Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Reusing lifters

So I have to replace my engine block which is covered under GM warranty due to a TSB on the engine oil cooler line. Mine was cross threaded from the factory and leaking coolant. Since I know someone will make a statement I will just add this. The shop retapped it and put a new fitting and tried sealant and it still leaked. So my car is at the shop now and a new block is on the way. I planned on putting all my cam parts into the new block. I probably have less that 800 miles on all the parts. Anyhow, I am putting the cam into the new block and I was wondering if I am able to reuse my lifters. If so, do I need to make sure I put them in the same place on the new block as they were on the old block?

I plan on just putting my old heads onto the new block to save some time and labor and the service manager was good with that idea. This sucks...
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
New ls3/7 lifters are $95 on ebay shipped, otherwise I would try to keep them in their order though with a new block ...... Its nice that you are thinking of this but unless there are heavy tracking marks it may not matter as to their position and they were barely in there. I would be more of thinking about the gmpp ported heads for $1200 at summit... And would be wondering if you cannot convince them to do a double break in with driven racing br30 as its used by those in the know to break in ls3 performance engines, one oil dump after the initial break in then one 500 miles later....

Good Luck, I just bought a 428 and of the places I checked several insisted and even included in the price the BR30........
Old 06-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
If you are reusing the cam, lifters and push rods and rocker arms, I would keep everything in the same location. Always a good idea to keep parts that interact with each other paired. It certainly won't hurt so why wouldn't you?

Last edited by motorhead; 06-11-2015 at 06:33 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
sounds good. I'll make sure to tell them and since this is a brand new block I have already ordered BR30 from Tyler with JDP Motorsports.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote