Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Talking Lifetime allingment for $179.99 !!!

Hey guys i just did tons of suspension work to my car! And im going to be getting my car alligned this weekend. The Firestone Tire Centers offer Lifetime allingment on vehicles for $179.99 i think its a great deal. Take it back to get alligned as soon as ur steering wheels is a bit off or do any suspension work to it. Just wanted to share that great deal with u guys!!!! My question is... They do their allingment with a computer so its preset to every cars specs... What if i want a performance (sporty) allingment??? The guy said that he cant change the settings on the computer. I did alot of work to the suspension except for the stock coils and shocks. Read mod list below. Since im at stock height will a performance alligment benefit me if i drive it on the street and once in a while take it to the drag strip????? Thanks all!!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Just something else to think about with the Firestone alignments...Not all of their alignment machines are accurate. I have/had lifetime alignments on my Silverado and my Expedition through Firestone. Took me 4 tries at 4 different shops to get the alignment right on my truck and 3 tries on the Expedition. With any luck, your first choice shop will have a machine that is accurate and they get the alignment right. If not, be prepared to eat away at your tires until you notice that something isn't quite right - note: the steering wheel may be straight but it doesn't mean your tires are set right.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Just something else to think about with the Firestone alignments...Not all of their alignment machines are accurate. I have/had lifetime alignments on my Silverado and my Expedition through Firestone. Took me 4 tries at 4 different shops to get the alignment right on my truck and 3 tries on the Expedition. With any luck, your first choice shop will have a machine that is accurate and they get the alignment right. If not, be prepared to eat away at your tires until you notice that something isn't quite right - note: the steering wheel may be straight but it doesn't mean your tires are set right.
So is it worth it or should i be looking for a better shop to do my allingment?
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
They will never align the car to the specs you want, just the presets. Waste of money. Take it to a performance shop if you want a proper alignment.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
They will never align the car to the specs you want, just the presets. Waste of money. Take it to a performance shop if you want a proper alignment.
This. And their tolerances are usually wider. Be wary. And before you sign, make sure of the terms. Many times they put in there that any issues found they have to do the repairs or it voids it. Depends on how cool they are about it.

I've got an old car that I got Sears to do an alignment on back in 1985. I bought the lifetime alignment thing for $69.99. They hate seeing me show up. But they do a pretty good job. And for the price, it's been about 2 bucks per alignment at this point!

I will say this about local shops, you COULD find a goodie. Best alignment I've ever got on a Camaro was the local Goodyear shop. Spot on and very even tire wear. One of those you can go for 1/2 mile without having to move the wheel type of alignments.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
This sounds like a great deal but I'd suggest going to a good performance shop for an alignment. They will put your car into a Factory specified "range" that can vary substantially and they generally blow them out...

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
This. And their tolerances are usually wider. Be wary. And before you sign, make sure of the terms. Many times they put in there that any issues found they have to do the repairs or it voids it. Depends on how cool they are about it.

I've got an old car that I got Sears to do an alignment on back in 1985. I bought the lifetime alignment thing for $69.99. They hate seeing me show up. But they do a pretty good job. And for the price, it's been about 2 bucks per alignment at this point!

I will say this about local shops, you COULD find a goodie. Best alignment I've ever got on a Camaro was the local Goodyear shop. Spot on and very even tire wear. One of those you can go for 1/2 mile without having to move the wheel type of alignments.
So do u recommend Sears then? U said they do a good job?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Got my lifetime alignment for 149.00 from firestone, like 2 years ago. plus if i give them specs on what alignment i want they do it for me. The firestone next to my house is awesome and they said they will align my car how ever i like it.
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
BAWLZ SS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
Got my lifetime alignment for 149.00 from firestone, like 2 years ago. plus if i give them specs on what alignment i want they do it for me. The firestone next to my house is awesome and they said they will align my car how ever i like it.
So did they do a good job? Where exactly is it? Im in the bay area! Know any other good places to get it alligned?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
For those who go back and forth to autox and HPDE this lifetime alignment is great if you can find the shop to do it right.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
BAWLZ SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
No sir the prices are reasonable. I can knock out a green range alignment in 30 minutes. Green range alignment are just that. They are within the acceptable range of factory specifications. That means the LF may be at -.75 camber while the RF is at -1.1. To get everything dead nuts on Pedders tight spec can take an hour or more. In the end with a quality shop you will get what you pay for.
Thanks! they only work by appointment and i just made mine!!!