has been appraised at almost $100,000 more in value than I bought it for now and I haven't done much to it. So that is a wise investment. I would say get the house, then start saving again for the car.
Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
SharpSS

Drives: Decked Out Inferno Orange 2SS
Another vote for the house first. Then possibly take out a home equity loan at lower interest rates and buy the Camaro.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Good for you having money in the bank....now put it to good use and get your house first, then start saving for your downpayment on your car.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yep, get the house

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
I got my house 4 years ago, it has been appraised at almost $100,000 more in value than I bought it for now and I haven't done much to it. So that is a wise investment. I would say get the house, then start saving again for the car.
Most people won't be seeing gains in 4 years on homes like they used to. The housing market is supposed to stay pretty flat for the next 10 years. But look at it this way. You will get a garage, and only part of the amount of the money you will be paying will go to waste and part will go to principle on the house. And at least in America, the interest you pay on the loan is tax deductible, so you will get about 15+% of that back depending on your tax bracket...

The house is still a good investment if you want to have a nice car. People in apartment complexes that park next to you can really beat up your car. Even if you have underground/enclosed parking. Not many places have single garages with walls between all the stalls.

Plus you'll never have to deal with neighbors thumping on your ceiling when they're doing aerobics at 7AM.