Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Wileycoyote

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
That is awesome
Wileycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
This afternoon's session the instructor cut me loose to run solo (all run groups had mandatory instructors for the first 1-2 sessions). I thought this was rather brave of him given the few occasional corners I still messed up spectacularly in the second session The traffic was not as bad and I actually got a couple clear runs down the main and back straight. Depending on how well I got through the turn onto the straight I was hitting 115-123 on the front straight (from turn 20 to turn 1), and 135-148 (best) on the back straight. The later session and the better traffic flow made for faster laps and MUCH harder braking. I actually pitted in a lap early when the brake pedal got suddenly "squishy" heading into turn one. That was one long and nerve racking lap getting around close to 3.5 miles babying the brakes. I was a bit surprised given I had changed to Motul 600 brake fluid and had had no fade on the first two sessions. I hope the brakes hold up tomorrow. Even if I have to cut sessions short.

On a side note, I was pleased to find out they got a last minute approval for a photographer. By mid week I'll have some good photos to share in addition to the video. BTW, if anyone knows an easy way to edit (clip to shorten) GoPro videos let me know. I am not a very good "tech" guy..

Couple from my son: First "start/Finish", second is the top of the hill just turning in for turn 1

Thanks for the break down on the day,that sounds fantastic.That is odd though about your brakes,i didn't have one issue at Laguna. I am not a computer or tech person either,but this is what my boy did so i could get my GoPro stuff up. He installed "freemake video converter"on my computer.I can now load to the computer,then to freemake video converter,and cut/edit and then post to utube to show. If no one here has any other info,and you aren't able to get that program,and cam make a DVD copy,you can send it to me and i will do it for you.It would be on my utube page,but i can send you the link and then you will have it.Hopefully someone here will have a better idea.

Last edited by cornerspeed92; 06-08-2013 at 10:17 PM.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #17
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This is like the coolest thing ever!!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
Are you passing all the BMWs?
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
Cornerspeed92...thanks for the hints on the gopro to edit. I'll give it a shot. I'm not expecting anything amazing, if I can just clip out time sitting on grid and shorten clips for a couple YouTube shots I will be happy.

I get up today and check the weather...weather channel app says 10% until noon, some possible pop up showers in the afternoon. Not bad I think. First run this morning, one lap and then.....sprinkles/light rain..Two laps, downpour. The skies open up and a wall of water falls. One lap more and I either need a bucket to bail out the water coming in the window (slight exaggeration) or time to pit in. I choose to pit. Being a new track, it is very slick when wet. Rains steady for 90 minutes. Brave souls who go out look miserable, wet, and talk about many cars spinning out. Weather finally slows to a drizzle when the BMWCCA Club Racers head out for their Sunday event. Actually, the wet track made it much more exciting to watch than yesterday's race.

The sun is out and the humidity arrives. I'm sitting in the garage being thankful for the shade and watching the novice group getting their first dry run of the day....they are all smiles now. I've got my two last runs coming up and the radar is clear! Fingers crossed on the brakes. My instructor from yesterday morning says it is likely the combination of the high afternoon heat, the higher speeds with better traffic flow, and the more aggressive pads. He gives a few tips and got one of the racers he knows well to bleed the brakes just in case. We will see. I'm going to go out, have fun, and be very aware of the pedal feel as the session continues. If I'm smart, I'll back off for a lap in the middle to let them cool.

Last edited by Phdpsy; 06-09-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Phdpsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
Are you passing all the BMWs?
Most...not bragging, just the way it is working out. There is a GT-R, supercharged vette, and two supercharged late model M3s in the group that are very, very fast. They have all run here before and the GT-R is hitting close to 165 on the back straight if it is somewhat clear. Hoosier R6 tires are also giving him great grip in dry sessions. (He pitted in behind me in the rain this morning...."I'm not wrapping a $125k car into the wall" he says.

