Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
130R

Drives: SS
Say What?

Huh?

Last edited by 130R; 01-15-2016 at 06:52 PM.
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I have had an issue with the right front doing the same thing when downshifting only. Not sure WTF.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
bad wheel speed sensor? maybe?
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Already changed mine and didn't do anything.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I got the TC/ST lights after replacing all the rear bushings because my toe was so far our that the wheel speed was different from side to side. The next day I got it alligned and problem solved. Might be worth a look
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
I'm having a problem with my ABS kicking in too easy. This will happen with a moderately hard stop from as little as 35 MPH. To verify it shouldn't be kicking in, I pulled the ABS fuses and the tires don't lock under the same conditions.

I never see an ABS light, but I do sometimes get a "Stabilitrak Active" message in the DIC when the ABS kicks in.

Any ideas?
Hello 130R,

Sorry you appear to be having some issues with your ABS. If you would private message me you VIN and current mileage, I will pull up your vehicle to see if we have any information that may help you here.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
I'm having a problem with my ABS kicking in too easy. This will happen with a moderately hard stop from as little as 35 MPH. To verify it shouldn't be kicking in, I pulled the ABS fuses and the tires don't lock under the same conditions.

I never see an ABS light, but I do sometimes get a "Stabilitrak Active" message in the DIC when the ABS kicks in.

Any ideas?
Are your front and rear tires at least close to OE sizes? Are the tires reasonably well matched for grip (running skinnies and DR's is about the worst thing you can do for both braking performance and ABS intervention).

Beyond that, it's something that you need to have looked at professionally. Across the keyboard we can only make guesses.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
I have had an issue with the right front doing the same thing when downshifting only. Not sure WTF.
Are you saying that the RF gets into ABS when all you do is downshift without touching the brakes? If so, that suggests momentary locking or near locking of the left rear.

By any chance, are you also turning left when this happens?

Norm
Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Nope norm only happens downshifting and braking. No downshift and just use the brakes it's fine.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Nope norm only happens downshifting and braking. No downshift and just use the brakes it's fine.
thats a new one. is it torque management and traction control making the abs freak out?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

I'm still thinking that ST is getting involved somehow. Typically, stability control systems will activate a single brake to prevent what it sees as oversteer or really heavy understeer starting to happen. Braking the outside front (in a turn) to reduce oversteer is one possible action.

Norm
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm still thinking that ST is getting involved somehow. Typically, stability control systems will activate a single brake to prevent what it sees as oversteer or really heavy understeer starting to happen. Braking the outside front (in a turn) to reduce oversteer is one possible action.

Norm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
thats a new one. is it torque management and traction control making the abs freak out?
Not sure. I took it to two different dealers and both said operating as designed. I could understand if it was both fronts but only the right front?

Not trying to thread jack OP but maybe this gives you info on your problem.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

If ST thinks that the rear of the car is about to step out to the right (oversteer in a left turn), it'll probably apply the RF brake as a means of dragging the car back in line with the direction that it thinks you're headed in, while slowing you down. Applying any other brake tends to make things worse, either by making the rear even "looser" by throwing away RR lateral grip that you really need or by dragging the left front brake which would exaggerate the yaw rotation directly. Since I suspect that it's a left rear matter, I'd expect that braking that wheel would lock it up for sure, which you definitely wouldn't want happening.

Norm
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Have you installed new brake pads on just the front or just the rear? Front pads with significantly more aggressive bite than the rear pads can cause exactly this situation as well. So might rear brakes that are a lot less grippy, except that you'd be more apt to notice having to stand on the brake pedal a bit harder.

Norm