Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
CM-NY

Drives: 1993 Z28
Help/Ideas Needed - 1993 Z28

Hello. It was suggested I post this here as well as in problems so I am.

So I'm posting here hoping someone might have a clue because my mechanic (who has kept my car running wonderfully for 5 years so far) is running out of ideas. Here's the scenario.

Start it up and everything seems fine. At some point when I'm driving it, typically between 2-6 miles which depends on how hot the weather is (hotter = sooner), it will begin to have problems. Sometimes it will stall out of the blue. Sometimes when that happens, the engine will restart after a moment (instantly or even 5 seconds later). Other times it doesn't restart at all. Even when it restarts once or twice it will eventually just stay stalled out and I need to get over onto the median/shoulder. There will then be a period of 5-10 minutes where the engine won't catch at all or it will stall out again either immediately or if I rev the engine a little. Stalling is more likely the hotter it is.

Other times, instead of stalling, the RPMs appear to not increase if I'm accelerating. This happens between 1000-1500 RPMs. They will then wobble and sputter as if the car is suddenly accelerating then dropping back. It's almost guaranteed that the car will stall if I don't ease up on the accelerator and take it down to 1000 RPMs. This can continue for a few miles.

Then the most puzzling thing happens. The problems stop and it drives fine again. My commute is only 9 miles so I don't know if the problems would start again while I'm driving it but they do reoccur on the drive back. Needless to say, this makes diagnosing things difficult. The distributor and wires have been replaced, the ground wires checked, the alternator is fine. They're very competent so I'm going to assume the obvious problems have been checked.

So, has anyone ever had this happen to them or heard of such a thing? I'll try to answer questions as I can but I'm not a mechanic and don't tinker. Thanks in advance.
CM-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Stew2000

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS,2000 Camaro SS
anything to do with the speed density?
Stew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
CM-NY

Drives: 1993 Z28
Not a clue. But I'll mention it to my mechanic.
CM-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Check out your ICM as well.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
Fuel pumps are a known problem with 4th generation Camaro. My mechanic found my similar problem by checking the fuel pressure. I had previously replaced the fuel filter. Fuel pressure in the tank can be affected by outside temperature and the temperature in the tank. The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote