Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #365
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Tim was able to find a location for the tank. I will have him provide the install info.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #366
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I would pass on the gears if it were me. I would use that money towards better axles or stronger clutch or bigger wheels with stickier tires. Suspension parts are a really really good idea. The brake upgrade is also a good idea. The supercharger that you went with makes sooo much low end torque I just dont see how gears would help. I also have a hard time puting anything in my car that is not at least as strong as the stock pieces and most of the aftermarket gears out right now are weaker units. Just my .02
My gear swap panned out EXACTLY as you describe. My car is a vette, but I think there are parallels. When my car was cam and bolt ons, I changed from stock 3.42's to 4.10's. Great mod with the cam. Then came the TVS charger. Unable to use the first three gears at full throttle with the TVS. During a differential lube change, noticed "glitter" floating in the oil. The aftermarket gear set was coming apart. Shoot. I found a stock Z06 diff (back to 3.42 gears) at a reasonable cost and did the swap. With a stickier set of tires, I now hook most of 2nd and all of 3rd. I think the car is as quick or quicker and I get about 1 to 1.5mpg better too. At the drag strip, I won't have to shift into 5th before the lites. 4.10's were overkill with the 'charger.....and they lasted less the 15K miles.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #367
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
My gear swap panned out EXACTLY as you describe. My car is a vette, but I think there are parallels. When my car was cam and bolt ons, I changed from stock 3.42's to 4.10's. Great mod with the cam. Then came the TVS charger. Unable to use the first three gears at full throttle with the TVS. During a differential lube change, noticed "glitter" floating in the oil. The aftermarket gear set was coming apart. Shoot. I found a stock Z06 diff (back to 3.42 gears) at a reasonable cost and did the swap. With a stickier set of tires, I now hook most of 2nd and all of 3rd. I think the car is as quick or quicker and I get about 1 to 1.5mpg better too. At the drag strip, I won't have to shift into 5th before the lites. 4.10's were overkill with the 'charger.....and they lasted less the 15K miles.
I have to say w/ a TVS, Whipple or KB, its going to be hard to hook up w/ a mn6 car. Lower gears will make it even harder. Not to mention most A/M gear sets are weaker and usually whine more than factory. On the other hand the cool thing is you can try em and see if you like them or not, keep your stock set and you can always go back to them.

I at least am not planning any gear change period. I may add a small stall, but if I can get the car to run in the 10`s w/ out it then I`m not going to add it.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #368
tandtperformance

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2011 PACE CAR 2012 ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to tandtperformance
go axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I would pass on the gears if it were me. I would use that money towards better axles or stronger clutch or bigger wheels with stickier tires. Suspension parts are a really really good idea. The brake upgrade is also a good idea. The supercharger that you went with makes sooo much low end torque I just dont see how gears would help. I also have a hard time puting anything in my car that is not at least as strong as the stock pieces and most of the aftermarket gears out right now are weaker units. Just my .02
tandtperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #369
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Guys, I know this will make many of the older gear heads happy. Tim spent today working the meth kit. We weren't able to find a set up I was happy with. Therefore we will not be installing it.

Instead we will be swapping the rear differential gear set. We will also be adding a lot of Pedder's suspension parts. No use having the power if you can't control it.

I am also considering the CTS-V Brake upgrade. Any thoughts?
Ooo... I like the way you think. Regardless of who you're going to go with, it seems to me that getting that rear subframe and diff' planted and secure are the first steps toward putting that power down and give you any hope of not shreadding that driveline.

Very cool thread

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #370
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
i dunno, i think the current brembos are good enough for stopping. i think the cts-v might be a lil bit more of a bling factor. now if i had the money would i get it? hell yeah lol. why not. haha. as far as suspension goes, yeah thats a must. imo, its pointless having alot of power if u can't control it or put it down to the wheels.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #371
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
i dunno, i think the current brembos are good enough for stopping. i think the cts-v might be a lil bit more of a bling factor. now if i had the money would i get it? hell yeah lol. why not. haha. as far as suspension goes, yeah thats a must. imo, its pointless having alot of power if u can't control it or put it down to the wheels.
Let me tell you from lots of experience ... Those Brembos are bad ass for sure BUT ... once you get 4000lbs moving as quickly as you do with this much power, you lose sight of how fast you're really going in such a short distance. Not to mention, just how nicely these cars ride in the first place, you just dont feel the speed. You get to 100mph in nano-seconds and then ... OH CRAP! I have to STOP ... now?!?!?!

My car goes 140 in the 1/4 and I'm standing on the stock brakes to make the last return road at 75&80. Around town, you can end up in someone's trunk if you're not carefull.

I remember reading about brake upgrades about a year ago now and thought "Are you guys crazy?" It wasnt long before I realized why the upgrades were available. I think if the cars were 500 lbs lighter, it wouldnt be as big an issue.

On another note, John just left with the final tune. I dont think I could have wiped the grin off his face with a baseball bat but I'll let him tell you about that
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #372
realsquash

Drives: Four Door Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefive View Post
Let me tell you from lots of experience ... Those Brembos are bad ass for sure BUT ... once you get 4000lbs moving as quickly as you do with this much power, you lose sight of how fast you're really going in such a short distance. Not to mention, just how nicely these cars ride in the first place, you just dont feel the speed. You get to 100mph in nano-seconds and then ... OH CRAP! I have to STOP ... now?!?!?!

My car goes 140 in the 1/4 and I'm standing on the stock brakes to make the last return road at 75&80. Around town, you can end up in someone's trunk if you're not carefull.

I remember reading about brake upgrades about a year ago now and thought "Are you guys crazy?" It wasnt long before I realized why the upgrades were available. I think if the cars were 500 lbs lighter, it wouldnt be as big an issue.

On another note, John just left with the final tune. I dont think I could have wiped the grin off his face with a baseball bat but I'll let him tell you about that
Are you still running stock pads? The single best bang for the buck for Camaro brakes are some good front pads. Hawk HP+ for example. You'd be surprised how much of a difference those make. Going from that to a CTS-V 6-piston setup in front with weak-sauce pads isn't going to get you much of anything.

Andy
realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #373
tandtperformance

WE JUST GOT DONE WITH DYNO RUN I WILL POST PICS AND VIDEO LATER

IT DONE 621RWHP 528 TORQ

FROM LAST RUN WE ADDED CAM AND DROPED PULLEY SIZE 3.875 FROM THE 4.00 TO BRING BOOST BACK UP FROM CAM CHANGE
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #374
tandtperformance

T & T SHOP CAR

HERE IS SOME PICS OF MINE THAT WILL BE RUNNING

Name:  WHIPPLE GLASS.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  116.5 KB
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #375
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
how much boost did it drop with the cam? what's the boost at now? was the 620hp on your dyno or the dynojet?
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #376
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefive View Post

oh i know, but keep in mind that some Braided SS lines, and some quality pads like some hawks, and i believe it will do the job just fine. not saying that the 6 pistons wont do the job as well they will, but i think it will be better for track, as they'll probably resist brake fade. some quality 2 piece rotors, SS lines, good pads. and i think the factory 4 piston brembos will be fine no matter how much power u have, unless u seriously track the car.

i could be wrong, but show me good evidence showing its an improvement, to where theres no repetitive stops to where the brakes warm up and i believe stopping distance will be the same. look at the v6 and SS, 60 and 70-0 times on all the magazines show them nearly identical. its on the track where it truely shows the difference where brakes get hot.

n e ways, that hood looks bad ass. so 621whp and 528wtq on a stingy dyno. u say add about 30 or so whp, so its sitting at around 650whp and 550wtq respectively? at 9-9.5 psi. now thats nice.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #377
tandtperformance

superflow not dyno jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94guy View Post
how much boost did it drop with the cam? what's the boost at now? was the 620hp on your dyno or the dynojet?
it droped in the 7s with cam change so we went down one size and brought it back in the mid 8s (BOOST)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #378
tsnow

Drives: 12' ZL1, AGM 6M
Wow
tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote