Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #29
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Went out to wash the car this morning the fuel light comes on. Pull into the nearest top tier gasoline provider which happened to be a Citgo. I then realized that they don't even sell 91 so I went with 93. Very interested to hear people's thought on 91 vs 93 and the fact that I was provided 87 and 91 tunes. Obviously I'll be switching to the 91 tune later today and running through this 10 gallons of 93 I put in. Now I'm wondering if I will even be able to find 91 in Virginia.

Hoping some of you will share your thoughts on this and my previous posts.

Really interested to confirm that I have true tap shift now and not just ERS like I did before. Can't remember how to confirm that...

Will if your listening... let me know about 91 vs 93 please. Do you have a 93 tune? Is there any benefit to running 93 vs 91 with the LFX?

At this point all I'm seeing in Virginia is 87 89 93 will try a different gas provider next time and let you know what they have. Mobil, Shell, BP are the other top tier manufacturers that I see regularly... PLEASE ADVISE.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #30
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
I've running 93 from Citgo in my LFX since 2013. With the 11.5 to compression ratio, it is good/better to run premium. I know that you can advance the timing more with higher octane and higher compression. It will be interesting to see if Will changes anything from 91 to 93. That's how he gets more power out of E85 by advancing the timing more, as E85 is about 106 octane. Let us know what Will says. The 91 tune may just be his starting base point, he may tune into the 93 with his data logging customization for your individual tune.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #31
sixtyseven

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT/RS 2017 XL1200C
He use to have this tune listed as 91/93 tune. As long as you use 91 or higher your fine. Certain parts of the country don't offer 93 and 91 is the highest available at those locations. No discernible difference.

I've been running shell 93 always. Didn't get any tweaks after logging data. Will said data looks good.
2015 2LT/RS Black -w- CGM Rally Stripes. CAI, Elite CC, Apex air scoop + w/b kit, JacFab ported IM/Extendolator, Solo HFC's, Corsa Sport Cat-Back #14953, GM strut brace, GM stealth splash guards, GM premium floor mats, Defenderworx two tone sills, Emblem Pro LFX hood emblems, FR41-20x9/20x10 gloss black wheels, OK91/93 - OKTCM Tune.

sixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #32
2015LSCamaro

Drives: 2015 LS1 Camaro
I wish I could help you out with your 91/93 question but I'm not sure. I uploaded my E85 tune today and put 10 gallons in her and she runs so much better. My tune file from Will was named 91 but it has the E85 tune on it so maybe your 91 tune file is 93?
2015LSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #33
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
The tune is 91+. It covers everything from 91 and onward. The higher the octane, the better timing advance you will get, and the better the performance. The difference will be slight from your point of view though. Any octane between 91-93 will be fine with that tune. I'm sure that running 87 would be fine with a 91+ tune as well. It just might be slightly sluggish due to the timing being slightly off. It won't be harmful though by any means.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #34
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Oh yeah, and the owner's manual has a pretty good description of how Tap Shift works. If you don't have yours, I can email you a copy of my 2015 manual.

Basically, there are two modes in the non-2LS cars, Sport Mode and Manual Mode. Both are engaged by having the shifter in the "M" position. Sport mode is just like Drive in the sense that it shifts automatically for you, but is supposed to have a better shifting sequence for spirited driving than Drive does. Just shifting to "M" puts our cars in Sport Mode, and we see an S in the lower left corner of our digital display.

If you then hit either of the paddle shifters while the shifter is in "M", you go into Manual Mode where you now have to shift manually using the paddle shifters. In our cars, we can shift up and down as we desire, but the computer will deny a shift either way if our rpms don't match the safety range of the gears. Your modified 2LS trans may or may not work the same. When driving in Manual Mode, we see M1-M6 in the lower left corner of our digital display depending on what gear we are in. We also don't have to downshift because the computer does that for us even though we are in manual mode. Again, that may or may not be the case in your trans tune. You'll have to experiment and see how close Will's trans tune matches the normal performance of Manual Mode. To get out of Manual Mode and back into Sport Mode, you just hold down one of the paddle shifters for 2-3 seconds.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #35
willoverkill

Drives: Fast
Each tune is marked for the minimum recommended octane for each, not to be taken too literally, you can run 93 on the 91 tune and yes I can probably increase timing a little more for 93 octane but I like to take it case by case depending how the datalogs look!
willoverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #36
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by willoverkill View Post
Each tune is marked for the minimum recommended octane for each, not to be taken too literally, you can run 93 on the 91 tune and yes I can probably increase timing a little more for 93 octane but I like to take it case by case depending how the datalogs look!
Thanks for the info Will!!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #37
sspade

Thanks everyone.

I will re record data and send it to you Will now that Im running straight 93. We can go from there.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #38
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Oh yeah, and the owner's manual has a pretty good description of how Tap Shift works. If you don't have yours, I can email you a copy of my 2015 manual.

Basically, there are two modes in the non-2LS cars, Sport Mode and Manual Mode. Both are engaged by having the shifter in the "M" position. Sport mode is just like Drive in the sense that it shifts automatically for you, but is supposed to have a better shifting sequence for spirited driving than Drive does. Just shifting to "M" puts our cars in Sport Mode, and we see an S in the lower left corner of our digital display.

If you then hit either of the paddle shifters while the shifter is in "M", you go into Manual Mode where you now have to shift manually using the paddle shifters. In our cars, we can shift up and down as we desire, but the computer will deny a shift either way if our rpms don't match the safety range of the gears. Your modified 2LS trans may or may not work the same. When driving in Manual Mode, we see M1-M6 in the lower left corner of our digital display depending on what gear we are in. We also don't have to downshift because the computer does that for us even though we are in manual mode. Again, that may or may not be the case in your trans tune. You'll have to experiment and see how close Will's trans tune matches the normal performance of Manual Mode. To get out of Manual Mode and back into Sport Mode, you just hold down one of the paddle shifters for 2-3 seconds.
I recently, a couple months ago, discovered I can jump to manual from "D" drive mode. It will go back to "D" the same way auto sport mode is re-engaged by holding the upshift paddle for a few seconds. I swear the first time I hit the paddle while in "D" I left it in manual for a bit and it switched back to "D" by itself. I tried it again this morning and waited a bit to see if it would go back but got impatient and then just held the upshift until it did. So, you can enter "Manual" mode with the shifter in "D" or "M".
Old 03-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #39
sixtyseven

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT/RS 2017 XL1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
I recently, a couple months ago, discovered I can jump to manual from "D" drive mode. It will go back to "D" the same way auto sport mode is re-engaged by holding the upshift paddle for a few seconds. I swear the first time I hit the paddle while in "D" I left it in manual for a bit and it switched back to "D" by itself. I tried it again this morning and waited a bit to see if it would go back but got impatient and then just held the upshift until it did. So, you can enter "Manual" mode with the shifter in "D" or "M".
The trans will allow you to manual shift from "D" but its not in manual mode. It's just temporary and still in drive mode. It's listed in the car manual. For instances like engine braking or passing. Paddle downshift and step on it and it will up shift on its own. Don't step on it and it will continue downshifting. (engine braking).
2015 2LT/RS Black -w- CGM Rally Stripes. CAI, Elite CC, Apex air scoop + w/b kit, JacFab ported IM/Extendolator, Solo HFC's, Corsa Sport Cat-Back #14953, GM strut brace, GM stealth splash guards, GM premium floor mats, Defenderworx two tone sills, Emblem Pro LFX hood emblems, FR41-20x9/20x10 gloss black wheels, OK91/93 - OKTCM Tune.

sixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #40
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyseven View Post
The trans will allow you to manual shift from "D" but its not in manual mode. It's just temporary and still in drive mode. It's listed in the car manual. For instances like engine braking or passing. Paddle downshift and step on it and it will up shift on its own. Don't step on it and it will continue downshifting. (engine braking).
Roger that. I hadn't had any chance to test this functionality extensively so, Thanks.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #41
sspade

Based on what I'm reading above... I should delete the data I captured running 87 and 87 tune and record new data now that I'm running 93 and 91 tune. Then submit to Will for a revision.

Also... Not trying to sound cool by any stretch of the imagination but Monday morning on my way back to Lynchburg (from Blacksburg) I hit 125 MPH on 81 N. Definitely my top speed so far...

Just wondering and NOT trying to start a pissing match but how fast have y'all gotten your LFX up to? Previously, I hit 116 a few times and the stock tune shut the engine down. Since Ive had Overkill tune, I have hit 121 and 125.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #42
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Just wondering and NOT trying to start a pissing match but how fast have y'all gotten your LFX up to? Previously, I hit 116 a few times and the stock tune shut the engine down. Since Ive had Overkill tune, I have hit 121 and 125.
115-120 on the track at Sebring. Expecting to be faster next time around with some upgraded brakes. Fast is only nice if you can stop as well.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote