Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Was going to untill I found out they won't warranty with aftermarket headers.
Didn't read your signature.

I'm surprised your installer was OK with the E-Force tune, headers, and that CAI. Everything I've read for the last year warns against doing that. Said the A/F would be too high, among other things. Basically the reason they won't warranty it.
SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
I'm surprised your tuner could not safely improve your numbers over the canned tune. Sounds like you need to go somewhere that you can get what you pay for.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
These two videos should provide good info on the wires.

Hope this helps!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
Tom D

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post

Hope this helps!

These are what got me sold to try it out. And it does work. Quality of wire is obviously important. I drive the proof of that.
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #19
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
These are what got me sold to try it out. And it does work. Quality of wire is obviously important. I drive the proof of that.
I agree with you that the wires work and it's nice of you to share your results. As for some of the comments, just consider them like clouds that go by and vanishes...
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Keep in mind that their are 2 different dyno's in use here. hence different numbers. mustang dynos dyno significantly lower then dynojet. regardless of being a mustang dyno, i think its still low though. i would have thought 450's atleast on that mustang dyno.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
I would say that the MSD's were not installed properly.
There is no way an 8" wire will make any difference at all.

GM wires ohm at 300-400, MSD ohms at 35-40....

20 hp on a wire swap tells me the first set was not installed correctly. Plain and simple.
If this was accuarate then 20 hp would be as easy as wire swap and it would be a very very well know fact published when the LS engines came out 13 yrs ago...

The only reason we push new wires is the fact you generally damage one or two of the factory wires when you take them off if they are a little trouble coming off. That plus header installs you need the multi angle feature of the MSD to keep the boot away from the primary.

There are a few more wires out there that promise the same as well. They are very expensive and in the end what you have is an 8" long wire.. there is no loss in 8 " that makes a difference. If it did then gm wires would not ohm at 300-400... and GM could pick up HP and beat the Mustang by a simple wire swap.

This wire discussion has been hashed over a zillion times since 97..its an 8" long wire..

Last edited by CC Performance; 04-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #22
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post

Hope this helps!

Independant testing is what we want to see.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #23
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Tom as far as you HP numbers a mustang dynos read lower than a dynojet, but is a superior tuning tool.. The nature of the auto trans eats power as well, it shouldnt make the same as a stick car at the wheels..

Let me say this though... I am open minded.. and if someone wants to send me a set I will have them tested on a dyno and show the results... if in fact they make more power I will not only pimp them as such but I will make hybrids, If I can get the wire, using the 0 ohm wire and our terminals.. the double crimp multi angle system is the absolute best on the market .... I'll use the bests of both to make a hybrid wire to offer.

Last edited by CC Performance; 04-06-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added hybrid statement
Old 04-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
tsears

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99 - CGM
Guess I'm calling Granatelli.
tsears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #25
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
how much boost are you running, seems like you should have more horse power
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #26
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
You must of had really bad wires on the car ( I hate MSD's)

Either the wires were just bad which would cause the car to skip/misfire bad or from the looks of it the graph looks like the lower #'s were a dyno pull in 3rd gear and the higher one is done in 4th gear.

Wouldn't gain anything switching to there wire from a good GM wire at those power levels.
All runs were made in 4th gear - the easiest way to tell is MPH and Ramp - if the runs were made in different gears the MPH would be off and the HP ramp would not mimic like it does
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverIceman View Post
Didn't read your signature.

I'm surprised your installer was OK with the E-Force tune, headers, and that CAI. Everything I've read for the last year warns against doing that. Said the A/F would be too high, among other things. Basically the reason they won't warranty it.
Look at the a/f #'s. 12.2 all the way. Timing as was 16 and then when it got hot the system pulled itself down to 13 at the lowest

Like I said, I could have tuned 20hp into it but not 100 more. i was shocked at 19hp as well but the tests were done back to back - the Yellow ARP car gained 16 last week as well with just the wire change

Last edited by Granatelli; 04-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #28
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
I'm surprised your tuner could not safely improve your numbers over the canned tune. Sounds like you need to go somewhere that you can get what you pay for.
He got exactly what he paid for - He did not pay me to tune it. He was all set for a complete tune but I did not feel like ripping him off. Again I could have done work but his numbers match those of Edelbrocks claims and his air temps were going as high as 139 - The tune won't fix 139 degree inlet temps and 91 Calif octane. I did the right thing and the customer is sold on GMS because we did not try to take advantage of him