Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #99
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
If I were willing to void my warranty to tune AFM out of my car, I would also want to get rid of the AFM lifters. And since the cylinder heads or cam must be removed to swap the lifters (if it's even possible,) I would have the heads ported and polished and/or install a different bump stick. If I had the cash, I would forgo all of that and try to find a LS7 from a Z06 'vette instead.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #100
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post

So per Jeff's suggestion (PM'd), I called and opened a case with GM. Case 71-975740962. After explaining my situation, the person I talked with put me on hold for about 10 minutes while he called my dealership and talked with my service advisor. When he came back, he said that they were told that it was working as designed, and nothing would be done about it, but the engineering team would get a copy of the complaint for possible future design decisions.

I guess GM is just willing to let a bunch of unhappy customers spread the word.
So if it is working the way it is designed, we still have a chance to try and get them to allow us to tune it out or get them to put out a performance tune for it.

How do we start a petition?
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #101
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:

"Customer states that the Active Fuel Management is not disengaging when in sports or tap shift mode. Call TAC Case 975558370 Operating As Designed - AFM Disengages only on 2010 normal operation."

So per Jeff's suggestion (PM'd), I called and opened a case with GM. Case 71-975740962. After explaining my situation, the person I talked with put me on hold for about 10 minutes while he called my dealership and talked with my service advisor. When he came back, he said that they were told that it was working as designed, and nothing would be done about it, but the engineering team would get a copy of the complaint for possible future design decisions.

I guess GM is just willing to let a bunch of unhappy customers spread the word.

What does this "AFM Disengages only on 2010 normal operation." mean? AFM should be OFF in S/M modes? Do I need to open another case with my dealer?

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #102
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
I bought one of these from CFD:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ifter+tapshift

It's the best mod for the money you can make to the L99. Check out the thread, and send George a PM if you're interested.
I have seen those shifters and they are nice, but I would rather be able to shift the gears physically by click off every gear like an ratchet shifter.

Maybe a better angle with GM is this, they advertise this technology and claim it is not noticable by the driver. Its a great idea but if it annoys drivers and is completely noticable then it is truely complete crap for a so called performance/Muscle car.

Maybe if every L99 owner was to open a customer service ticket on the same day they would notice. But it would take alot of people to get the right attention. Personally mine is turned off and my motor I converted to LS3, so its not much of a problem for me. I had to spend alot of money to get rid of it and I would have been just as well to pay the gas guzzler tax to start with. The tax I think was only $1400, that is not that much to pay when you are already spending close to $40,000 to get a car that does not annoy you.
MudderFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #103
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
What does this "AFM Disengages only on 2010 normal operation." mean? AFM should be OFF in S/M modes? Do I need to open another case with my dealer?
That is what it said on my ticket. I guess since it is not in English, that we can't claim that they said it only works like that on the 2010. Maybe there was a date even on the 2010's that they changed the tuning. Maybe that is why some 2010 owners are saying that theirs doesn't activate in S/M mode.

I'm not going to give up. Just trying to think what my next approach will be.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #104
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
It only disables when you shift to 2-3-2, then it will stay disabled the entire time you drive or untill it removed from M mode, at which time you would need to downshift, upshift and the downshift again. Mine is a 2011 and this seems to be what everyone is doing that works. Just putting it in M mode or sport mode is not going to do it.
MudderFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #105
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
It only disables when you shift to 2-3-2, then it will stay disabled the entire time you drive or untill it removed from M mode, at which time you would need to downshift, upshift and the downshift again. Mine is a 2011 and this seems to be what everyone is doing that works. Just putting it in M mode or sport mode is not going to do it.

I know mine works this way and I have been driving with the paddles for over a year and a half. As a matter of fact, I am waiting for the new paddles from Hurst. However, I am not reading it this way based on 572HP and Jeff's posts on the subject. By keeping it vague, GM is really pissing me off. Would love to see a definitive answer about AFM from GM.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #106
kbui

Quote:
That is what it said on my ticket. I guess since it is not in English, that we can't claim that they said it only works like that on the 2010. Maybe there was a date even on the 2010's that they changed the tuning. Maybe that is why some 2010 owners are saying that theirs doesn't activate in S/M mode.

I'm not going to give up. Just trying to think what my next approach will be.

Maybe the next step would be a simple poll to see the percentage of L99s owners annoyed by AFM. Perhaps this percentage is small enough that GM don't really care.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #107
pensphan87

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible Bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
Im trying to chose between the two trans options, are you saying everytime you switch the automatic to Sport or Manual Mode you have to sequence the gears 2-3-2 to shutoff AFM? I am leaning towards manual I dont believe they will ever get this right.
pensphan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #108
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensphan87 View Post
Im trying to chose between the two trans options, are you saying everytime you switch the automatic to Sport or Manual Mode you have to sequence the gears 2-3-2 to shutoff AFM? I am leaning towards manual I dont believe they will ever get this right.
I have had both and I say without a doubt "Go Manual" I had no choice on the 2010 pace car the auto was the only thing offered.
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #109
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
Maybe the next step would be a simple poll to see the percentage of L99s owners annoyed by AFM. Perhaps this percentage is small enough that GM don't really care.
Sound good to me but, it should go in the general area so it gets more exposure..
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #110
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
I have had both and I say without a doubt "Go Manual" I had no choice on the 2010 pace car the auto was the only thing offered.
+1
I still have one of each, and I'd take the manual just about any day of the week over the crap AFM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #111
pensphan87

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible Bliss
Thanks for your input it has helped me to decide, mostly because you both have an auto and a manual. Im 42 and married this might be my only chance I have got to get it right. I wanted the LS3 so manual it is.
pensphan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #112
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I have a 2012 SS vert with the A6. Never does AFM kick in in sport or m mode. It must be doing what it's supposed to. In drive while cruising it kicks in and when given a little gas there is a brief hesitation but never in sport mode. I have 600 miles on it in the 10 days I have had it in all driving conditions. Hwy, city, and stop and go.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote