Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
ZL-1 Insecurity issues

First let me be clear. I am in no way disrespecting the ZL-1. It's a beautiful car with some of the most modern gizmo's ever produced. But why is it when all of the prospective ZL-1 owners talk about HP, they say 580hp? Literally everyone that resides in Camaro5 talks RWHP. Is it because it just doesn't sound as mind blowing as BHP? Has the stock ZL-1 been dyno'd? If the math is correct or even sort of close it should be putting down around 460RWHP? Am I correct? There are many SS owners on here that get that with just a few mods. So other than some cool magnetic stuff and additional whistles and bells, a slightly modded SS will still beat the pants off a ZL-1 in stock form. So not sure what all the hype is about?

I say we all start using our BHP numbers. SO, that leaves me with a 560HP 2010 Camaro. Yeah, that does sound good. Thanks ZL-1!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
It really doesn't matter. Nobody has received their ZL1 yet, so they haven't been chassis dyno'd yet by the public. I suspect you will start to see some numbers soon after they are received by customers.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
The reason people with modded cars talk RWHP is largely because they really don't know what the crank HP is. Sure,there are percentages you can use as a rule of thumb,but they can still be pretty far off & the only way to truly know with a modded car is to pull the motor and put it on the dyno stand.....which no one is going to do.

And I can only speak for myself,but I am not impressed at all that a modded car can best a stock one. I am,however,very impressed that with all the regulations GM is saddled with (CAFE,EPA), that they can produce a car such as the ZL1.

And unless one of your "few" mods is a supercharger(or a big ol' shot of NOS), you still aren't going to touch a bone stock,as delivered,ZL1.

Last edited by Wondering; 03-27-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Because 580hp is what the motor produces according to GM. Just like the SS produces 426/400 according to GM. The aftermarket world rates at rear wheel because that's the easiest way to test without taking the motor out and testing only that. This tread would lead me to think that your the one the has insecurity issues.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Because 580hp is what the motor produces according to GM. Just like the SS produces 426/400 according to GM. The aftermarket world rates at rear wheel because that's the easiest way to test without taking the motor out and testing only that. This tread would lead me to think that your the one the has insecurity issues.
Yeah, you're probably right..
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
The reason people with modded cars talk RWHP is largely because they really don't know what the crank HP is. Sure,there are percentages you can use as a rule of thumb,but they can still be pretty far off & the only way to truly know with a modded car is to pull the motor and put it on the dyno stand.....which no one is going to do.

And I can only speak for myself,but I am not impressed at all that a modded car can best a stock one. I am,however,very impressed that with all the regulations GM is saddled with (CAFE,EPA), that they can produce a car such as the ZL1.

And unless one of your "few" mods is a supercharger(or a big ol' shot of NOS), you still aren't going to touch a bone stock,as delivered,ZL1.
So you're saying that an N/A SS won't touch a ZL-1? I'll be there are some that can and will. Not that it matters. Again, I'm not really wanting to compare Camaro's to Camaro's. Just found it interesting that most of the forum reads I went through on the ZL-1, I read "580" a lot. I know that's the BHP but sure will be interesting to see what it puts down to the wheels in stock form.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
First let me be clear. I am in no way disrespecting the ZL-1. It's a beautiful car with some of the most modern gizmo's ever produced. But why is it when all of the prospective ZL-1 owners talk about HP, they say 580hp? Literally everyone that resides in Camaro5 talks RWHP. Is it because it just doesn't sound as mind blowing as BHP? Has the stock ZL-1 been dyno'd? If the math is correct or even sort of close it should be putting down around 460RWHP? Am I correct? There are many SS owners on here that get that with just a few mods. So other than some cool magnetic stuff and additional whistles and bells, a slightly modded SS will still beat the pants off a ZL-1 in stock form. So not sure what all the hype is about?

I say we all start using our BHP numbers. SO, that leaves me with a 560HP 2010 Camaro. Yeah, that does sound good. Thanks ZL-1!
Maybe in a straight line. Good luck around a track. This has been discussed in depth in other threads. I would much rather buy a bone stock car that keeps its warranty than mod it up. It is different strokes for different folks. I will leave my z bone stock and original. I know how excited I used to get as a kid when I would see some of the few 30 year old muscle cars out and about for a cruise in the summer. That's what I'm looking for. Who knows how long this wonderful hp era will last with the green and government intruding. Every car in each of the motor manufacturers fleets might run on leaves in another 4 years. Lol
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbar4782 View Post

Maybe in a straight line. Good luck around a track. This has been discussed in depth in other threads. I would much rather buy a bone stock car that keeps its warranty than mod it up. It is different strokes for different folks. I will leave my z bone stock and original. I know how excited I used to get as a kid when I would see some of the few 30 year old muscle cars out and about for a cruise in the summer. That's what I'm looking for. Who knows how long this wonderful hp era will last with the green and government intruding. Every car in each of the motor manufacturers fleets might run on leaves in another 4 years. Lol
We'll all be installing Mr. Fusion's on the back of our cars!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
kbar4782

Quote:

This is also probably the reason that the mustang guys all quote the new gt at anywhere from 650-670
Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
kbar4782

Quote:
We'll all be installing Mr. Fusion's on the back of our cars!
No doubt!! I like the flux compasitor idea myself! I guess doc was ahead of his time! Lol
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
actireman

Drives: 2011 denali hd2500
Quote:

I own a Mustang MD2000 chassis dyno that is eddy current. We dyno all the time to tune cars. The big thing that people don't realize is that all these big numbers come from an inertia dyno. An inertia dyno will give almost 75 more horse power than ours and also how the driver drives the car on the dyno makes a big difference. We are tuners so we don't care if the numbers were between 1 and 10, all we car is did the engine like it and go up or did it not and go down. I'm sure there are guys out there that have big numbers on an eddy current dyno, but I'm sure the vast majority don't. So I guess what I'm saying is that all these big numbers don't impress me at all.
actireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
So you're saying that an N/A SS won't touch a ZL-1? I'll be there are some that can and will. Not that it matters. Again, I'm not really wanting to compare Camaro's to Camaro's. Just found it interesting that most of the forum reads I went through on the ZL-1, I read "580" a lot. I know that's the BHP but sure will be interesting to see what it puts down to the wheels in stock form.

Yea then when someone mods. their ZL1 then what...
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #14
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Yea then when someone mods. their ZL1 then what...
I dunno, then what? What if someone puts a jet engine on their SS. Then what? This really isn't about who's faster and again, where does it end? Shall we just compare stock for stock on all cars? Probably not since the Mustangs will make us all look bad. So, let's do our mods and have fun with our cars.

To the poster about tuning and dyno's. I agree. Dyno numbers can be manipulated. Like you, my tuner looks for gains and not too concerned about big worthless numbers. I'm sure you've seen the Cartek video with the Camaro with 515RWHP run in the 10's. Weird since there are 600+ hp cars running high 11's. So HP numbers don't always mean fast or slow in some cases.