Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
OrangeChevyII

Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
No, they dont even get close. Car rides more agressive and feels like a sports car and not a boat.
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
are you running the eibach 1"? i would think when you launch the car at the track you might hit the stop and throw the car back forward?
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
OrangeChevyII

Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
Yes, no they do not hit.
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi SGOS252382!

Just thought I would offer my opinion on your questions, and our experience with our customers. We sell 1.25" Drop Springs, and have a lot of customers who drag race with these springs. None of them have reported any negative effects as a result of having them installed, or having an extra .25" drop than competitors. The spring rate is increased appropriately, but do not take this as having a harsh ride whatsoever. We pride ourselves on providing suspension solutions that offer the the best compromise for performance and comfort on the street. A lot of engineering has gone into our products, in the form of development and testing, for this very reason.

And, with that said, if you are concerned about wheel hop, I can tell you that our new Trailing Arm Kit has had a TON of success in eliminating this. Our customers who have been concerned with this have all came back and said it was gone after installing the trailing arms. Some even said that one side was bent from launching. Just a suggestion if you are looking for a solution. Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks for posting your questions!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #19
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
What's the spring rates on the stock vs Eibachs? In the Cobra community Eibach is considered to be by far the crappiest spring choice you can make. This is based on their spring rates/poor quality control and weak customer support. I myself unknowingly got tangled up with Eibach springs, and my research opened my eyes to the problems experienced by many.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
That's good to know. I was afraid they would somehow cause traction issues or maybe increase wheel hop. Saturday I experienced a little wheel hop for the first time in my A6. It wasn't much, but it was enough to slow me down just a bit.

IRS cars tend to squat heavily at the drag strip which is good for initiating weight transfer but bad for tire contact area. The more squat, the more negative camber and the less tire contact. Additionally, too much power combined with good tires will eventually cause the suspension to bottom out. We ran into this problem years ago with our Project GTO. As our power grew, the 60 ft/times dropped until we were bouncing off the bump stops and unloading the suspension. The point I am working towards is that lowering springs typically have an increased spring rate to compensate for the drop so up to a point they usually have a positive effect in aiding traction at launch because they resist squat better but they also put you closer to the bump stop. On a street/strip car with an IRS, the difference will be marginal and I doubt you will have any issues.

What is sometimes misunderstood is the statement that lowering a car creates wheel hop. This is only the case on some solid axle cars with link type suspensions. The reason is that it alters the suspension geometry, effecting the vehicles anti-squat capabilities. Thankfully, this does not happen with an IRS car...
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Xtreme Innovations & Fab
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
To start, unbolt your front sway bar and tie it up so it do it doesnt hit any thing- this is for the drag strip only,next you cannot compare a Gen 3 -Gen 4 to a Gen 5 chassis setup due to totally different suspensions and stay with a stiffer spring in the rear. Also get the biggest swaybar you can get for the rear.The problem with the new Camaro is you cant change the I.C. in car,in drag racing this is important, thats why we are making a straight axle conversion.

Last edited by Xtreme Innovations & Fab; 04-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Xtreme Innovations & Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #22
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
I have real bad wheel hop, i need some help big time! my car is ls3 stock everything. I lost time at the track because of the hop. 13.8 was the best time i got any mods that can help eliminate the problem.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
IRS cars tend to squat heavily at the drag strip which is good for initiating weight transfer but bad for tire contact area. The more squat, the more negative camber and the less tire contact. Additionally, too much power combined with good tires will eventually cause the suspension to bottom out. We ran into this problem years ago with our Project GTO. As our power grew, the 60 ft/times dropped until we were bouncing off the bump stops and unloading the suspension. The point I am working towards is that lowering springs typically have an increased spring rate to compensate for the drop so up to a point they usually have a positive effect in aiding traction at launch because they resist squat better but they also put you closer to the bump stop. On a street/strip car with an IRS, the difference will be marginal and I doubt you will have any issues.

What is sometimes misunderstood is the statement that lowering a car creates wheel hop. This is only the case on some solid axle cars with link type suspensions. The reason is that it alters the suspension geometry, effecting the vehicles anti-squat capabilities. Thankfully, this does not happen with an IRS car...
Good info! I was surprised how hard my car squats... but did not think about the negative camber... makes sense... I'm just still in the live axle mindset! LOL!

Lowering springs are going in Tuesday....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
I have real bad wheel hop, i need some help big time! my car is ls3 stock everything. I lost time at the track because of the hop. 13.8 was the best time i got any mods that can help eliminate the problem.
Hi Caliman9323,

You should take a look at our Pfadt Rear Trailing Arm Kit and our Rear Subframe Mount Kit! We have had a TON of success with customers dialing out their wheel hop with these products. It is common for people to see wheel hop elimination with just the trailing arms as well. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions. I have posted a short video below showing both the mounts, and the arms. Thank you!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
Xtreme Innovations & Fab
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
Hi Caliman , when your dealing with bad wheel hop , 1st- factory rubber bushings could be changed ,2nd- possibly control arm changes, 3rd-overlooked alot of times , a good set of coilover shocks with the correct spring rate. These are a few things to take a look at.
If I can help you out with any of this ,give me a call. Also we will be introducing alot more of our products at Camaro5 fest.

Last edited by Xtreme Innovations & Fab; 04-11-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Xtreme Innovations & Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #26
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Having drop coils will add higher coil rates, they have to, which is a benefit to reduced squating. So for this they have a benefit. But they also have a down side, Lowering the rear, will also create a lot more negative camber, thus reducing the amount of equal tire contact. The challenge is hindered by the amount of insufficient throw of the rear camber bolts. After doing a lot of Camaro drops and alignments, OE eccentric will get you the most positive camber of around -1.0 to -1.3 range. Pedders, has recognized this concern since day one.We have a rear alignment kit that will give you more throw on the eccentric, thus giving you the ability to reduce the effects of higher negative cambers. With a 1.6 inch rear drop, you will be able to get the rear cambers to the -.5 degree range.

We also have a special rear coil for those that do not want much of a big drop but a nice spring rate increase. The 220035 rear coils is ideal for drag racing, and Camaros that are challenged in the rear due to oversized wheels and tires that may not fit well.

You can greatly enhance your handling and ETs by tightening up on a bunch of bushings in the back end that will suck up hp.

Pedders has dedicated drag systems, including the Justice Drag Pack that will allow you to adjust the front dampers to a 70/30 and the rear at a 30/70. The a couple of clicks, and you are back to normal

Here is a link to the Camaro Drag kits

THANKS
MIKE
DMS
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #27
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
CAMARO WITH DRAG PACKAGE INSTALLED

Camaro Set up with Drag Package

I had the pleasure today certifying yet another California dealer, an new Chevrolet dealer! John L Sullivan, in Roseville, Ca. is now officially Pedders Camaro Certified. They have our Camaro coil overs and our Camaro drop coils in stock! Bill is service advisor I dealt with, a great guy and very customer oriented. The tech is awesome. His name is Mike and is the only tech that will do Pedders.

The kit we put in is our Pedders Drag Xa Kit, a very serious kit. Here it is:

Item Code Description Qty
160086.......................Camaro Ext Xa Adjust Coilover 1
EP1167HD.................. Zeta HD Differential Mounts 1
EP1201HD..................Camaro HD Rear Sub Frame Repl 1
EP2112 ......................Zeta Steering Rack/Pinion Mnt 1
EP6577.......................Camaro Front Radius Rod Bush 1
EP7264.......................Zeta Rear Lower Control Arm In 1
EP7322 ......................Camaro Rear Upper Control Arm 1
EP7323 ......................Zeta Rear Trailing ArmToe Link 4
PDUSACAMFULL ..........Camaro Full Alignment Kit 1

Here are some pictures:

BEFORE INSTALL. THIS CAMARO WAS EXCEPTIONALLY HIGHER THAN THE NORMAL SSII

AFTER PICTURES SET UP FOR 75% AGGRESSIVE STREET, AND 25% AGGRESSIVE DRAG

AFTER PICTURES SET UP FOR 75% AGGRESSIVE STREET, AND 25% AGGRESSIVE DRAG

HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE MAJOR COMPONENTS FOR THE DRAG XA

FRONT RADIUS ROD HD BUSHINGS THE OEs ARE FLUID FILLED AND OFFER SOME CONCERNS FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

FRONT RADIUS ROD INSTALLED

FRONT CASTER ECCENTRIC INSTALLED. INCREASED OE CASTER BY 2.35 DEGREES

POWER STEERING RACK POLY BUSHING INSTALLED

PEDDERS EP1167HD REAR DIFF VERY HEAVY DUTY BUSHINGS INSTALLED IN THE CAR WITHOUT REMOVING THE DIFFERENTIAL

REAR UPPER CONTROL ARM BUSHING. CRITICAL FOR WHEEL HOP REDUCTION

THE REAR PEDDERS EP1201HD SERIOUSLY HD SUBFRAME BUSHING

FRONT PEDDERS EP1201HD SERIOUSLY HD SUBFRAME BUSHING

TRAILING ARM PEDDERS BUSHING IN KNUCKLE ASSEMBLY

TRAILING ARM LINK AND TOE LINK PEDDERS BUSHINGS INSTALLED

PEDDERS REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHING INSTALLED

REAR XA COIL OVERS AND REAR CAMBER ECCENTRICS INSTALLED. WE WERE ABLE TOT GET TO POSITIVE CAMBER WITH THIS CAMARO WITH A 1.5 INCH DROP!

FRONT XA COIL OVERS INSTALLED

The alignment was modified to assist the aggressive drag request. Vehicles was lowered front and rear but at strategic level.

Hope you enjoy it.!

thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote