Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2024, 09:13 PM   #1
Kxm

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/1LE/RS
How to Replace Lifters - Guide

Hey everyone, I know that replacing the lifters seems like a simple process but when it comes to DIY I want to make sure that I do everything spot on.

I am doing a cam swap and upgrading the springs, rods, oil pump, etc. when I do so. My motor has 32,000 miles on it. I have all of the resources to do everything except pull the heads and replace the lifters and trays. I have found videos online of people doing so but they are very brief.

Are there any guides/tutorials available that provide pictures and step-by-step instructions the way robertway did his DIY: LS3 Camshaft Install guide? I have printed his off to use as a reference when I do the cam install but I don't have anything for the heads and lifters. I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks guys.
Kxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:32 AM   #2
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
Here's great video on removal if the heads:

Assembly is essentially the opposite. Head torque sequence is a bit of a challenge in the car, I just did it a couple weeks ago. You will need an angle gauge, or a digital angle torque wrench.

I used the instruction guide from Trick Flow for installation:

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-...nstructionArea

Removing the liters is super easy with a magnetic pick-up tool, and the trays come right out with a couple 10mm bolts. Then new lifters drop into place, piece of cake. Most all lifter manufactures recommend soaking in oil before installation. The BTR lifters I used came in a convenient tray that I just poured the oil into.

If you are doing all of this, might as well do a trunnion upgrade too!
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:12 PM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
If I was you I would invest in some arp head bolts or studs so you don't have to mess around with the tty factory bolts. They are kind of pricey but I never liked the tty bolts and the arp are reusable.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:01 PM   #4
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
This is a detailed write up for removing/replacing heads, from here on the forum. The write up is similar in style to the famous cam swap DIY.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556941
Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote