Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
V6 owner tests a 5K mile ‘12 SS today!

So I saw this gorgeous white Camaro with orange stripes parked in front of a Lincoln dealer and had to stop to check it out - it’s a ‘12 2SS/RS auto with sunroof and orange interior with only 5K miles on it! They were asking $26K for it which I think might be a sweet deal with that mileage??? I could only find one blemish - a little paint chip on driver’s side mirror (see last pic below). As I’m checking it out a salesman comes out with the key and asks me if I want to take it for a ride. Since I have a V6 vert and have never driven a V8 5th gen coupe I said “hell yes!” LOL.

I used the switchblade to remote start it so I could enjoy the exhaust come alive - much better than my V6. Opened the sunroof and was surprised to see it slide on top - I don’t think I had ever noticed it does that before. I had almost no headroom at first (I’m 6’ 2”) but after adjusting the seat to where I liked it I had about an inch of clearance - definitely no room for a helmet as someone asked about in another thread.

I loved the orange leather seats and dash trim! (I’m a gator grad so I love orange). While the stereo sounded pretty good the interface was awful - gave me new admiration for the mylink in my ‘14. I noticed the rear seat had no subwoofer in the middle unlike my ‘14, not sure if that’s a coupe v. vert thing (the vert seat is fixed and can’t be folded down like the coupe) or if it was something they added with the mylink?

I also noticed the info center between the speedo and tach only had 2 modes instead of 3 like my ‘14 and had lower quality resolution and no colors. Same for the HUD which I noticed only had 3 modes instead of the 4 on my ‘14 - no big deal as I only use the one with speedo/tach combo anyway - but I missed the colors on mine. It also felt weird not having switches to lower the rear windows like on my vert.

I then spent about 10 minutes trying to find the fog light button - I could see the fog lights on the front of the car but there was no freaking button where it was supposed to be like on my ‘14. While I was looking all over and under the dash and looking at the turn and wiper stalks for a hidden button the salesman googled it and found a video explaining how to mod the car to turn them on - then I suddenly remembered reading somewhere that they are actually daytime running lights on the pre-facelifted cars and not really fog lights - wtf Chevy?

So I drove the car and it was great - the salesman was very cool and let me hammer it. I was expecting it to feel a bit nose heavy compared to mine because of the extra weight of the V8 but it didn’t - I think the extra weight of my vert makes it about the same weight as the V8 coupe? It tracked perfectly and drove smooth as butter, just like a new car. I was a bit disappointed with the acceleration - don’t get me wrong it was very good and noticeably better than my V6 but it was not a night and day difference. There’s only a 77 hp difference between the L99 V8 and the LFX V6 (400 v. 323) so I guess that makes sense. The stock exhaust sounded good but I could tell it was stifled quite a bit - easily remedied of course with aftermarket.

I also tested the brakes with a hard stop from about 60 - much better feel and power with the Brembo’s compared to mine. All in all it was an extremely fun car to drive and beautiful to look at, I can see why Chevy sold so many of them! However when I got back in my vert and cruised home with the top down with the wind in my hair I knew right away I was keeping my vert - the sunroof just isn’t enough for me. Now if I could only find a ZL-1 vert to test! LOL Here are some pics, isn’t she beautiful?
Attached Images

Last edited by GatorGreg; 07-11-2018 at 08:20 PM.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice price with such low mileage
Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
It's interesting there wasn't a night and day difference like a lot of the V8 only snowflakes would have you believe.

Plus, it's a lighter V8 coupe versus a heavier V6 convertible. Heck, I'm thinking a 6sp manual V6 coupe would probably feel just about the same or even faster than a stock L99 then. I don't know, maybe the L99 you drove was down on power or something.

I guess I won't have to "test drive" a V8 to feel this "night and day" difference the V8 guys like to argue about. As for the "low end" torque argument. Well, I know what low end torque feels like. I own an L98 '89 Firebird GTA as well.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
The night and day difference comes with the LS3.

Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
You seem like a pretty good dude, Mr Gator, and go with the spirit here in the ol C5 forums. I too would have ‘some’ trouble with a 2-model year slide. I drove a ‘12 45th LT for almost 3 years. Called it, mama’s car. Ha! She did talk me into it. Somewhere in the archives here is a thread from me talking about ‘the worst mistake I almost made’ referring to a V8 test drive when I owned the V6.

You know the drill, it was another, “here we go again” thread about a V6-er on a justification quest. They were right. Long story long, I eventually got what my heart desired. I of course, went up in model years. Again, two more cylinders and an older car would be a little tough but dang, only 5K miles? That’s a pretty sweet deal. And don’t underestimate what a fuse pull, 91-3 octane (which they prolly don’t have in it) and a tune (etc., etc., etc!) could do for that car. But you gotta want it! And I don’t think you’d regret it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
It's interesting there wasn't a night and day difference like a lot of the V8 only snowflakes would have you believe.

Plus, it's a lighter V8 coupe versus a heavier V6 convertible. Heck, I'm thinking a 6sp manual V6 coupe would probably feel just about the same or even faster than a stock L99 then. I don't know, maybe the L99 you drove was down on power or something.

I guess I won't have to "test drive" a V8 to feel this "night and day" difference the V8 guys like to argue about. As for the "low end" torque argument. Well, I know what low end torque feels like. I own an L98 '89 Firebird GTA as well.

Could have 87 in the tank as well. In my opinion the stock gen 5 SS is kind of a dog. My SS 1le felt quickish for a day or so. I test drove two gen 5 ZL1s and felt they weren't that quick either for 580hp.
Flame suite on. Lol
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Go for it if you can. I have the same combos / options in my early '10 SS. After 9
years I'm still getting compliments on my 53,000 mile Camaro. I would hope to
get about $20,000 for my near perfect SS, so $26,000 for this one is in line IMO.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a rental v6 camaro once. It got up and went but was no v8. IMO the V6 doesn’t have that snap your head back power/torque.
Not flaming any V6 drivers but don’t try to suggest a v6 6 speed is going to equal or supersede the SS.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
$26k is more than I’d pay, even with 5k miles.

Quote:

The v6 inferiority is showing. Get over the v6 vs v8 issue. My garage has had both and both were fun cars
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
The night and day difference comes with the LS3.

You wanna bet?
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
You seem like a pretty good dude, Mr Gator, and go with the spirit here in the ol C5 forums. I too would have ‘some’ trouble with a 2-model year slide. I drove a ‘12 45th LT for almost 3 years. Called it, mama’s car. Ha! She did talk me into it. Somewhere in the archives here is a thread from me talking about ‘the worst mistake I almost made’ referring to a V8 test drive when I owned the V6.

You know the drill, it was another, “here we go again” thread about a V6-er on a justification quest. They were right. Long story long, I eventually got what my heart desired. I of course, went up in model years. Again, two more cylinders and an older car would be a little tough but dang, only 5K miles? That’s a pretty sweet deal. And don’t underestimate what a fuse pull, 91-3 octane (which they prolly don’t have in it) and a tune (etc., etc., etc!) could do for that car. But you gotta want it! And I don’t think you’d regret it. Just my 2 cents.
The Mojo speaking the truth right here.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:

Come on now Gringo..that lack of night and day difference you refer to only equates to a 8 or 9 car beating in the 1/4. Your right you would hardly feel it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

You have to tune the L99s to wake them up
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #14
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
You have to tune the L99s to wake them up
He couldn't care less.

He constantly spouts this nonsense and rags on the L99 in stock form every chance he gets. Frequent talk of $2000 mods to the V6 against a STOCK L99, as if the L99 owner couldn't spend the same money and absolutely destroy the V6. It is fairly obvious his feelings have been hurt somewhere along the line. Was it just L99 owners ragging on the V6? Nope. But he seems to think the L99 is some sort of easy target or low hanging fruit.

What I find truly funny is how salty he gets in those threads when he is just as bad, if not worse, than those bashing the V6's. At this point it is getting kind of embarrassing. I just hope he doesn't stop.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote