Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
I've test driven some auto tranny cars that have the 'manual' shift feature built into the shifter - that seems more intuitive and useful than paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

I drive a 6M, while the missus' car has paddle shifters and I only play with them occasionally, but the missus never uses them.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Almost never here, but when I get the new Chevy SS, it has the Slap Shift function and I will use the hell out of that ...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
Garys16SS

Drives: 2016 SS, BLACK, MANUAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Almost never here, but when I get the new Chevy SS, it has the Slap Shift function and I will use the hell out of that ...
I bought the aftermarket bigger shifter pedals for on the column and these were OK, but I have since purchased the pushbutton kit for on the floor shifter but have not installed it yet due to working out of town,(Gary IN.) I normally have the shifter in manual and still play with the column pedals, but I feel the pushbuttons on the shifter will be the best way to go. I especially like the rev matching on downshifts. I always had manual transmissions in my cars but this transmission is definately fun to play with. Stay Tuned!!
1 7/8" headers and exhaust from Stainless Works complete with nonNPP mufflers and 5"outlets, Katech ported TB, Moroso catch can, MRR M017 polished powder wheels, Eibach lowering springs, and BMR upper/ lower trailing arms and upper control arms. ZL1/1le sway bars and Magnusson Supercharger with Jannetty tune. Stay Tuned!!!......More to come.
2014 Camaro Ashen grey, 3.6, 6 speed, Vararam intake, Elite catch can, chrome wheels, and Vitesse controller.
2003 SSR red,
2016 Vette
Garys16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Where did you buy the pushbutton kit from?

Does anyone know why GM went with paddle shifters instead of something on the shifter itself? I have a friend who bought a new Hyundai Sonata and I would love to have that kind of shifter for when I want to manually shift.

I saw the shifter offered for sale on here from that guy from Massachusetts (uses buttons on the shifter), but there is something about actually being able to use the shifter itself instead of pressing a button that is more appealing to me...like in the Sonata and a bunch of other cars.
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1

Bumblebee, All the time for me, Once you get familiar with TAP SHIFT its really fun to drive in. Love the options we have with auto.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post

Bumblebee, All the time for me, Once you get familiar with TAP SHIFT its really fun to drive in. Love the options we have with auto.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
All the time on both cars.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
Garys16SS

Drives: 2016 SS, BLACK, MANUAL
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPace View Post
Where did you buy the pushbutton kit from?

Does anyone know why GM went with paddle shifters instead of something on the shifter itself? I have a friend who bought a new Hyundai Sonata and I would love to have that kind of shifter for when I want to manually shift.

I saw the shifter offered for sale on here from that guy from Massachusetts (uses buttons on the shifter), but there is something about actually being able to use the shifter itself instead of pressing a button that is more appealing to me...like in the Sonata and a bunch of other cars.
I bought the pushbutton shifter from CFD, located in Mass.,for $249.
1 7/8" headers and exhaust from Stainless Works complete with nonNPP mufflers and 5"outlets, Katech ported TB, Moroso catch can, MRR M017 polished powder wheels, Eibach lowering springs, and BMR upper/ lower trailing arms and upper control arms. ZL1/1le sway bars and Magnusson Supercharger with Jannetty tune. Stay Tuned!!!......More to come.
2014 Camaro Ashen grey, 3.6, 6 speed, Vararam intake, Elite catch can, chrome wheels, and Vitesse controller.
2003 SSR red,
2016 Vette
Garys16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
with your disability are you able to race the car ozzy? in the few years ive known you i never see you at the track with this car or the old bumble bee car.
I use to go every Wednesday and Friday nights when I had my '87 Grand National. That was roughly 15 years ago when I had a lot more time than I do now. I do plan on running my Z at least one time this winter season just to see what it will do.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #24
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I use it seleclectively, if you are trying to maintain a certain speed range and find two gears you like it is great. Otherwise I drive in manual and let the transmissin decide how I want to drive.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #25
BIGTIME

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Thats one feature I would look forward to having. Especially coming from a Lexus right now ( interested in ZL1)
BIGTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #26
Snickers
Rumblebee

Drives: ZL1 Rally Yellow
Im using it all the time, especially when slowing down due to traffic lights.
I even use it on the Autobahn when running into a left lane lurker (millions of 'em!), as everybody should have the chance to enjoy the sound of a Z

I usually shift down and put it back to auto mode when came to a full stop.

The sound when shifting down to 2nd in sport mode...
Even though my exhaust is stock except for some 200cpi cats btw. Can't wait for some headers...
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #27
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Im using it all the time, especially when slowing down due to traffic lights.
I even use it on the Autobahn when running into a left lane lurker (millions of 'em!), as everybody should have the chance to enjoy the sound of a Z

I usually shift down and put it back to auto mode when came to a full stop.

The sound when shifting down to 2nd in sport mode...
Even though my exhaust is stock except for some 200cpi cats btw. Can't wait for some headers...
Pretty cool to hear from someone in germany driving on the autobahn,
I dont drive my ZL1 all that much ,since I am wheelchair bound but It went right from the dealer to performance shop, think it was the 4th day i owned it.
I do enjoy using the paddles because its just fun,and I think its the only reason for having them on the car...I have used them at least once everyday i have driven the car but once...I use them to shift a little late,and to shift out of first gear instead of starting in second gear like leaving it in auto does... you can see the mods i have done to the car,and i hardly ever drive over 65mph,most of the time i am just doing 40mph around the area i live and might once in a while hold it in first gear till about 30mph while in 50% throttle which gets enough attention while in traffic for me,lol I can only shift up using hand-controls,so I dont ever shift down,which can be hard on the trans away once the power levels have jumped up as high as i have done to mine.
I most likely have the most baby 750hp ZL1 around... Not sure if you have heard a ZL1 with longtubes,off road pipes wide open Its pretty freaking loud even from 1/4mile away
I heard a friend of mine coming off the freeway one night(2am) in his Coupe set up the same way,and it sounds like a full on race car running down the road when its really late and there is no one else on the road...
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #28
eightup

Drives: 2013 zl1
every day
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote