Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #169
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
I have been reading the whole thread speaking of performance value a 60k 12 second car isn't the best bang for your buck IMHO.
Once more it all comes down to what you want in a car, if you are only looking at drag racing then yes $60,000 for a 12 second car isn't the best bang for your buck.

From another perspective while $60,000 and getting close to the 3 minute barrier is very impressive. $55,000 and breaking the 3 minute barrier is just so much more impressive, also much better bang for your buck.

I guess what I am saying is simple, if you have 10 people looking to buy either the ZL1 or GT500 it comes down to simple preference. If 5 are looking at mountain roads and some track days in a comfortable daily driver its easy ZL1 Camaro. The other 5 looking for something to use on the drag strip will easily pick the GT500, its that simple.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #170
doc7000

Quote:
and theres a lot more to a gt500 then a 3:00 minute lap. A lot of people on here just dont give credit where its due. Ford made a awesome car, Chevy made a awesome car.They both have there ups and downs but if i were to pick one it would be the gt500 simply because most of my driving consists of straight lines, highway, and stop line to stop light pulls.Just like most people in there early 20's i care about raw power. Im not trying to bash the zl1 im just stating my opinion
I do not think that anyone here is not giving the GT500 credit for being a drag strip car. At the same time it has 662BHP how was it not going to be faster then the 580BHP ZL1 Camaro at the drag strip. For retrospect if the ZL1 Camaro had the 638BHP LS9 engine under its hood it would probably run the same 1/4mile as the 662BHP GT500.

Here is the thing that you are completely missing/ignoring, its harder to make a 4,100 pound car that has 580BHP run VIR in less then 3 minutes while at the same time be easy to drive and tame on the street. You want to get your ZL1 Camaro to 10s in the 1/4mile well some companies have tunes for that.....
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #171
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Once more it all comes down to what you want in a car, if you are only looking at drag racing then yes $60,000 for a 12 second car isn't the best bang for your buck.

From another perspective while $60,000 and getting close to the 3 minute barrier is very impressive. $55,000 and breaking the 3 minute barrier is just so much more impressive, also much better bang for your buck.

I guess what I am saying is simple, if you have 10 people looking to buy either the ZL1 or GT500 it comes down to simple preference. If 5 are looking at mountain roads and some track days in a comfortable daily driver its easy ZL1 Camaro. The other 5 looking for something to use on the drag strip will easily pick the GT500, its that simple.

I also think it's an age thing. The younger guys seem to lean more towards the 500 for straight line speed, while the older guys prefer the twist and turns. For most older guys we have been there done that in straight lines and now it's time to move onto something different, that has more of a challenge for us.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #172
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
and theres a lot more to a gt500 then a 3:00 minute lap. A lot of people on here just dont give credit where its due. Ford made a awesome car, Chevy made a awesome car.They both have there ups and downs but if i were to pick one it would be the gt500 simply because most of my driving consists of straight lines, highway, and stop line to stop light pulls.Just like most people in there early 20's i care about raw power. Im not trying to bash the zl1 im just stating my opinion
Guess you need to go back and read my post and what I quoted... I didn't discredit the GT500 in any way.

Seems you've got a chip on your shoulder over this VIR time. Or maybe you just saw I actually drive a ZL1 and assumed I don't like GT500's
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #173
2010redcamaro

Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I also think it's an age thing. The younger guys seem to lean more towards the 500 for straight line speed, while the older guys prefer the twist and turns. For most older guys we have been there done that in straight lines and now it's time to move onto something different, that has more of a challenge for us.
yeah i just got into cars about two years ago im not ready to give up straight lines lol
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #174
2010redcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Guess you need to go back and read my post and what I quoted... I didn't discredit the GT500 in any way.

Seems you've got a chip on your shoulder over this VIR time. Or maybe you just saw I actually drive a ZL1 and assumed I don't like GT500's
no no its not you its other people in here i just qouted you. i dont have a chip its just that before the zl1's 1/4 time this site use to be all about dragstrips. the motorcross section would always have a couple people in it where the drap racing would have double if not triple the amount of people. Now that its out everybody has turned into road kings
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #175
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
no no its not you its other people in here i just qouted you. i dont have a chip its just that before the zl1's 1/4 time this site use to be all about dragstrips. the motorcross section would always have a couple people in it where the drap racing would have double if not triple the amount of people. Now that its out everybody has turned into road kings
Slingshot gave a perfect answer and you pretty much blew it off to scarcasm. We've had 1/4 mile thread after 1/4 mile thread and the 13 GT500 is .5 seconds faster on the drag strip if not more than the ZL1... You will not ever see a stock GT500 lose to a stock ZL1 on the drag strip unless the driver is horrible or they redlight. Pretty much done and over so why do we want to continue to beat that horse on a Camaro site.

Now this thread is a road track time so folks are in here to talk about it. The big deal is with the weight/HP difference the GT500 should be walking all over the ZL1 on the roadtrack as well. It's not happening which is a testament to the ZL1. It's going to take time for the Ford guys to reel in the raw power of the GT500 and learn to drive it. I'm quite sure with time their lap times will decrease at a faster rate than the ZL1.

Tip: Here's a cool button you can use when quoting multiple people..
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  10.8 KB
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #176
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I am young and I prefer corners to straight lines, I think it has to do with geography and the local culture. The people who I know who live in the mid west are all about straight line speed, here in so cal we have a lot of curvy roads to drive on in the mountains.

This has been one reason why import brands made so many inroads into the west coast and now certain Domestic models are doing much better here. Now you can buy two models of Camaro that handle really well and all of the Corvettes handle really well. Not to mention the CTS V series line up (we have a lot of them here where I live).

It comes down to if the domestics want to start making inroads in the west coast at least when it comes to performance cars they have to make them go around corners.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #177
doc7000

Quote:
I do not know why on a thread about a road track you want to complain that no one is talking about the drag strip.....
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #178
ZL1ster

Drives: '13 ZL1 IOM M6
...hey look, an 'Apple' thread.

LET's talk about 'Oranges'...
ZL1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #179
2010redcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I do not know why on a thread about a road track you want to complain that no one is talking about the drag strip.....
your missing the point
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #180
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1ster View Post

LOL ... It always seems to work out that way !!!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #181
2010redcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1ster View Post

i was just reading the thread and someone said the camaro is the best bang for your buck i simply stated how i felt it isnt thats all
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #182
ZL1ster

Drives: '13 ZL1 IOM M6
...it's all good .

We drive AMERICAN Muscle!

We're bro's...
ZL1ster is offline   Reply With Quote