Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
stangs024

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
Exhaust underwhelming, advice on next step?

Hi all. So I recently got a new SS and one of the first mods I did was my exhaust. I went with a Stainless Works catback, NPP with AFM delete. I love the sound of it, after all I listened to quite a few and I went with this one for the tone. But one thing I don't like is it's just not very loud... it's maybe a little bit louder than the stock NPP. I went with the NPP because I wanted to keep the ability to quiet it down when desired, but I want it to roar when I open it up, and this system just doesn't give me that. I've browsed through the exhaust threads on here and from what I can tell my options are high flow cats, headers, and cutouts/diverters.

In the future I'll probably purchase some headers and high flow cats, but I want to do all of that at one time so that I only have to tune it once... plus I'm not exactly financially ready to do all of that at this point.

I'm just wondering the best next step to take... If it's cutouts or diverters, what would you guys recommend? Any advantages/disadvantages of either? Or is there a more ideal route to go right now? Thanks in advance.
stangs024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
From a loudness perspective, you should have purchased long tubes, first. I think you’re going to be plenty satisfied with the loudness factor once headers go on. I personally think cutouts are super tacky but, they can be effective with certain setups. They can make a car loud, for sure but, I think your money is better spent on long tubes.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Next step...save, save, save! And then add some SW long tubes to your set-up!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Next step...save, save, save! And then add some SW long tubes to your set-up!
I have the stainlessworks axleback and it’s definitely louder at startup. It also seems like after a break-in period they have gotten louder. If you check YouTube, there is a nice video that speaks to the stainless works exhaust with dB...as mentioned, the headers with the stainless works makes the car considerably louder than stock.

I am worried that without the NPP, my setup is gonna be too loud. So I am now looking at options to add npp capability.

Looking forward to hearing your results after headers.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
headers and stock npp exhaust sounds really good to me but i wanted it louder so i added a catback exhaust also and its perfect on streets and a screamer on the track lol
Old 06-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
stangs024

Is it really that much louder by just adding headers? It makes sense to me and doesn't at the same time... exhaust is still going through the same mufflers after all.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
Here's my thread for what I did.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532073

Only so much decibles can come out of a muffler before starting to be absorbed, and break up the sound, distort, etc.

Considering you're like me where headers and tune aren't a priority right now especially considering the cost per hp gained, I think you should look into cutouts.

Axelback are stupid expensive. It probably cost as much as long tubes, with longtubes being a better option.

Any system that's esentially straight pipe, even the ones that have some sort of passthrough muffler just for passing inspection are essentially the same as cutouts, so I don't think they're a bad ghetto solution, if anything they're a solid choice for going quiet when you choose to without having to deal with whatever comfort drawbacks (drone, loudness) some aftermarket exhausts seem to come with
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
stangs024

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospiece View Post
Here's my thread for what I did.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532073

Only so much decibles can come out of a muffler before starting to be absorbed, and break up the sound, distort, etc.

Considering you're like me where headers and tune aren't a priority right now especially considering the cost per hp gained, I think you should look into cutouts.

Axelback are stupid expensive. It probably cost as much as long tubes, with longtubes being a better option.

Any system that's esentially straight pipe, even the ones that have some sort of passthrough muffler just for passing inspection are essentially the same as cutouts, so I don't think they're a bad ghetto solution, if anything they're a solid choice for going quiet when you choose to without having to deal with whatever comfort drawbacks (drone, loudness) some aftermarket exhausts seem to come with
Can you link the one you bought? I am kind of leaning towards cutouts/diverters and I've heard a lot of good things about Noweeds, but I still have to research a bit more. Thing is at this point I'm more focused on sound... May decide to mod for power later but that's once I've got the $ to make it happen, right now I don't.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Kooks long tube headers, secondary cat delete, Borla X pipe and Borla ATAK axle back. As loud as you will ever need.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I've had the Noweeds diverters for a year and I've programmed one button to open only 25% which adds a deep rumbling loudness to the exhaust that I like. The wide open setting is a little too "no muffler farm truck" sounding for me, but it is what I use when I'm racing/track.
I do plan to do headers/tune at some point when ARH's don't cost over $2k!
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
Joel2702zzz

Drives: My Dad's car is a '16 1SS 6MT
Or just buy headers from speed engineering, super cheap, might need some minor adjustment and some diy but can't really beat the price.

$350 od for just the headers: https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...2l-engine.html
or $500 od for headers and x/mid pipe: https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...2l-engine.html.
Joel2702zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #12
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Headers make more of a difference than an axleback, if you have the npp, imo

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
stangs024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel2702zzz View Post
Or just buy headers from speed engineering, super cheap, might need some minor adjustment and some diy but can't really beat the price.

$350 od for just the headers: https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...2l-engine.html
or $500 od for headers and x/mid pipe: https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...2l-engine.html.
Wow those are super cheap. Do you have these on yours? Or has anyone used them? Feel like there should be a catch for that price. Also what's the difference in headers 1 7/8" vs 2"? Just a slightly deeper tone with the 2" or what? My system is 3" from second cats back is there a certain size I would need for that?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #14
bullet3z

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
OP, did you remove the secondary cats when you did the cat back system? Removing the secondary cats made a noticeable change to me.
bullet3z is offline   Reply With Quote