Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #1
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
“Watch for falling rocks”

So while driving to work on Super Bowl Sunday, the “FALLING ROCKS” sign became reality on Carbon Canyon Road. Could have been worse; the big one I stopped short of was probably 18” in diameter.

FML. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Anyone recommend a good body and paint shop in the IE?
Attached Images

Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Thank god it wasn't worse!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Ohhhhhh......... That SUCKS Bro....... For what it's worth, at least you missed the other one........
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Man that sucks!! Glad your okay though.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
Walt88

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I'd see if you could locate a rear ended or parted out black 6th gen and just swap doors
Walt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Yikes!! Good luck on the repair. It looks like the door took the brunt of it - at least that can be replaced outright. I doubt you're in a laughing mood, but your post immediately reminded me of this:

https://youtu.be/7C9gNNlYJUA?t=5m17s
Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yikes!! Good luck on the repair. It looks like the door took the brunt of it - at least that can be replaced outright. I doubt you're in a laughing mood, but your post immediately reminded me of this:

https://youtu.be/7C9gNNlYJUA?t=5m17s

There’s a lot of truth in that video, because in the moment, I was rather helpless. I could brake, and did, and that was about it. There were two cars in front of me literally “Sunday driving” trough the canyon at about 10 MPH below the speed limit. And at the moment of truth, there was oncoming traffic as well.

I considered dropping a gear and doing the a-hole pass over the double yellow at least a few times to get around the Sunday drivers, but didn’t because I had plenty of time. That’ll teach me to be nice, I would have otherwise been out of the canyon already by the time the rocks fell.

I was in a pretty dark place with it yesterday evening, but I’m In a better humor about it now. I just work doubly hard to keep that car in good shape as a daily driver for something random like this to happen.

It just pisses you off.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
Man that sucks!! Glad your okay though.
Thanks man.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromike77 View Post
Ohhhhhh......... That SUCKS Bro....... For what it's worth, at least you missed the other one........
Truth. It would have destroyed the car.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Well that's annoying. It's the kind of stuff that would me up at night. A decent shop could bring it back like new, but I agree with the others that you should go the replacement route. Good luck!
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Man View Post
I was in a pretty dark place with it yesterday evening, but I’m In a better humor about it now. I just work doubly hard to keep that car in good shape as a daily driver for something random like this to happen.

It just pisses you off.
I hear you.

A month after I bought the 2014 SS 1LE, I deer ran into me while traveling at 45-50 mph, literally 4 doors down from my house. It did $15,000 in damage, and the car was in the shop for a month and a half because they couldn't get a hold of some of the new parts associated with the refresh.

I thought my car would stay perfect and pristine so long as I drove carefully and polished it right every other month. Boy, did that turn my world upside down.

On the other hand, 3 years later, I am kind of glad for it. It taught me that while these cars can be our most prized possessions; they are still just cars, and they can be repaired. So long as the damage is not structural; it doesn't change how great they drive, look, or how much they mean to us.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #12
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Damage always shows up more on black cars, I know you are probably sick about this and rightly so, but the damage isn't that bad and will be an easy fix with the right shop. In the meantime, you need to purchase a DA buffer, if you haven't already, and practice on paint correction, compounds and polish. It's a must if you own a black car. Good luck with the repair.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Years back I investigated a Porsche 930 Turbo that hit a big rock at speed in the Wolf Creek Canyon. Took out some frt suspension components as well as breaking lft frt rim. Then travel back and took out the oil pan.

He was NOT a happy Camper.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I thought my car would stay perfect and pristine so long as I drove carefully and polished it right every other month. Boy, did that turn my world upside down.

On the other hand, 3 years later, I am kind of glad for it. It taught me that while these cars can be our most prized possessions; they are still just cars, and they can be repaired. So long as the damage is not structural; it doesn't change how great they drive, look, or how much they mean to us.
I appreciate you saying that. My conscious mind has had to remind the subconscious voice that keeps suggesting that it’s never going to be quite the same to STFU.