#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
AutoX numbers and classes. Need advice

Was looking into getting another custom set of numbers for the car. Havent done so in years and i cant even find my class card.

I was looking into a piece like this, where all is included.

Question is, are these more track pdx style or ok for autox? I mostly see people with the individual numbers and separate class card setup locally. Just wanted something a bit different. And tired of using tape
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Was looking into getting another custom set of numbers for the car. Havent done so in years and i cant even find my class card.

I was looking into a piece like this, where all is included.

Question is, are these more track pdx style or ok for autox? I mostly see people with the individual numbers and separate class card setup locally. Just wanted something a bit different. And tired of using tape
I think it depends largely on where or who you will run with. In my SCCA region (Central Carolinas) you don't have reserved numbers, it's whoever registers first for an event gets it. (although if you are in different classes you can both use the same number) In that case I like having the flexibility of being able to move my numbers around if I need to. (it hasn't happened yet but just incase) The fix for that and I suppose the best of all worlds would be to get a placard with your # and class and then order an extra #1 separate that you could just put in front incase there are number conflicts or you have a co-drive. I don't think I would put my name on it though, just # and class.

Also I have a guy who is one of our regions sponsors who does really great numbers/placard's/vinyls if you are interested just PM me.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
I ordered a static cling oval & number kit from a company called GoChecker for my car earlier this year. 5ea, 8" numbers and two ovals (14.25" x 21.5") for under $50 plus their class decal kit, 4ea characters (numbers and/or letters) for $16. Lots of numbering possibilities with 5 numbers (remembering that a 6 can become a 9 pretty quickly so that's potentially 6 numbers).

Anyway, after I got them and read how to apply them properly so that they would stay on, I figured I wouldn't want to be applying them at an event if I didn't need to. So I ordered a magnetic sheet from Amazon that was big enough to cut in half and use for each of the ovals to prep the panel ahead of time. That cost me about $10.50.
I initially applied the numbers and autox class designation to both magnetic panels a few days ahead of my first event. Next day I noticed that the numbers/letters weren't staying attached to the magnetic sheet very well. The surface is not as smooth as a painted car panel or the static cling oval (which the instructions suggest should be smooth & clean) that came with the number kit.

So, I used some spray glue and glued the oval to the magnetic sheet. This worked like a charm! I have yet to have any items come off of the oval, even at 140+mph at Daytona. Unlike another friend of mine on this site . Hint; individual magnetic numbers don't work so well at those sustained high speeds. Laminar flow can be a Bitch!

Here's their web link, they also have free shipping in the US!
http://www.gochecker.com/changeable-...tic-cling-oval
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzberd6 View Post
Hint; individual magnetic numbers don't work so well at those sustained high speeds. Laminar flow can be a Bitch!
Individual numbers can work just fine at high speed as long as you stick all of the leading edges down. If you were fussier than I was, you'd get a better 3-D effect at speed/at distance. All I cared about was that they stay on the car. For autocross, I never needed to tape them down. They were at least 8 years old at the time this picture was taken (Mid-Ohio, AutoInterests event, with a few other Camaro5 members).

I do carry the numbers in a folder that makes them sit flat and separate from each other. Plenty of number combinations available with only 8's, 5's, and 1's.

Norm
Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Individual numbers can work just fine at high speed as long as you stick all of the leading edges down. If you were fussier than I was, you'd get a better 3-D effect at speed/at distance. All I cared about was that they stay on the car. For autocross, I never needed to tape them down. They were at least 8 years old at the time this picture was taken (Mid-Ohio, AutoInterests event, with a few other Camaro5 members).

I do carry the numbers in a folder that makes them sit flat and separate from each other. Plenty of number combinations available with only 8's, 5's, and 1's.

Norm
Laying them down flat between uses is really important. Otherwise you have a corner that wont lay down flat when you put them on the car. I usually just sick them to the side of one of my cabinets in the garage so they can lay flat for a few weeks in between uses. The only problem with that is I am always paranoid I am going to leave the on the cabinet when I head to the track instead of throwing them in the trunk.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
trophy hunter

Drives: 2016 1SS - M6
Also some advice for magnetic numbers
1) make sure to keep the magnetic side clean/wiped off to provide good contact and to avoid micro scratches in the paint.... this can be achieved by either of the two methods listed above.
2) to make the magnetics hold better (ie more pliable) - once you get to the event, put the numbers face down on your manifold ....... this will heat up the material and will provide the greatest contact ability to the metal
Good luck and have fun !
trophy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Drysideshooter

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
If the numbers are for autox you don't need to worry about sustained high speeds. I prefer using the magnetic numbers because they are easy to rearrange if you need to for a particular event. They're also handy with a co-driver. My son and I often co-drive a car and his number is 227 and mine is 272. Move the first 2 to the end after he runs and it works for me. I like having the class on a separate, single magnetic placard.
Drysideshooter is offline   Reply With Quote