Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Alfdawg

Drives: 2014 camaro ss
Help. Subwoofers not loud as expected

I just got my 4 channel and subwoofer amp installed. The 4 channel amp is jl audio xd400/4v2 and the sub amp is sundown audio sae 2000d. I have the fark harness and the sub amp is hooked to the pass thru on the jl audio amp. And I also have 2 sundown sa 12s in a ported box tuned to 33hz. My subwoofers isnt as loud as I expected. But I noticed if I turn the bass up on the factory headunit the subwoofers get louder but also does the bass in the speakers and it sound horrible. And also the subs sound good at about 15 but if I go pass that they dont get any louder. So is the factory head unit the problem? Is there a way I can control the subs and speakers separately? Like on an aftermarket radio.
Attached Images

Alfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Should have a full signal to the sub amp. Also set the high pass crossover higher on the 4 channel amp if the mids are distorting
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
I’m not a big audio guy here but those subs are definitely part 1 of your problems. I would bet your limiting your potential with a stock head unit as well. Some jl/alpine type r subs would knock for sure. Maybe a friend of yours with an awesome loud system would let you test his subs on your system, just offer him lunch. Good luck.
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers

Last edited by Mr2Hard2See; 10-23-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngdeezy510 View Post
I’m not a big audio guy here but those subs are definitely part 1 of your problems. I would bet your limiting your potential with a stock head unit as well. Some jl subs would knock for sure. Maybe a friend of yours with an awesome loud system would let you test his subs on your system, just offer him lunch. Good luck.
What's wrong with them subs?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
You need a after market head unit with sub control. Makes a world of difference being able to turn up the subs and not affect the mids and highs in the cabin
Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
What are your other factory components besides the head unit? Do you have the Bose factory amp or no amp at all for your normal speakers? What are the 4 channels of your JL Audio amp being used for?

You will want a crossover to roll off the bass on the regular speakers at the very minimum. Whether you can do that easily or not will depend on your current configuration.

Are the gain pots on the amp turned all the way up?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Could try turning up the gain on the sub amp, don't recommend going much past half gain tho, will make the rms watts dirty and hot ( could lead to burnt voice coils)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfdawg View Post
What's wrong with them subs?
I don’t have experience with them but I’ve seen them at our local flea markets/swap meet which carry bargain audio equipment like Pyle, earthquake, sundown etc. I didn’t mean to offend you if I did sorry about that buddy. Just trying to give some advice
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #9
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I doubt your local swap meet has sundown. Probably a different spelling as sa12's will take 1k rms no problem with a clean signal. SA is on par with DC, DD, acentant audio, FI, ect. I'd take any of these subs over alpine or jl any day of the week.

OP do you have the boston stet up?
Do you have the rca's hooked up properly? Maybe put the sub rca's in the mid section.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
What are your other factory components besides the head unit? Do you have the Bose factory amp or no amp at all for your normal speakers? What are the 4 channels of your JL Audio amp being used for?

You will want a crossover to roll off the bass on the regular speakers at the very minimum. Whether you can do that easily or not will depend on your current configuration.

Are the gain pots on the amp turned all the way up?
My headunit and interior speakers are the only factory components. I had the boston acoustic amp but I replaced it with the jl audio xd400/4v2. The jl amp is powering the interior speakers. No the gains are not all the way up. The gain on the subwoofer amp is about halfway.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngdeezy510 View Post
I don’t have experience with them but I’ve seen them at our local flea markets/swap meet which carry bargain audio equipment like Pyle, earthquake, sundown etc. I didn’t mean to offend you if I did sorry about that buddy. Just trying to give some advice
No offense taken. I thought maybe you knew something I didnt. I did extensive research before purchasing them. Sundown audio is most definitely a quality brand and not cheap.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
I doubt your local swap meet has sundown. Probably a different spelling as sa12's will take 1k rms no problem with a clean signal. SA is on par with DC, DD, acentant audio, FI, ect. I'd take any of these subs over alpine or jl any day of the week.

OP do you have the boston stet up?
Do you have the rca's hooked up properly? Maybe put the sub rca's in the mid section.
Yes my car came with the boston set up. Yes the rcas are hooked up properly. I had everything professionally installed.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Do you have your frequency's adjusted properly? Your jl should start at around 75-100, subsonic and low pass on the sundown should be set around 30-75/100.

Also gain isnt a bass knob. It needs to be set at the head units voltage output. Also how your electrical. That 2k amp would pull alot of current.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
Do you have your frequency's adjusted properly? Your jl should start at around 75-100, subsonic and low pass on the sundown should be set around 30-75/100.

Also gain isnt a bass knob. It needs to be set at the head units voltage output. Also how your electrical. That 2k agp would pull alot of current.
I know a few things about audio but I don't really know much about the amp settings. But the jl amp seems go be set right because the inside speakers sound excellent. And the sundown amp gain is about halfway and the low pass is around 100.

I'm running everything off of the stock electrical right now. I wanted to see how that would hold up first. And my lights in the inside are dimming if I have it turnt up. I'm not really sure if I should get a second battery or upgrade the factory battery.

Tags
audio head unit subs, audio upgrade, audio upgrade boston acoustics