Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #57
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
Actually it does, The Tremec 3160 with all it's racing parts is smooth, a co-worked has a 911 and I let him drive my GT350 and he loved how well it shifts.

back to the Oil consumption,

This engine is happier being driven harder than easier. Higher temperatures, more metal expansion, tighter sealing and less oil usage. K.ind of like SR22,s that leaked fuel until they were at full cruising in the air at mach 5.

And there is some anecdotal evidence posted in various threads on other forums that some owners see less oil consumption tracking the car then putzing around town so there may be something to this theory. My own experience seems to point to a similar outcome - it seems the easier I drive this car the more oil it consumes.
It’s SR-71 and it’s max speed was just over Mach 3.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #58
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
Actually it does, The Tremec 3160 with all it's racing parts is smooth, a co-worked has a 911 and I let him drive my GT350 and he loved how well it shifts.
The 3160 should be a little smoother than the 6060 but it gives up strength for weight. Max input torque is only up to 405 lb ft.

http://www.tremec.com/noticias_detal...-shelby-gt350/

Whereas the 6060 is rated up to 650 lb ft. It's strange that they sourced a tranny that's rated less than the max tq of the engine? Anyway, Tremec is a
reputable brand, so that's a plus.

Quote:
back to the Oil consumption,

This engine is happier being driven harder than easier. Higher temperatures, more metal expansion, tighter sealing and less oil usage. K.ind of like SR22,s that leaked fuel until they were at full cruising in the air at mach 5.

And there is some anecdotal evidence posted in various threads on other forums that some owners see less oil consumption tracking the car then putzing around town so there may be something to this theory. My own experience seems to point to a similar outcome - it seems the easier I drive this car the more oil it consumes.
Haha maybe. Who knows, you might be on to something. Anyway, enough of bashing your car. You're obviously enjoying it and I wish you a trouble-free ownership.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #59
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #60
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I read the first page/post and jumped to the last page and this is the first line I read. I was like, wow, kind of went off topic from a GT350 failure to SR-71 at Mach 3. I'm scared to read pages 2-4 now.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #61
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I read the first page/post and jumped to the last page and this is the first line I read. I was like, wow, kind of went off topic from a GT350 failure to SR-71 at Mach 3. I'm scared to read pages 2-4 now.
Well someone did compare the oil consumption of the Voodoo engine to the "SR-22" leaking fuel while stationary on the ground so...
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #62
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Formula 1 rules were updated for the 2018 season to limit oil consumption to ~1 quart/100 miles.

Why does an F1 engine consume so much oil? Simply, more power.
A lot of it is used for cooling, spayed onto the undersides of the pistons where it evaporates. This allows the use of lighter pistons.

Oil is allowed to bypass the rings; oil is flammable and fuel consumption is limited, so burning oil produces more power than fuel alone. Looser rings reduce friction.

Oil exiting the exhaust helps to cool the turbocharger.

Increased clearances are common on some engines, especially for commercial vehicles. Trucks, taxis, police cars. They will all use more oil than passenger car engines. But they can run hot for days on end.
Cold starts and easy driving on those engines will contribute to oil consumption.