Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
I have a v-6 fascia sitting at my father's place in Ohio... for the right person wanting to part it away into mail slot filling pieces. (that is if he doesn't want it, I think he was thinking about mounting it in his garage, but ionno.)
I am still interested. If it's available PM me please.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #16
BlwnSS
i like carz

Drives: 99 Formula,85 Trans Am,04 Monte
why dont you guys just switch front ends with a v6 car? Someone with a v6 must want a v8 front end . And maybe they will even be the same color .
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlwnSS View Post
why dont you guys just switch front ends with a v6 car? Someone with a v6 must want a v8 front end . And maybe they will even be the same color .
There are diferences in the facia besides the mail slot, speaking for myself, I like the V8 facia more and a V6 facia will not accomodate my other mods.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #18
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
Cost me about $1000.00 bucks. Over the last year I have started to be able to see some of the outline on the drivers side. It might just be because I know where the mailslot used to be? I bought a donor fascia and they cut out piece and welded it in.
Attached Images

TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Seems now a days everyone replaces not repairs. You can plastic weld with a hot air welder, airless welder or even a soldering iron. The key is the material has to be completely clean and identified so the proper filler rod and heat range can be used. In the case of the Camaro's front and rear facia fiber flex rod seems to work very well, they are made of TEO, Teo and PP are two of the toughest plastics to weld but not at all hard. Welding in my plate holes took about 15 min after the facia was removed.Filling in the mail slot would require a donor piece, backed by wire mesh for additional strength then the welding, filler, prep and paint. After the welding you can use a flexible filler as you would spot putty for a flawless finish.
Thanks for the information. What do you use for filler after leveling the weld? I have tried alot of different 2 part fillers with no luck. Bondo seems to stick well but I know its not really the correct way to go. This black plastic fascias are made of now is a lot tougher to work with than the old yellow colored urethane.

Also where did you get your welder from? And have you tried the "sticky man" products?
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #20
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com View Post
Thanks for the information. What do you use for filler after leveling the weld? I have tried alot of different 2 part fillers with no luck. Bondo seems to stick well but I know its not really the correct way to go. This black plastic fascias are made of now is a lot tougher to work with than the old yellow colored urethane.

Also where did you get your welder from? And have you tried the "sticky man" products?
The facia's are made of TEO, and it is a bit more difficult to work with than the older urethane ones.

The welding rod I use is called Fibre-flex and works excellent on TEO.

I use 3M 5895 sandable plastic filler and it also works excellent

I also use a combination of welders, one a hot air welder and also a airless welder(soldering iron)

A good source for supplies and info is urethane supply co.

You can get an inexspensive welder from Harbor freight or Eastwood.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
OuSoonersGirl
I need a V-1 BAD!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What is a "donor" bumper? I am fixing to be on my 3rd bumper so I will now have 2 bumpers (I just havent thrown away the first one yet). Can't I just have the bodyshop use one of my old bumpers to fill in the mail slot?
OuSoonersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuSoonersGirl View Post
What is a "donor" bumper? I am fixing to be on my 3rd bumper so I will now have 2 bumpers (I just havent thrown away the first one yet). Can't I just have the bodyshop use one of my old bumpers to fill in the mail slot?
Yes, a donor bumper would be one that you could cut the needed pieces out of, in this case making one of your old bumpers the donor. Ideally if you came up with a V6 bumper the exact piece could be cut out and would allow for a cleaner piece, less seams and welding, I have been on the look out for one with no luck as of yet.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #23
OuSoonersGirl
I need a V-1 BAD!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for the reply CFD.
OuSoonersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
Couldn't you just use one of the mailslot fillers you can get from one of the many mod sites online and then fill in what remains of the seam that goes around the filler?

Like this one:

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsilhouette View Post
Couldn't you just use one of the mailslot fillers you can get from one of the many mod sites online and then fill in what remains of the seam that goes around the filler?

Like this one:

Dont think its made of the same TEO And its $140 for $275 you can get a new front bumper, but its nice to have the same plastic to use so it welds better.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #26
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
I, personally like my mailslot. And we all know that it distinguishes between a V6 and a V8. Not tryin' to start anything here, just sayin'. But...hey, if it tickles your fancy to do a mailslot delete, then go for it!
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote