Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
How often do you wax or use sealant?

Man I just detailed my truck about 6 weeks ago. It's been pretty clear here bit some snow and a lot of dust from the gravel. Anyway, I miss that slick feeling the car has the first few days after applying sealant.

So how often do you apply sealant or wax? I know it can last 6 months, but is there any reason not to do it more often (other than expense)? I also have some Optimum spray wax I have yet to try. Just curious what you guys do. Nothing like closing the car door and have it slide off your finger like it's wrapped in satin .
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
nealdiwes

Drives: 2011 camaro ls
Personally; I try to wax mine every two to three months. After two months it seems that the wax has worn off and the slickness of the wax is gone.
nealdiwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Hamilton2400

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra/2015 GMC Acadia
I wax mine once every 3 months. And as far as that spray wax goes I'm not to crazy about that. I only use meguairs ultimate wax and polish. Looks amazing with a buffer
Hamilton2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Man I just detailed my truck about 6 weeks ago. It's been pretty clear here bit some snow and a lot of dust from the gravel. Anyway, I miss that slick feeling the car has the first few days after applying sealant.

So how often do you apply sealant or wax? I know it can last 6 months, but is there any reason not to do it more often (other than expense)? I also have some Optimum spray wax I have yet to try. Just curious what you guys do. Nothing like closing the car door and have it slide off your finger like it's wrapped in satin .
I've had the Optimum car wax spray for a while and used it for the first time a few weeks ago. That stuff is great. My car is a black high mileage daily driver. What really jumped out at me was the dust didn't gather as near as quickly.
As long as you aren't getting dulling from build-up then you could apply as often as you like.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
The time between will really depend more on how often your car is left out and driven in the elements then on the calendar. Unfortunately unless you have some sort nano coating the only answer is when it needs it.

Remember sealants and wax are used to protect although when applied do have a heck of a slick feeling to it. To get and maintain that slick feeling in between sealant and wax applications, you should doing a proper 2 buck hand wash with proper ph balanced soap or if there is only light dust, ONR. Then maintain between sealant and wax applications with products like Pinicle XT300 or another spray wax. That will offer a good in between step to your detail regiment that doesn't suck up your whole weekend, still keeps wax(protectant) already on your car in tact, gets it looking great and will still bring back that slick touch.

My point here is that you should have a structured technique in your detail regiment for keeping your car looking great that doesn't involve devoting your whole weekend to the cause, but still offers the bare necessities of protection.

Hope at helps
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Lnch Mny

Drives: IBM Camaro
all the time. I use the water beads as my informant. if water is not beading it's time for wax. But I agree thta it depends on how much sun your car sees and the elements. I detail because I just love doing it so it is up to you. good luck may friend!
Lnch Mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
sealant I usualy apply twice a year, right before winter and once again in the spring when I do a full detail. I usually layer wax over the sealant, use Collinite 476 for winter and Megs #26 monthly during the spring, summer , and early fall. Klasse SG is my sealant of choice!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnch Mny View Post
all the time. I use the water beads as my informant. if water is not beading it's time for wax.
Water beads? LOL, this time of the year up here any water that gets on my car is in the form of snow .

Got no drain in my garage so when the truck gets dirty I use a touchless car wash. This year I might try and do the ONR no rinse wash after that when I get home. The issue then is drying it (which I posted about before). Not going to use the blower because there is dirt and saw dust in the garage and it'll probably make a mess of the now clean car.

I'll just keep expermenting. I added a second coat of sealant the other day. I only got one coat on and wante too. Love the compliments when people see it all shiny. Just feels good walking up to a clean ride .
Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer after every wash to keep it going between waxes. Helps also with getting rid of the tiny water spots that still may be on the car even after using the dryer.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer after every wash to keep it going between waxes. Helps also with getting rid of the tiny water spots that still may be on the car even after using the dryer.
Cool, was looking at Optimum's quick detailer for the same thing. May try one of these. Now just need to get some plush MF towels for that application. I'm gonna need a catolog to organize my dang MF towels!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Cool, was looking at Optimum's quick detailer for the same thing. May try one of these. Now just need to get some plush MF towels for that application. I'm gonna need a catolog to organize my dang MF towels!
Get Waffle Weave towels. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-x-2000.html I use this towel after blow drying the car to do the Quick Detailing.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post

us it as well, seems to be a cut above other detailers I have used, highly recommend!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Your best bet to a very long protectant and always slick feeling is to do the following:

1) 1 Layer of sealant
2) 1 Layer of wax
3) Clean once a week with Pinnacle waterless wash with carnauba

That should be good for 6 months if you stay with the waterless wash.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Wash every week, Correction work once to twice a year, Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant ( 3 Coats ) and maintain with BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant spray twice a month after a wash.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote