Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
looking at coupe and vert

hello. wanted to get opinions on verts for 2014. any thoughts if there are improvements over 13s? a few 13 verts on the lots here in kansas city area, if i go with coupe, will probably order to get color. my finances allow me to go 2LT coupe, or a 1LT coupe. a couple 13s here are 2LT and rebates are out there. i do NOT want RS package, as dont want summer only tires. this will be daily driver. i keep my cars long time. have had 86 camaro t top, geat car, have 98 firebird t top. have considered verts in past, but shy away with blind spot. the forums on here and fb on vert problems are scary, and the way service/gm treats people is worse. i like the camaro. SS not really an option,due to gas mileage and the tires on those, and again for daily driver. looking at auto too. anyway, i understand Magna makes the tops now, but not in the 2012? thanks for your comments.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I don't know of any significant changes with the 2014 top, but that's not to say there aren't any. I wouldn't be scared of by the top issues you have heard of. Most people have little or no issues with the top. I did have a fairly common leak on mine, but it was just a misinstalled drain hose. It was quickly and easily fixed. I also had a leak in the trunk due to missing body sealer, but that had nothing to do with the top itself. Again, it was addressed quickly under warranty and that problem is very rare. I have not had my top or water bag replaced and I currently have no wear marks, rub issues, or leaks.

I have a 2012 RS which I drive in winter, but I bought a dedicated set of steel winter wheels and snow tires. Even with different tires the RS rims are very wide in the back and not well suited for snow. My point being you shouldn't feel limited by what tires and wheels come on the car. You can switch them out easy enough. You can pick up a set of 18 inch base Camaro steel wheels for cheap, and tires are much cheaper for that size as well.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The RS package has a lot of great features that are worth having - this is especially true on the 2014s. You can always swap out tires but it is more work to take RS features and put them on a car that doesn't have the RS package
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
kevinw

ok thanks. will take all that into consideration.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
kevinw

whats all your opion on color for vert tops? black seems to be common, but the beige looks cool, especially with a black car, or red car, or blue. beige may show the dirt more too i guess. seems most camaros i see are black with black top, and no contrast of color. thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
The beige may show dirt a little more, but the black shows lint and pollen pretty bad. So both have their drawbacks. I would say get whatever color you like best.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I don't believe the beige top is available anymore unless you find a used car with it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
kevinw

I think black and beige are avail in 14 models. seems alot of verts are black with black top. i could get a new 13 2lt vert for about 1500 under invoice with rebates and i have 2200 in gm earnings
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Re: Top - My honest statement to this is buy the car and ignore the top drama. IF you have issues, notify your service department and wait a few years. They are still fumbling their way through the top fixes. No point to make yourself a Guinea pig when you can just wait and get it fixed proper down the road.

I have wind noise, creaking, and rub marks. I am waiting.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
kevinw

ok thanks falundir. by the time a person reviews all these threads on the problems, it is enouigh to scare anyone away. i want a car that isnt going to spend most of its life in the shop, a new car expecially. if i want that, i can keep the 35K and just put money into my 98 firebird. but given that this will be my daily driver, cold, wet, summer, etc, maybe the coupe is more "practical" , if there is such a thing in a camaro, than a vert. i have had 2 cars with t tops and love the sun, so that is why a vert seems appealing, despite the issues.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
kevinw

what a difference on camaro vs firebird

wow. got back from dealer and they closed. i been looking for a bit, but i parked my 98 firebird t top next to a camaro coupe and a vert. what a culture shock. my firebird is mostly all glass, the couple has some but mostly steel and the vert mostly all canvas. i guess it just takes adjustment. i have driven both a 2010 LT and SS couple a ways back that were a friends. i didnt seem to have a problem till i made the comparision. maybe i just freakin out. i am 55 and this will be a daily driver. i guess outside mirrors are the key, or if a vert, just keep the top down. lol. have you folks adjusted ok to the vert in rush hour traffic, daily drive in the city ok? i still need to re test drive both cars. looking at 2LT couple in a 2014 probaly, and maybe a 13 vert leftover with the rebates and discounts they have now. thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Falundir

You get used to the reduced vision.

The only problem with a vert in traffic is sitting in the sun with no airflow gets VERY hot real quick. I have been tempted to make my own vented seats as a result.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Falundir

Another note, if you are going to DD this in KC I would have concerns about how the top can hold up to the salt in the winter.

It is not a vert, but consider a sunroof in the coupe as well. You will lose some headroom however.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
eblanchette

Drives: 1LE
Nothing beats driving a convertible in summer. period.
eblanchette is offline   Reply With Quote