Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
eric grinder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Got my zaino kit in..do I really need to dawn my BRNAD NEW 2SS??

Title says it all, have about 200 miles on my new ride. Just picked it up last week and figured I should do the zaino thing asap. Does the car come with wax on it? Or can I just go right to the zaino car wash step?
eric grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric grinder View Post
Title says it all, have about 200 miles on my new ride. Just picked it up last week and figured I should do the zaino thing asap. Does the car come with wax on it? Or can I just go right to the zaino car wash step?
Unless you live right down the street from the plant, your car has been on a truck with diesel exhaust particles wafting over it and possibly on a railcar with rail dust thrown on it. It doesn't come with a coat of wax on it but you might as well take the 30 minutes to do the dawn wash to ensure you start with a truly clean surface for Zaino.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I washed her with liquid detergent, clay barred her, then washed her with Zaino wash. Then 3 coats of wax (Z3, Z5, Z3 - all with the ZXxx watchimicallit) then detailed with Z6. Lots of work, but well worth it!

Now to see if those darn water spots come off tomorrow with another wash :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
mnywstr

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
I washed her with liquid detergent, clay barred her, then washed her with Zaino wash. Then 3 coats of wax (Z3, Z5, Z3 - all with the ZXxx watchimicallit) then detailed with Z6. Lots of work, but well worth it!

Now to see if those darn water spots come off tomorrow with another wash :(
Man I feel your pain. I love black cars and after the last one I swore I wouldn't get another black car because I could never keep it clean for more than a few hours after laboring all day detailing it.
mnywstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnywstr View Post
Man I feel your pain. I love black cars and after the last one I swore I wouldn't get another black car because I could never keep it clean for more than a few hours after laboring all day detailing it.
Man I hear you on this one... This is my first black car and it is a lot of work.. But this car is worth it
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
It is! My first new car was a 1982 Black Camaro Lots of work! I love the body on this car so washing & waxing her is great! I just am Very sad she sits outside, and right now, without a cover :( Oh well...

After her first wash & wax:
Name:  Mine_GFX1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  48.0 KB

Trying to keep her clean:
Name:  Mine1.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  48.7 KB
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
I would wash it with Dawn. And I'd clay as well.

I like to start with a "clean sheet" anytime.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
eric grinder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yea I think some of you misunderstood me. I was ofcourse fully planning on washing her with the zaino car wash. I just didnt see the need to dawn it seeing it doesnt come with a wax coat on it??
eric grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yea I think some of you misunderstood me. I was ofcourse fully planning on washing her with the zaino car wash. I just didnt see the need to dawn it seeing it doesnt come with a wax coat on it??
Dawn isn't just for removing the old wax. It also removes other chemicals that is found in the air and builds up over time. Some even recommend washing your car once a year with Dawn just for that purpose.

Your car was behind a tractor trailer muffler with diesel fumes and unburned diesel particles running against it. Personally I would.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote