Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
lordfury94

Drives: Black 94 Camaro Base
Car Cranks No Start

Have a 94 camaro v6 3.4. The car cranks but wont start. I had just replaced the ignition switch and went to start the car, and it started but was sputtering and shut off. When i attempted to start it again afterward it would not start but when i put my foot on the gas and turn the key over it acts like it is trying to start. The rpms race really high and then it shuts off within a period of a couple of seconds. The car is parked on an incline. My first thought is no gas. My check gauges light comes on. During the attempted starting i am smelling gas from inside the car. I have a gas can so i put some gas in the car but it still cranks and wouldnt start back up. Any ideas? Maybe i need some more gas?
lordfury94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
had a car do that once.i disconnected the battery to let the computer reset and it started with no problem.don't know if this is your problem,but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
lordfury94

No its not that. I tried that already.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
Sounds like you may not be getting fuel. Has the fuel filter ever been changed? My 94 3.4 had low fuel pressure and I ended up having to replace the fuel pump which is located in the fuel tank. My 94 cranked quite a bit if it sat more than a 24 hours and quit after the fuel pump was installed.

There may also be a throttle sensor but I think those throw a code when they go bad.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
why did you replace the ignition switch? was it not starting prior to the switch?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
lordfury94

@VASCAR2 I replaced the fuel filter back in maybe August I believe. @garyw the ignition starter switch had went bad. Whenever I turned the key nothing happened only the dash lights came on. So I swapped out the switch and then I started the car, and it ran but was sputtering really bad like every 2 seconds, and I could smell gas from the inside of the car. The car finally shut off, and then when I tried cranking again it would not start. I pressed my foot on the gas pedal and tried to crank it and it sounded like it was trying to start, the rpm gauge then raced up to 2k and then all the way up and the car shuttered and died again.

Battery has been disconnected overnight to allow computer to reset after doing the ignition switch, no luck.
The ICM is good. I've had new gaskets put on both intakes, and egr......

I notice when I started the car and it ran for a minute, the check gauges light flashed. After the car died the check gauges and service engine lights were both flashing. I went and bought the OBD1 scan tool to try to see if I could pull codes but when I connect it to the port nothing happens.

The only things I can think of are the connector to the fuel pressure regulator valve (it had cracked, I can't find the part at any stores so I electrical taped it), and also the connector line/hose that runs from the evap canister into the hole on circular port on the back of the upper intake manifold and then into the valve cover. See attached pic I will circle the areas if I've confused you. But anyway these two lines or hoses have cracks and I cant find the parts anywhere I look to replace them so I electrical taped them. Went to a pull apart but they were gone already. Idk if they would be enough to do what I am describing, but its either these, or possibly an optispark issue maybe, but Im not sure how to test for that, I don't like dealing directly with electrical stuff.

Also, what sensor plugs into the driver's side cylinder head? I have asked several people but no one knows. I ask because I know for a fact that it needs replaced.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
garyw

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS
i think its something with the ignition switch or installation of it.

if the car was running fine, then no crank condition, replace switch, now its running bad? too much of a coincidence to me.

if so, then go back to the fuel issue, you say its on an incline, get the vehicle on level ground or add more fuel, allot more so as to ensure fuel is actually at the strainer to be sucked up.
the fuel pump is center of tank, so if the car is inclined and you only put a small amount of fuel.....you get the picture.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
lordfury94

Right. Will do and let you know. Do you by chance know what would cause the OBD port not to work? A visual inspection shows all my fuses are good, but when I plug the tool in I get nothing even though the service engine light is on
Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
pretty sure that engine has a sensor on cylinder 1 that tells the ignition system when cylinder 1 is at top dead center and fires a spark, the rest fire in sequence. its a cheap sensor and it will stop the engine from starting. i had that sensor go bad on an 88 Beretta and it did exactly what you are describing.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote