Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Parking brake cable

Pulled up at a gas station today, and as I went to set the parking brake, I felt a pop. The handle lost all resistance. I'm assuming the cable broke. Any idea how difficult this is to replace or where it is under the car? How much woukd you expect a dealer to charge to fix it? Thanks!
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
You can do it yourself. I just had this same thing happen to me. If you can get under the car, take off the exhaust and take off the heat shield and the cable is there right above the drive shaft. You will need a new handbrake from a gm parts store of your choice. On the inside of the car, just take out the right plastic panel and theres two bolts holding it (handbrake) down. Unbolt and take out and replace. BACK underneath the car connect the handbrake cable to the holder (you will see it) that connects the handbrake cable to the rear cable (this rear cable goes to the rear wheels). It will look like this back of car =- front of car. The equals is the rear cables and the minus is the handbrake cable. Good luck bud
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabamaro View Post
Pulled up at a gas station today, and as I went to set the parking brake, I felt a pop. The handle lost all resistance. I'm assuming the cable broke. Any idea how difficult this is to replace or where it is under the car? How much woukd you expect a dealer to charge to fix it? Thanks!
Hi Rabamaro,

We're sorry to hear your parking brake cable may have broken. We would be happy to contact a dealership on your behalf if you would like to have this concern repaired at your local Chevy dealership. Feel free to send along a PM with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage and dealership name at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkJunk420 View Post
You can do it yourself. I just had this same thing happen to me. If you can get under the car, take off the exhaust and take off the heat shield and the cable is there right above the drive shaft. You will need a new handbrake from a gm parts store of your choice. On the inside of the car, just take out the right plastic panel and theres two bolts holding it (handbrake) down. Unbolt and take out and replace. BACK underneath the car connect the handbrake cable to the holder (you will see it) that connects the handbrake cable to the rear cable (this rear cable goes to the rear wheels). It will look like this back of car =- front of car. The equals is the rear cables and the minus is the handbrake cable. Good luck bud
Awesome. Thank you so much for the reply. I found a new handbrake assembly at a local dealer that I'll pick up tomorrow. I was thinking that the drive shaft would have to be dropped as well, but your description makes me think otherwise.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
I did not need to drop the drive shaft at all bud
I also want to add this to the example
rear of car =|- front of car
the equals sign is again the rear brake cables, the l is the holder that holds the ends of the rear brake cables and the handbrake cable together, and of course the - is the hand brake cable... the holder should be almost if not dangling on the driveshaft
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
hysonmb

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS
Thanks for this thread. My cable has 0 tension right now, going to fix it tonight.
hysonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysonmb View Post
Thanks for this thread. My cable has 0 tension right now, going to fix it tonight.
Mine just broke too.....
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Same thing just happened to me !!! Any body know the part number of it ?
Thanks
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
Synner

Drives: cars
It's not a single piece you actually have to look to know what broke.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
Scotty D

I odered a used brake handle from Hawks motorsports.
Should be here tomorrow & I have the rear cables as well .
Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
Bludevil2k1

Drives: 2015 2SS
Same happened to me. Just got a call back from the dealer $600!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you kidding me??? For a cable replacement? WAYYYYY overpriced. None to happy with Chevrolet service at the moment. That's ridiculous! The part is $60 - $65.
Bludevil2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
Scotty D

I did it myself.. ordered a used hand brake from hawk motorsports
Wasn’t that bad to do .. the hardest part was takin the factory exhaust off & on
But all in all not bad !!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
Adriadic

Drives: Chevy Camaro 1le
I can’t seem to pull the brake cable the last 1.5” to the cable holder. Any tricks to it. I think I might have to loosen the parking brake adjustment but didn’t think it would make that big of a difference. I’ve been tryin to pull the brake cable without removing the exhaust but maybe I’ll have to do that to get some more leverage. It just seems like it’s bottoming out and my brakes have already been tightened so maybe that was a mistake. Any suggestions??
Adriadic is offline   Reply With Quote