Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Bagheera_thecamaro
BAGHEERA

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Thumbs up APR Performance Splitter Review

Finding a splitter for my particular year car was pretty tricky. I did, however, find one from BCS Auto by APR Performance and honestly, it's the best splitter I've seen in the game. Love the carbon fiber, rods are great and honestly...no complaints. So, after two years of slamming this thing into concrete, here is my quick review of the APR Performance Splitter.

Can't see the video? Go Here.

Anyone else have the splitter? How do you like it? :-)

Bagheera_thecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
If you had mounted it properly to the metal of the car instead of the plastic bumper cover, your bumper cover would not be doing that nose dive right now.
The only thing you are doing is creating down force on the plastic bumper, this setup is not functional.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Mattchew

Drives: Camaro 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
If you had mounted it properly to the metal of the car instead of the plastic bumper cover, your bumper cover would not be doing that nose dive right now.
The only thing you are doing is creating down force on the plastic bumper, this setup is not functional.
+1
Old 06-01-2018, 01:01 AM   #4
Bagheera_thecamaro
BAGHEERA

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
It's definitely not as a functional as a chassis mounted Splitter, but again. Didn't want to drill into my metal. It is functional, but maybe not as functional as it could be, but nonetheless, it is playing with the aerodynamics.

So I'll give you a partial credit, it's not as effective as it could be but it's definitely functional to the point of playing with aerodynamics and creating some level of downforce.

Bagheera_thecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Ya gotta take the time to PROPERLY Mount this splitter, or it will not function properly and will most likely damage the grille by ripping out the support rods if one does not take the time to properly mount it to the support structure within the fascia. I have not experienced any of the issues in the Video, and my car is also lowered. From a earlier post, FYI:

"Since there seems to be some interest in this, I will add some more assembly detail here. I was concerned that these, as in many splitters, will create significant down force and as such at higher speeds the tendency is to rip the unit off of the car if not attached properly. So I elected to install the supplied fasteners as close to the front of the unit as possible, in conjunction with the rear stock attachments. But note that the bottom of the stock Fascia is NOT flat, and only so at the ends. There is a gap where it curves up and away from the dead flat APR splitter across most of front of the splitter, starting at the outer support rods, and that is also why I used (4) of these support rods, plus they look killer. So air is trying to ram into that gap, and so I elected to use small 1" square by approx 1/4" thick rubber spacers at all of these points (the (7) from the center outward). Also slid a 1/2" or so thick and 1/2" ID spacer into each of the center ridges seen in the 2nd photo, centered it on the opening, and added a dab of glue to one side so it would not shift around at assembly. These bolts are very difficult to install when assembling the Fascia to the vehicle, I wound up using a self tapper to nail it to the subframe beams. The APR is a very rigid piece, and can crack like any other molded part is stressed too much, especially if tightening down a fastener with a gap under it!. Drilling holes will not crack the part, just use some masking tape both sides and drill through it. Also ensure any support rods are connected to the Fascia structural support that slides over the steel impact bumper beam! The inner rods attach to the structural support in it's webbing INBOARD of the opening that slides over the cars steel support beam (Pic 2), but the outer rods were a bit more tricky as the only mounting point would require the attachment to have the bolt head and washer extend onto the beam opening. So I flipped the bolt around in the rod clevis so only the bolt head and thin washer would protrude into the beam opening, and then ground a angle on it to enable it to slide over the bumper beam when installing the Fascia."
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451729
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
Mattchew

Drives: Camaro 2011 RS
Saying it doesn't work as well using it for something its not meant to be used for is like saying my food tasted bad before I cooked it all the way