Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Headers w/ exhaust cutouts

Sorry this is probably a stupid question, I'm a rookie when it comes to performance cars. I have a 2SS/RS/M6 and I had electric exhaust cutouts installed 2 years ago. I have been reading about changing the OEM headers with new headers to get some additional HP. My cutouts are installed past the existing headers, but b4 the mufflers. When I have the cutouts oepn isn't that giving me about the same thing as having larger headers because of the reduced restriction? Does it make any sense to replace the headers when you have exhaust cutouts already installed?

Would the cutouts have to be cut out and reinstalled if I purchased after market headers? The same question if I wanted to get a Borla exhaust, would the cutouts have to be cut out and reinstalled or would that section of exhaust piping stay as is and anything new could be installed b4 or after the cutouts?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
as long as you have them installed past the OEM cats. which i bet you do. then you will be fine getting headers. a lot of people run cut outs with headers. you will gain a lot of power and a lot of sound.

if you get a cat back borla exhaust you would need to reinstall. but if you get headers and borla muffler no need for reinstall.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Correct me if im wrong, but I'm not totally sure that you'll gain any power with opening cutouts. If anything, you'd lose some torque. I think they're purely for sound. There really isn't any restriction at the mufflers. An aftermarket axle back might net you 2-4 rwhp. A cat-back only 6-12 hp. Most of the restriction comes at the stock exhaust manifold and cats.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabamaro View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but I'm not totally sure that you'll gain any power with opening cutouts. If anything, you'd lose some torque. I think they're purely for sound. There really isn't any restriction at the mufflers. An aftermarket axle back might net you 2-4 rwhp. A cat-back only 6-12 hp. Most of the restriction comes at the stock exhaust manifold and cats.
he will gain a lot of power if he adds headers regardless of cut outs or not.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
he will gain a lot of power if he adds headers regardless of cut outs or not.
Oh I agree. I was only referring to whether or not he'd get power from opening the cutouts.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote