Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
June 6 1944

D Day in Normandy.

You can take a fairly good virtual tour of part of the landing area by examining the coast of Normandy in Google maps. Many 'street view' areas are present, or at least there used to be.

To find it easily, simply type in 'pointe du hoc' in the search field. Also type in 'American cemetery Collevile sur mer'

Lest we forget.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
silverz28

Drives: 1996 Camaro Z28, 2012 2SS/RS
Thanks, love History
2012 2SS/RS IOM, LS3, Aftermarket Hurst shifter, IOM interior, Borla "S", 1 7/8 Big Flow headers, ADM Race cold air, BMR 1" lowering springs, SLP Supercharger, Custom Comp Cam, Fore Innovations twin pumps, Flex Fuel Sensor
silverz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
D Day in Normandy.

You can take a fairly good virtual tour of part of the landing area by examining the coast of Normandy in Google maps. Many 'street view' areas are present, or at least there used to be.

To find it easily, simply type in 'pointe du hoc' in the search field. Also type in 'American cemetery Collevile sur mer'

Lest we forget.
I did a Normandy tour in 1982. Incredible at what these brave soldiers/aircrews/naval assets, etc. accomplished. Visiting the cemetery was a very emotional experience for me.

Lest we forget.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

It seems cliche but the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan was in 1998, to me, a poignant portrayal of emotion on a movie screen. Well done and believable.

Today when I see that scene something always goes in my eye. Whatever 'cinema' was applied to the scene, it is an accurate portrayal of emotion experienced by many. I have read a lot about 6 June 1944 and I still learn more about it every day, for instance the role of the US Coast Guard, which was gallant and is largely un-sung, I learned today.

It seems sane people could not accomplish what they accomplished. To me, the fact that something like this was done cements the idea that those people made the world I live in today, because I simply cannot imagine it really happening despite knowing it- and many other things as daring and dangerous and costly in lives- did happen. I can't imagine it because they made sure I didn't have to experience it; I have no frame of reference in my experience that remotely parallels it. They did it so I wouldn't have to.

God bless every one.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
It seems cliche but the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan was in 1998, to me, a poignant portrayal of emotion on a movie screen. Well done and believable.

Today when I see that scene something always goes in my eye. Whatever 'cinema' was applied to the scene, it is an accurate portrayal of emotion experienced by many. I have read a lot about 6 June 1944 and I still learn more about it every day, for instance the role of the US Coast Guard, which was gallant and is largely un-sung, I learned today.

It seems sane people could not accomplish what they accomplished. To me, the fact that something like this was done cements the idea that those people made the world I live in today, because I simply cannot imagine it really happening despite knowing it- and many other things as daring and dangerous and costly in lives- did happen. I can't imagine it because they made sure I didn't have to experience it.

God bless every one.
Very well said...

There are very few military/war films that make the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and my eyes mist... this is one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

This may interest:

http://www.vonabt.co.uk/dios/D_DAY/album/index.html

These guys do a lot of 1/6th impressions and smaller size too, as the members get older and are less mobile.

Here's their full website. Some of the things are whimsical, the vast majority are historical.

http://www.vonabt.co.uk/

Some of the 1/6 scale stuff seems like photographs from real life.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I visited the cliffs where the Rangers came ashore. How did they climb that? To see it, I would be, you want us to go all the way up there? They got grenades, bullets, artillery exploding, the kitchen sink, everything raining down on you. Just to capture some guns that weren't there. God Bless America!!!!!!!!!! Very interesting websights, thank you Chris
Old 06-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

You're welcome
Old 06-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
You're welcome
One more time, thank you for reminding us....
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
ragzl1
JOHN

Drives: 13 ZL1, 69 RS, 19 Z06, 57 Vette
About every other year I take the better half for a drive that ends up at a national cemetery. Visiting them helps keep ones life in perspective. All gave some and some gave all.
Attached Images