Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
TinCorvette

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Question '19 ZL1 Brake Dust

50 Miles and the wheels are coated. I want to replace factory pads with Hawk pads, since they were great on my 2012 Corvette, but hawk's website only goes to 2017 Camaros. I do not plan to track the car, Mostly daily driving and a little drag racing. I am thinking some version of ceramic /metallic pads for low dust, low noise and reasonable cold brake stopping power. I know these type of pads do really well when heated up.
Anyone else tired of the horrible dust?
TinCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
You might want to post about your 6th Gen in Camaro6.com.

And for the record, yep I don’t like the brake dust of the 5th gens. :-)
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I moved it to the 6th Gen ZL1 section for you....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCorvette View Post
50 Miles and the wheels are coated. I want to replace factory pads with Hawk pads, since they were great on my 2012 Corvette, but hawk's website only goes to 2017 Camaros. I do not plan to track the car, Mostly daily driving and a little drag racing. I am thinking some version of ceramic /metallic pads for low dust, low noise and reasonable cold brake stopping power. I know these type of pads do really well when heated up.
Anyone else tired of the horrible dust?
I am! I purchased the CoolStop low break dust pads for putting around town!
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
What a depressing post. You are doing your car a disservice if you get ceramic pads. Have fun having 40% braking performance. Just my opinion though. Maybe you need to experience it for yourself.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
What a depressing post. You are doing your car a disservice if you get ceramic pads. Have fun having 40% braking performance. Just my opinion though. Maybe you need to experience it for yourself.
You are so wrong...the only thing you lose is HEAVY circuit track racing!
Initial bite is not as drastic, but braking feel and stopping feels exactly the same.
My car is a DD and has a full Weapon-X polished Whipple build...I live out in the Country with plenty of twisties and high speed Country Roads, plus I work where I drive in the city and cloverleafs...no issues whatsoever!
Attached Images

Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
You are so wrong...the only thing you lose is HEAVY circuit track racing!
Initial bite is not as drastic, but braking feel and stopping feels exactly the same.
My car is a DD and has a full Weapon-X polished Whipple build...I live out in the Country with plenty of twisties and high speed Country Roads, plus I work where I drive in the city and cloverleafs...no issues whatsoever!
+1 on all of this.

The powerstop z26 pads will end your brake dust blues! Like Intimidator said you'll notice a SLIGHTLY less intense initial bite but after a while you'll forget about it entirely. Intimidator's pics show the correct pads (1053/1835), and can be found lots of places for ~$150 delivered.

I have 5100 dust free street/weekend/show miles on mine since replacing the stock pads 18 months ago and my only regret is not swapping them it the first day I brought home the car!

Make sure you transfer the shims from the old rear pads to the new ones.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
To quash this debate it would be interesting to see some comparative 100-0 times.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
To quash this debate it would be interesting to see some comparative 100-0 times.
Powerstop z26 pads are not for racing. The OP said he's not tracking the car. So there is no debate. But if you want to test 100-0 performance of a racing pad vs. a street pad and verify the obvious, knock yourself out.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Go drive in the mountains downhill and report back... Assuming you don't understeer into a tree. Also the 100 to 0 test would be dominated by the Brembo pad. Been down this road already with my ctsv I had before this car. Oh and they were top of the line carbotech ceramic pads. Anytime price gets inserted into the convo with them being cheaper and better, red flag for me. See this all the times with tires too. Anyway, it's probably one of those things where you will never understand until you try for yourself.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Powerstop z26 pads are not for racing. The OP said he's not tracking the car. So there is no debate. But if you want to test 100-0 performance of a racing pad vs. a street pad and verify the obvious, knock yourself out.
I didn't write 0-100, I wrote 100-0. Nor did I write anything about a race. I don't understand the confusion in your post.

In the real world 100-0 times is a meaningful statistic. Sheesh.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Not everybody buys these cars, even the ZL1 1LE, as I'm about to purchase to drive them 10>10 all the time.... Some of us buy them to enjoy them. We can put slightly less performing tires and yes, even less dusty brake pads on them, and drive them, rather than letting them sit in a garage 8 or 9 months or more out of the year.... I would almost bet good money you don't drive your car 10<10 all the time... If you drive it on the street at all, I'm betting you are 1<10 about 90 percent or more of the time... I know, this is how I got to drive my SS on the street occasionally...

I've done my racing bit, I accomplished my goal, and I want a performance car that I can drive without replacing a 1500 - 2000 dollar set of tires every month or two, or brake pads every three months or so, or constantly battling brake dust.... Heaven forbid, I'll even get bugs on my hood occasionally..... I'll just have to wipe them off....

If you want a car on kill all the time, one that most don't care to have service ALL the time, then leave it as you got it.... Some of us purchase these cars to drive, everywhere, even..... in rain occasionally when we get caught out...

I still don't get why it offends someone for someone else to do to their own car what they want to make it their own...For the record, I'm not a huge fan of steak, and I put ketchup on mine... and I burn the hell out of them before I eat them.... When they're smoking they're cooking, when they're black, they're done... Why, because I'm eating it, and it doesn't affect you or anyone else...

I for one plan to drive the shit out of my car, since I only got to put 23,000 miles on my SS.... oh, and it had the factory stock brake pads for a 2010 SS and it saw speeds significantly higher than you will ever see in your car.... Never ran down a hill and hit a tree, or anything else for that matter...

Nobody said cheaper and better, what was said was cheaper and less dusty.... more "street" friendly, you know, where most of us drive these cars...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
I didn't write 0-100, I wrote 100-0. Nor did I write anything about a race. I don't understand the confusion in your post.

In the real world 100-0 times is a meaningful statistic. Sheesh.
It appears to me, he was commenting that there was no need to perform the test, as the purpose of the test as to verify what was already known, a race pad will out stop a street pad, and he wasn't intending on doing it with his car... It wasn't a dig at you, but more so to the guy stating that anyone doing anything to lessen the overall performance of their own car is about to kill themselves running down and off a mountain... and for the record, he also wrote 100 - 0...

Old 04-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Not everybody buys these cars, even the ZL1 1LE, as I'm about to purchase to drive them 10>10 all the time.... Some of us buy them to enjoy them. We can put slightly less performing tires and yes, even less dusty brake pads on them, and drive them, rather than letting them sit in a garage 8 or 9 months or more out of the year.... I would almost bet good money you don't drive your car 10<10 all the time... If you drive it on the street at all, I'm betting you are 1<10 about 90 percent or more of the time... I know, this is how I got to drive my SS on the street occasionally...

I've done my racing bit, I accomplished my goal, and I want a performance car that I can drive without replacing a 1500 - 2000 dollar set of tires every month or two, or brake pads every three months or so, or constantly battling brake dust.... Heaven forbid, I'll even get bugs on my hood occasionally..... I'll just have to wipe them off....

If you want a car on kill all the time, one that most don't care to have service ALL the time, then leave it as you got it.... Some of us purchase these cars to drive, everywhere, even..... in rain occasionally when we get caught out...

I still don't get why it offends someone for someone else to do to their own car what they want to make it their own...For the record, I'm not a huge fan of steak, and I put ketchup on mine... and I burn the hell out of them before I eat them.... When they're smoking they're cooking, when they're black, they're done...

I for one plan to drive the shit out of my car, since I only got to put 23,000 miles on my SS.... oh, and it had the factory stock brake pads for a 2010 SS and it saw speeds significantly higher than you will ever see in your car.... Never ran down a hill and hit a tree, or anything else for that matter...
I agree BUT OMFG!!!!!!! Well done steak, HOW DARE YOU!!!