Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Don't expect summer-like traction during a full-out second gear pull, but you can expect to have more grip than most other vehicles on the road running their crappy all-seasons.

Sorry....but no! All seasons in cold weather will do better than ANY summer Z rated tire all day every day in the cold northern temps.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #16
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
You should be fine....just be careful and know there's risk. It's not like you are trying to be a daily driver on those tires in that weather. Watch hills...going up and stopping if going down. I'd try to avoid them if possible if they are not plowed and de-iced. That's my 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #17
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Well, three people drove with those tires in crappy weather and lived, so go for it.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #18
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Look at this tire

40% of it is big blocks, you got a center area for water siping, thos angles for partial water siping but more for corner traction.

So snow is like sand and in sand you want to ride on top and not dig in so you have a big wide tire. So like sand that tire will want to ride on top of the snow not sink down and use its non existent grip to move you along.

Not saying performance cars made for summer can't go in the snow with traction control. I got caught at work one night and they decided since it was so late that they wouldn't plow the highways till the following day. I had to take the highway to get home. I drove home the whole time at 45 to 65 degree angle in the world longest sideways drift at 30 mph. Now that was rear wheel drive and with all season performance tires. would of been ok if they were 245 or less wide, but being 315 it was useless.

Now another time in my SVT Focus with Yokohama 008's which oddly enough looked like the F1 supercar tire, being front wheel drive. In simular snow it took me 3 hours to do a 15 minute drive.

Yes you might get lucky and even if the cars tires are in a warm garage to start they will be cold in wind and on a cold road in no time.

Get full coverage, always have plenty of blankets, water, and food. Stopping at hotels is not a bad thing either.

So enjoy your pucker factor
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I drove my P-Zeroes in some nasty stuff before I knew that they were dangerous.
The G2's... good luck. I wouldn't do it.
I second this. In VA we don't get much snow. Had a GTO with all seasons, no real problem besides hearing all the sand/salt blasting up on the car. Still not driven in deep snow. Then got the Camaro with p-zeros. Thought if I could control the GTO. Then thinking back had a light weight rear wheel drive RX-7 in high school and college in WV and PA. P zeros would be no problem. I was wrong. Last winter went to the gym knowing snow was coming, just around freezing temps when going home with light dusting. It was scary and a long drive. I only live 5 min away. Cant imagine what the G2's would have been like.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:15 AM   #20
crimsongtp

Drives: 2014 AGM SS/RS 1LE
I think someone hit the nail on the head. As the drive goes on it will get easier. Average temps back home (GA) right now are in the 60s. Once I get through southern IL I will be solid. If I get really bad weather I may have to delay or leave early depending. I plan on taking it at the pace that is safe. I really wish my SUV had the towing capacity to just pull my car but it does not. I am stopping half way in TN and then continuing the next day so I'll get rest, and I should be in a generally warmer area of the country. (not warm but better than N IL)

Thanks for all the tips fellas.
crimsongtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #21
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
Sorry....but no! All seasons in cold weather will do better than ANY summer Z rated tire all day every day in the cold northern temps.
Saw over 1G in the HUD on my favorite 270-degree corner on the way to work last year on G2s. Ambient temp was in the mid to high 20s. Had 15 minutes of 70mph highway driving before the exit ramp.

My old V6 Accord couldn't do that on an 80 degree day in the summer running these (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Clar=EX-L%20V6)

So I will still stick by my original statement. Do note that I compared it to other vehicles on the road, not comparing to another 1LE running all-seasons, which I agree would likely grip better (and I should know, my winter wheels with all-seasons are on right now).
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #22
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsongtp View Post
I think someone hit the nail on the head. As the drive goes on it will get easier. Average temps back home (GA) right now are in the 60s. Once I get through southern IL I will be solid. If I get really bad weather I may have to delay or leave early depending. I plan on taking it at the pace that is safe. I really wish my SUV had the towing capacity to just pull my car but it does not. I am stopping half way in TN and then continuing the next day so I'll get rest, and I should be in a generally warmer area of the country. (not warm but better than N IL)

Thanks for all the tips fellas.
We are from just a bit south of you in Brunswick. Have a safe trip. You can do it!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #23
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Because this has been beat to death on here. I will offer you this advice.

Just make sure your insurance is paid in full. Pray to whomever your God is and believe in good luck!

If you can truly afford the car, you can afford different tires and to ship your stockers to your home......Cheaper than the depreciation from an accident or some deductibles.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #24
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Because this has been beat to death on here. I will offer you this advice.

Just make sure your insurance is paid in full. Pray to whomever your God is and believe in good luck!

If you can truly afford the car, you can afford different tires and to ship your stockers to your home......Cheaper than the depreciation from an accident or some deductibles.
^^^ That.

Good luck and all the best..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #25
ForcFed93

Drives: 2001 2500HD
RIP crimsongtp.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #26
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
RIP crimsongtp.
Lol, ^ no faith in this guy.

Good luck OP.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #27
crimsongtp

Just an update. Was a perfect drive in the cold. Had snow two days prior and some of the roads were wet/had some snow on them and it was fine.

So EAT THAT
Old 01-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #28
crimsongtp

Also, on that 2 days prior when my home area got like 6 inches of snow and freezing rain, I attempted to push a Zl1 out of the snow. He had stock tires that had about 0 miles left on them. I was unsuccessful at getting him unstuck lol. No clue why he attempted that.