Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
The system can be a bit buggy depending on the car. If you recall, Toyota had a recall in '07 (I believe) that involved the drive-by-wire system. The fix is typically to reprogram or reflash the ECM. I notice a lag-time is certain circumstances with my car. For example, if I drive at 45mph and take my foot off the gas and coast until mph hits about 38-40, then when I hit the gas again there is 1-2 second delay before the engine responds. There have also be a few of passing / getting out into traffic where the delay was really problematic.

More than a few Mustang owners have reported a "dead space" on the gas pedal where you may have to push the gas pedal down 3/4" or so to get any change in RPMs from idle.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I asked the same question, because I'm pretty unhappy with the DBW in my VW.
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Throttle by wire is basically like you describe, a throttle position sensor at the pedal feeding signal to the ECU and it feeding signal to an electric motor opening and closing the throttle body.
Nitpicky, but important: It's an accelerator pedal position sensor. The throttle position sensor still exists at the throttle body, at least on my VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
Will it be better than on the newer mustangs? I worked at a ford dealership, and if you suddenly stabbed the gas and let off, the car wouldnt even respond to the pedal motion till a half second after you had let off the gas. It wasnt terrible but always annoyed me, it wasnt as responsive as my 98 z28, that has a cable. I havent driven any newer GM cars lately though to compare the mustang too.
1/2 second isn't so bad. I get up to 3 seconds of rev hang -- I take my foot off the gas and it holds the RPM exactly where I left it. My choices are to shove it into gear, dump the clutch, and feel like an elephant just kicked the car...or ease the clutch out very slowly, letting it burn off a bunch of clutch material. This is reported by others with the same model; some have tried to get it fixed by VW, but VW insists that it's by design. Who did they design it for?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
AGM76

Drives: 1995 z28 - 2000 SS - 08' vette
The system on my corvette (08) works flawlessly. I'm sure whats going to be on the camaro will be the same setup. You wont even notice it.
AGM76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #18
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I wonder if this will mean that when you hit the gas and the brake at the same time the gas will shut off? I find it hard to trail-brake and drift with that!!
negative, it does not nor would it ever do that, that would make it impossible to double clutch downshift while braking.

And yes I did that I my drive-by-wire 00 Vette all the time. The gas pedal does not shut off, and IMO in that car it felt as natural as any cable based pedal I ever had, so I'm sure 9 years later it still does.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #19
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I asked the same question, because I'm pretty unhappy with the DBW in my VW.
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4877

Nitpicky, but important: It's an accelerator pedal position sensor. The throttle position sensor still exists at the throttle body, at least on my VW.
You caught me. Guess I need a sexetary to proof-read my posts
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
gm drive by wire is great

VW drive by wire is very bad, i work on them and several times i found myself on test drives and pushed the gas pedal down and counted to 3 in my head before the car actually started to move
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #21
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
pushed the gas pedal down and counted to 3 in my head before the car actually started to move
Any idea why they would program it that way? It's not due to technical or cost purposes, as far as I can tell. It seems to be entirely intended as a feature.
Quote:
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #22
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
gm drive by wire is great

VW drive by wire is very bad, i work on them and several times i found myself on test drives and pushed the gas pedal down and counted to 3 in my head before the car actually started to move
I can't imagine VW programming them that way. I drove a turbo beetle that had lots of turbo lag that almost got me t-boned! Were they turbo cars?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I can't imagine VW programming them that way. I drove a turbo beetle that had lots of turbo lag that almost got me t-boned! Were they turbo cars?
There's an easy way to prove it. Use an OBDII device to log accelerator position and throttle position. When they don't match, blame the programming by those smartass German engineers.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #24
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
the vw's is a software issue, if the computer see's the brake switch on the brake pedal not fully released and the gas pedal pushed the computer freaks and it takes several seconds for the computer to catch up,, happens mostly if you drive 2 footed, and i do and so do a lot of people,, it can also happed if you drive 1 footed and are real fast to release the brake and push the gas pedal

it happens on the turbo and non turbo cars

also the if you are driving a vw and you touch the brake pedal just enough so the brake switch will engage, the engine will close the throttle and the engine will just idle
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #25
EuroCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Driven lots of GM cars (LS2 & 3) and their throttle response map is a little slow and on Toe and heal changes the throttle is too slow.

BUT just get it remapped by a good tuner and then it is very nice to drive
EuroCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #26
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Mine is flawless.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #27
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
In my G8 GT I've had some delayed response issues, but I took it to the dealer for a TCM update and the lag is gone.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #28
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
Mine is flawless.
Mine too!

In fact I prefer it. Went from a Trans Am to a GTO and throttle response is much better with the drive by wire. GM knows what they are doing with this one.
sykb47l is offline   Reply With Quote