The track is long enough that you often may not see some of the cars in your run group at all. I've got a couple guys in my group that I know that run tuned 1Ms. We have tried to get lined up at grid to be able to play a bit, but have not had much luck. Traffic separated us a few times and the grid Marshall is very unpredictable as to who he will let out next.

The video clip is the first session after my spongy brake pedal experience. Taking it a little easy on some straights due to being a bit nervous about braking at the end. You will see the GT-R and Vette get waved by on the back straight...not going to try and chase them down. the guy in the white 1M is a complete ass. He never would wave me by. He was tuned and was just under 400whp and 420rwtq. He could just pull me a little on the straights, but I kept catching him in turns. At the end of the session he says "This is not a Chevy event, I don't have to let you by". Nice.... Excuse my occasional fussing. Frustration with him and my driving was annoying me :-)

Last edited by Phdpsy; 06-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #21
Phdpsy

I'll try to post a better clip at some point. Ive been working out of town and want to review the other footage to see what I can get. Fun track if you ever go there.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
So you didnt finish your story about the brake fade.. what happened the next day after the rain?

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 06-21-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
Most...not bragging, just the way it is working out. There is a GT-R, supercharged vette, and two supercharged late model M3s in the group that are very, very fast. They have all run here before and the GT-R is hitting close to 165 on the back straight if it is somewhat clear. Hoosier R6 tires are also giving him great grip in dry sessions. (He pitted in behind me in the rain this morning...."I'm not wrapping a $125k car into the wall" he says.

The track is long enough that you often may not see some of the cars in your run group at all. I've got a couple guys in my group that I know that run tuned 1Ms. We have tried to get lined up at grid to be able to play a bit, but have not had much luck. Traffic separated us a few times and the grid Marshall is very unpredictable as to who he will let out next.

The video clip is the first session after my spongy brake pedal experience. Taking it a little easy on some straights due to being a bit nervous about braking at the end. You will see the GT-R and Vette get waved by on the back straight...not going to try and chase them down. the guy in the white 1M is a complete ass. He never would wave me by. He was tuned and was just under 400whp and 420rwtq. He could just pull me a little on the straights, but I kept catching him in turns. At the end of the session he says "This is not a Chevy event, I don't have to let you by". Nice.... Excuse my occasional fussing. Frustration with him and my driving was annoying me :-)

Very nice,good to hear back from you.As far as the ASS in the 1M,he is just a piece of ***king **hit!!!!!!!!!!!! and shouldn't be allowed to breath the same air as the rest of us!!!
In the track events i run, we have a download session after our runs where we signal these losers out,did you have these? Its not about a "chevy event" its about class and integrity.We don't pay these high dollars to feel as if we are in the fast lane of the freeway!
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Yes. That kind of attitude has no place in hpde events. You need to report this kind of behavior to the marshall.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
Phdpsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
So you didnt finish your story about the brake fade.. what happened the next day after the rain?
Never had any further issues with the brakes. After they were bled I backed off a bit at first to check them, but then built back to typical speeds. I think the biggest thing was lack of familiarity of the track and not having good established braking points. I had fould myself braking longer than needed a the end of many straights instead of hitting my mark, really getting on the brake, and being able to back off more quickly. I also was doing a few sections with light braking, where I really did not need to brake at all. After a little adjusting of the screw behind the steering wheel (me), brakes were not an issue any more.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
Phdpsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Yes. That kind of attitude has no place in hpde events. You need to report this kind of behavior to the marshall.
I talked with the guy right after the session and you can see the initial attitude and response. I brought up waving faster cars around in the next class session, but few people seemed to have issues and I did not want to publicly single him out in the group....since he let "most" people go by. However, I did find my instructor and complain and show the main event coordinator part of the in car footage......he talked to the guy, but I never saw him again on track.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
That is one awesome video. I sure hope to do that someday.

We're having another Camaro Corral at COA in September if you can make it.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302809
Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
How the hell did i miss this thread?! Looks like another satisfied 1LE customer!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote