Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #43
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I think it should build on the phrase they already coined. It should be a mustang and a challenger in a race at the strip, The tree hits green and they take off.

As they speed towards the finish line, a camaro splits them right down the middle and continues passed the turn off point (don't know what it's called at a track).

"Why drive challengers when you could drive champions?"

"Join the revolution" as the american revolution graphic splashes up on the screen like the magazine ad.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #44
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
D@mn, you guys type a lot when I'm gone...

I'll read back through it later, but someone mentioned the Z28 or SS being top dog....I know this isn't the right thread, but Dragon knows what I'm talking about when I say we've been watching what Scott's been saying and it's been strongly hinted that Z28 might be the big daddy this go around.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 AM   #45
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
D@mn, you guys type a lot when I'm gone...

I'll read back through it later, but someone mentioned the Z28 or SS being top dog....I know this isn't the right thread, but Dragon knows what I'm talking about when I say we've been watching what Scott's been saying and it's been strongly hinted that Z28 might be the big daddy this go around.
for now...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:15 AM   #46
cannondalerider
LSWEE

Drives: CGM LS3 2SS/RS
I've linked to this before, but I'll do it one last time:
http://www.mallettcars.com/index.html

Anyway you look at it, I'm getting a powerful v8 Camaro... ASAP.

And besides, buying a v6 and replacing it with an LS3 on my own would mean much better insurance rates...
cannondalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #47
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalerider View Post
I've linked to this before, but I'll do it one last time:
http://www.mallettcars.com/index.html

Anyway you look at it, I'm getting a powerful v8 Camaro... ASAP.

And besides, buying a v6 and replacing it with an LS3 on my own would mean much better insurance rates...
No way you'd save a penny. I wanted to do the same. Changing over from a V6 to V8 means a new radiator, alternator, electrical, headers, etc, etc, etc...even if you decided against an LS3 and went for the LS1, you'd still pay more. Sorry...not trying to be a prick. But, I've been there, done that, and if all you want is to save $$$ on insurance, this isn't the answer....it's calling around. Besides, if you ever did get the change made, you'd want to make sure that puppy is INSURED!!! You don't tell the ins co that you've made the switch and guess what? You call for a claim and they deny cause you never updated w/ your mods.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #48
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
No way you'd save a penny. I wanted to do the same. Changing over from a V6 to V8 means a new radiator, alternator, electrical, headers, etc, etc, etc...even if you decided against an LS3 and went for the LS1, you'd still pay more. Sorry...not trying to be a prick. But, I've been there, done that, and if all you want is to save $$$ on insurance, this isn't the answer....it's calling around. Besides, if you ever did get the change made, you'd want to make sure that puppy is INSURED!!! You don't tell the ins co that you've made the switch and guess what? You call for a claim and they deny cause you never updated w/ your mods.
Agree 100%. People would ask a lot about swapping an I6 into their 4 cylinder Wrangler all the time. Not worth it. Different transmission and spline count, plus all the other stuff underhood that Tag already mentioned. The insurance money would cost less than an engine swap anyway
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #49
cannondalerider
LSWEE

Drives: CGM LS3 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
Agree 100%. People would ask a lot about swapping an I6 into their 4 cylinder Wrangler all the time. Not worth it. Different transmission and spline count, plus all the other stuff underhood that Tag already mentioned. The insurance money would cost less than an engine swap anyway
Yeah... I know... but it would also mean having a more rare car, something special. I totally agree the cost of the vehicle would be more, much more, than if the factory offered what I want. But that is just the thing. I know what I want, and cannot justify spending 25k-30k on a car that isn't going to make me happy... I don't mind the extra cost associated with having a car that I feel is just right. Look at people that bag trucks: sure, they could swap springs, shocks, whatever, but they spend the extra money, change a whole bunch of parts, and are genuinely happy with the end result. Basically any car mod will have its benefits and costs and its just how people weigh those and make a decision they will enjoy.

The insurance part of what I said didn't make sense... what can I say, drunkin' posting...
cannondalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #50
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalerider View Post
Yeah... I know... but it would also mean having a more rare car, something special. I totally agree the cost of the vehicle would be more, much more, than if the factory offered what I want. But that is just the thing. I know what I want, and cannot justify spending 25k-30k on a car that isn't going to make me happy... I don't mind the extra cost associated with having a car that I feel is just right. Look at people that bag trucks: sure, they could swap springs, shocks, whatever, but they spend the extra money, change a whole bunch of parts, and are genuinely happy with the end result. Basically any car mod will have its benefits and costs and its just how people weigh those and make a decision they will enjoy.

The insurance part of what I said didn't make sense... what can I say, drunkin' posting...
It will certainly be more expensive to swap in a V8 than to buy it from the factory that way. Customization is cool though.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #51
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Don't be surprised if the opposite of what you said occurs. They showed us a 400 hp Concept. They said, "this is what the top-of-the-line would be". Then Our friend Ed Peper said this during an interview for Autoblog:
Quote:
Autoblog: Is there concern about stepping on the Corvette, power-wise?

Ed Peper: No. Because again, the capabilities of a Corvette are world class. I mean, we are talking about a vehicle that competes in the American Le Mans Series with Aston Martins and all –no, there is no concern because what the Camaro is going to be is what it has always been, which is a really great looking vehicle that will have a muscle car or muscle car set of derivatives with it, but that will also have a fuel efficient version. It's a vehicle that you really, really can drive every single day -- a four seater and so forth, while Corvette is in a class all by itself. It's one of our ultimate brands at the company that just continues to do well. We try to keep the production, you know, in line and not build too many so it keeps a very strong demand. The Z06s are some of the fastest turning vehicles that we have.
They can't hand us a Camaro with less than 400hp (It'd be the worlds biggest WTF?!? moment)...

More power does not neccesarily cost more money. As engines advance you get more power for the same price. Check out the LS series:
LS-1 +/- 350hp.
LS-2 400hp
LS-3 430(6) hp

And all those engines cost about 7k by themselves in their time.
and they're not worried about stepping on the Vette (I'm not saying they will, though). So... I just spurt out what I read. Not trying to be an ass.:p
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #52
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Don't be surprised if the opposite of what you said occurs. They showed us a 400 hp Concept. They said, "this is what the top-of-the-line would be". Then Our friend Ed Peper said this during an interview for Autoblog:
They can't hand us a Camaro with less than 400hp (It'd be the worlds biggest WTF?!? moment)...

More power does not neccesarily cost more money. As engines advance you get more power for the same price. Check out the LS series:
LS-1 +/- 350hp.
LS-2 400hp
LS-3 430(6) hp

And all those engines cost about 7k by themselves in their time.
and they're not worried about stepping on the Vette (I'm not saying they will, though). So... I just spurt out what I read. Not trying to be an ass.:p

pluuuuuuuuuus, the camaro engines are derived from the corvette engines. the vette comes out with a new engine, then the next year the camaro gets a detuned version of the same engine. throw a tune at it and you've got vette hp!

but as a general rule

FAST
CHEAP
RELIABLE

pick 2.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #53
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Nice addition to your sig, my friend...LMAO,
Old 09-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #54
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Nice addition to your sig, my friend...LMAO,
I just thought it was funny

cough *adding to my distaste of the new GTO* cough

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #55
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm not an expert on these things, but it seems like historically the Camaro has often as not recieved a corvette engine that is a year or two old for use in the top Camaro. so its not as if it would be shocking to hear that the camaro gets the LS3 at 430 hp. Also, I have read in some mag a few months ago (ie don't take this too seriously) that the guys working on the Camaro are NOT worried about the 425 hp 6.1L hemi in the Challenger. Take that how you want
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #56
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm not an expert on these things, but it seems like historically the Camaro has often as not recieved a corvette engine that is a year or two old for use in the top Camaro. so its not as if it would be shocking to hear that the camaro gets the LS3 at 430 hp. Also, I have read in some mag a few months ago (ie don't take this too seriously) that the guys working on the Camaro are NOT worried about the 425 hp 6.1L hemi in the Challenger. Take that how you want
yup yup yup

they did say they werent/arent worried about the challenger

look at it this way

Challenger
425hp 4000lbs

Camaro
430hp ~3680lbs

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: