Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #407
bilydean

Drives: One of the rare ABM camaros
Does this mean if we need a replacement switchblade fob we can't get it anymore?

Dean
3400 6/20 TPW of 6/29
3800 7/3
4D00 7/8 interned at QC
4B00 7/16 Released from QC
4200 7/20

8/5 We picked up the car
bilydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #408
Mrdownsouth

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
Hey have you guys head there is a recall on Camaros?
Did u read any of this thread, or are u just trying to be a smart a$$?
Mrdownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #409
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I just went out and tried, there is no way i can possible do this. I cant get my knee within 3" of it.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #410
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I hate to break it to you guys, but because this is a safety recall, the dealer is absolutely obligated to perform this recall if they have the vehicle in their possession. Failure for them to do this is breaking federal law. They won't stick their necks out to please any of you. It's non-negotiable.

Right now, they can't perform these recalls because they do not have the paperwork, and possibly even parts, to perform the recall. Once they do, if you take your car to a dealer for ANY REASON AT ALL, they are obligated to perform the recall. Does that mean they'll come to your house to search for "unsafe" keys? Hell no. If you have one stashed, there you go. Problem is, the recall may involve replacing the ignition tumbler as well, and then your old keys won't work anyway.

Chatter is useless until we see the official recall. Keep your panties on in the meantime.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #411
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Sounds like a geat reason to go to the Corvette style push button start to me! Come on GM! Give us push button start!

If only.........
Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #412
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I just went out and tried, there is no way i can possible do this. I cant get my knee within 3" of it.
GM is probably just covering bases with the key switch, the media loves to blow things out of proportion and people freak out when they see "recall".
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #413
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stock View Post
Of course, this could have been all avoided if the Camaro had a push-button starter like many of the other current model cars in the marketplace...
I said that in 2010 when I got my first Camaro, LOL
-bobby
Old 06-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #414
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I have a NISSAN Altima 3.5SR coupe to run errands with & the ZL1 for grins. I've never had an issue knocking the switchblade key fob out of run position with my knee, but I have adjusted my analog fan speed dial a few times

I'm not totally sold on the Altima's push button start feature. As you approach the car, I suppose someone could hop in & drive off if you were within range. On some cars, all someone would have to do to enter the vehicle from the rear would be to sweep their foot under your rear bumper. I try to block out & instantly repress things like start/stop technologies, driverless, automaton GOOGLE-mobiles & collision avoidance interfaces. All a carjacker would have to do to stop your car would be to walk out in front of it & the brakes would kick in.

I suppose that a GOOGLE-mobile would have merit for some folks in a sobriety checkpoint.

You'd have to be pretty short & scrunched up on the steering wheel to nudge the fob on the Camaro. For me it's pretty much a non-issue.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #415
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I hope they give me the option to keep the 2 I have and sign a waiver .
Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #416
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
yeah its sensitive, I've never tried on my car lol..
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #417
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I hate to break it to you guys, but because this is a safety recall, the dealer is absolutely obligated to perform this recall if they have the vehicle in their possession. Failure for them to do this is breaking federal law. They won't stick their necks out to please any of you. It's non-negotiable.

Right now, they can't perform these recalls because they do not have the paperwork, and possibly even parts, to perform the recall. Once they do, if you take your car to a dealer for ANY REASON AT ALL, they are obligated to perform the recall. Does that mean they'll come to your house to search for "unsafe" keys? Hell no. If you have one stashed, there you go. Problem is, the recall may involve replacing the ignition tumbler as well, and then your old keys won't work anyway.

Chatter is useless until we see the official recall. Keep your panties on in the meantime.
Where's this law you're talking about? You're saying some pretty significant things about this, you better have something to back it up other than "it just makes sense".
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #418
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
GM is so gun shy right now,if there is any possible way that something may go wrong with any of their cars down the road,they are taking care of the POSSIBLE issue now, I think this would be a GREAT time to just install push button start on all of them,then I would have this recall done,
The same thing happened to a buddy in his old Audi TT (car shut off when he bumped the key)... don't recall a recall, ha ha! Anyway, I agree that GM being under the microscope is a factor in this.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #419
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Where's this law you're talking about? You're saying some pretty significant things about this, you better have something to back it up other than "it just makes sense".
If I remember the law correctly, all vehicle repairs/recalls performed by the dealers have to be done with authorization from their owners...

You also have to sign a form with the dealer saying that your car is in the shop for some repair work...

Simply don't sign that form. I am going for an oil change in a few weeks, I will clearly state that no recall work be performed... else I can go to a private dude to change my oil... I will leave the choice to them.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #420
rscheff3

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS, 97 Wrangler Sport
So every VW, Audi, or any other car with a switchblade key since ever will now be recalled because some bozos can't figure out how to travel down the road without turning the car off by PHYSICALLY ROTATING THE KEY TO OFF?

Seriously? You know what else is dangerous? The ability to turn the key to off with your hand. Actually the ability to drive is dangerous. We're clearly not mature enough to handle it. Take the cars away.
rscheff3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall